Bands with the best drum solos.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Shrieve transferred to the Catholic boys high school in our Junior year. We were acquaintances, maybe shared a couple classes, and had a number of mutual friends. Don't know how he had time for homework, because I think he was already playing gigs before graduation.

Another musician classmate and I stopped by the place Mike Shrieve was living after Santana's first album was out and before the second. Mike was very hard at work practicing Latin beats, and I remember him remarking that manager Bill Graham was enjoying the lion's share of the money.

Should be a fairly short-lived thread...can anyone really say they enjoy drum solos (repeat play of drum solos anyone?)...an occasional diversion maybe...but generally to be avoided.

I remember seeing John Hiseman's Colliseum in the 70's...top band, top drummer (I think Gary Moore was the guitarist at the time...the memory fades)...when he went into his drum solo I wandered off back to the bar, queued for a drink...met a girl in the queue...got to know her...wooed her, proposed, married her, had a lovely honeymoon in Tenerife, unfortunatlely got caught smuggling currency back into the UK and had to serve a medium term gaol sentence...meanwhile she produced two lovely children who went on to be equally lovely teenagers...did rather well actually. Anyway, at a loose end one Sunday I found myself wandering back to the bar...had a long argument with a doorman about whether my ticket was still valid...eventually won the argument and returned to the auditorium...where John Hiseman was just putting the final flourishes to his polyrhythmic masterpiece...

...honest. :)

I have to agree with Johnnyguitar on this one and believe it or not I'm a drummer. I've just never cared much for guys playing a bunch of notes that are frequently unrelated to the song. I'd much rather hear a drummer who can make the band groove and adds occasional tasteful fill ins or short breaks.

I agree with Jazzcat to an extent in relating to playing drums, the most overlooked part of a band's assemble. I'm an experienced bassist & have been in 3 previous garage/small-gig bands in the past. Reflecting from any given drummer that I've been affiliated with, it's much more difficult & skill-laden to play any form of percussion at proper pulsate, while synchronizing the beat to match the guitar duo/trio's chords.