Music in the 21st Century.

Valhalla

Music in the 21st century has been quite depressing. The sad thing is, that because I'm only 13, I started listening to music in the 21st century. Their just isn't any good music that anyone knows about right know. There are a lot of good unpopular bands (The Alkaline Trio, MugWump, Homegrown, etc.), but nobody really good in the world of rock has gone big except for The White Stripes. The pop's a disgrace, and I'm not a rap fan (which doesn't mean it's bad).

Another bad thing about rock in the 21st century, is the Deaths of Joey Ramone (2000), Joe Strummer and George Harrison (2001), and John Entwhistle (2002). As far as I know, no famous rock musicians have died this year (Thank God).

That's too bad about Barry White. I didn't even know he had been ill.

Anyway, today's music is mostly pretty bad to me. A lot of the stuff I listen to is from the early- to mid-90s and the 70s. Most of the new bands that I think are good have no longevity, which is the major problem. To me, there are only a few great, current (well known) bands that I think can last awhile. Off the top of my head, I think my favourites are Disturbed and System of a Down. But yeah, there is a definite lack of popular music out there I really enjoy.

Barry White will be missed by many.

I agree with Aneurysm, although I would like to know what Aneurysm is. If anybody has any current bands they like, please post them here for all to see.

If you'd like to see some I like, view my profile.

Listening to the radio (especially modern rock radio) can definitely make you lose your faith in new music. Think about how many bands simply faded away over the last few years. I agree that many of the best bands are not getting exposure, and that's a shame. Some of the new artists on my IPod include The Coral, Damien Rice, and Maroon 5. There are some good local bands in the Northeast US as well, but their live shows are usually much better than their CDs.

::

For me personally, music has never been better. Radio play of some stuff that I don't like means that I can stick my (whispers) Beach Boys (normal tone) CD on repeat non-stop for ten hours and never get bored.

Seriously though. I like to think that I have a broad taste in music. When I say broad, I mean broad. Not like the difference between The Smashing Pumpkins and Zwan, to name just two. I can and have listened to Bon Jovi and Westlife at near enough the same time.

Over the three or four or so years that I have been buying music, I have bought, borrowed, and re-recorded over 3000 CD's. Most of which I still like, most of which were relatively cheap. Most of which still now are. I refuse to pay too much for music. I have felt the same since Napster went down. £20 is my absolute limit for a double CD, £40 for a four CD box-set. n>4 CD box sets whereby n = number of CD's within package, such as that (n=6) released by The Beach Boys I decide upon the merits of the individual artist(s).

Anyway, back on topic...

A lot of CD's which never made the chart in Britain (I define chart as top 40 are now very hard to come across. Mainly they are techno CD's which I see now and again in bargain bins. And hey, it's music, it's cheap, why not share the love?

That's me done for now...

mb

• 4 months later...

1st off two of the bands you mentioned are pretty popular... and there are TONS of bands nowadays that are amazing... like genius... just dont listen to the poopy radio... nothing good is there. you have to search the web for your fav bands and see who they are touring with. then you see who they have toured with... then you will find you will like. oh and the white stripes are poopy! ew! hehe

• 3 years later...