RIAA: Ripping your music CDs is illegal!

Otokichi

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004409.php

Just as Australian and the UK authories seem to be thinking about allowing "CD ripping" to .mp3 players/computers, the RIAA has decided to rejoin the British Commonwealth! :stars:

President Washington, it's time to get the campaign coat out of mothballs and send these usurpers packing! :mad:

I absolutely agree with it - General Washington ... back to the grave ( don't summon spirits haphazardly ! ) . The tech that makes CD's is wonderful , and the fact that they can be easily copied and sent to an infinite number of people is a loophole that many are making huge profits from - as opposed to a real job. This benefits no one , Otokicki - you, the supposed ' owner ' of the music, the artists who wants to be compensated for their efforts, nor the pirate and his/ her many recepticals ( but mainly them ) .

I have no problem , in the least , with the concept that if I can't afford / am unwilling to pay for a particular service, that is not within my means to have, so tough luck for me . Why can't everyone see this basic truth ?

The fact that you can easily copy digital files presently is no reason to assume that you have ' the right to ' simply copy because you own a master / or a copy ( and I would point out this ' as a business' rather than sharing with a few friends ) .

The problem with life on Earth is often people who'll look for the 'loophole ' and exploit it rather than stand back and say ' I COULD do that - it'd be wrong - so I won't ' - where do you stand ?!

I used to tape my favourit songs from the radio on a cassette, that would be illegal too, right? :P

Oh, I´ve done that too every day since I was 13... Farin, maybe we´re in trouble, you know? Do you think they have computers in jail? :grin:

I'm sorry, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous (if I am reading this right) for a directory to force me to support artists by buying their CD to listen to it in a CD player, and then if I want to hear it on my PC or my iPod, I have to purchase the whole album again in MP3 format!

I don't believe artists would support such stupidity - if you have legally bought it and paid the full price for it what you do with it, in your personal capacity , is your business!

I am 100% against illegal downloads and P2P sharing, but if you have no intention of profiting or distributing the files you have purchased in whatever format - why the heck can't you rip your legally purchased goods to another personal use format?

So, if I want to make a driving mix CD for my car out of various songs off various albums which I have legally purchased - a CD which only I will hear and will be the one and only copy ever, I have to what then? Haul all my legally purchased CDs along with me in the car and put each disk in in order and select the songs I want to hear as a mix in this way? Puh-leez!

My other option is to purchase the drivel driving type CDs spammed into CD stores just to be "legal" in their eyes?

Or am I hyperventilating over here for nothing and have the wrong end of the stick? If not, work is irritating me so I got to rant and vent anyway :D

Of course that's ridiculous. But it's equally as ridiculous, when I have to pay 17-20 € for a CD with 10 tracks (30 min. of music). But maybe I could live with that (maybe). Even worse a Single/Maxi (which I never buy): 8 € for 3 or 4 tracks, which are almost everytime the song, a radio edit and maybe an acustic version or some remix.

And then I thought Napster has made a good offer: 10€ per month (and a seven day free trial) and you can download and listen to as many songs as you like. But then I read the fine print: You can only listen to the songs you downloaded as long as you pay your fee. After that they get blocked...

I'm not too happy with the music industry as it is now. And they blame me, if I try to make the most of the songs I pay for...

[/soapbox]

Please, for the love of all that is holy, tell me that you meant you had to wipe saliva off your computer and nothing else. My breakfast hasn't quite settled in yet.

No actually it was orange juice, but I managed to hold my laughter until I swallowed the majority...

a few drops escaped, though ;)

I'm sorry, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous (if I am reading this right) for a directory to force me to support artists by buying their CD to listen to it in a CD player, and then if I want to hear it on my PC or my iPod, I have to purchase the whole album again in MP3 format!

I don't believe artists would support such stupidity - if you have legally bought it and paid the full price for it what you do with it, in your personal capacity , is your business!

I am 100% against illegal downloads and P2P sharing, but if you have no intention of profiting or distributing the files you have purchased in whatever format - why the heck can't you rip your legally purchased goods to another personal use format?

So, if I want to make a driving mix CD for my car out of various songs off various albums which I have legally purchased - a CD which only I will hear and will be the one and only copy ever, I have to what then? Haul all my legally purchased CDs along with me in the car and put each disk in in order and select the songs I want to hear as a mix in this way? Puh-leez!

My other option is to purchase the drivel driving type CDs spammed into CD stores just to be "legal" in their eyes?

Or am I hyperventilating over here for nothing and have the wrong end of the stick? If not, work is irritating me so I got to rant and vent anyway :D

I ripped some songs off my CDs just to put them in my iPod. But fact of the matter is that once I can do that, if I didn't have such amazing will power and sheer lack of concern for other people, I might be willing to put it up and distribute it to the world. Unfortunately for the world, I don't like sharing.

I ripped some songs off my CDs just to put them in my iPod. But fact of the matter is that once I can do that, if I didn't have such amazing will power and sheer lack of concern for other people, I might be willing to put it up and distribute it to the world. Unfortunately for the world, I don't like sharing.

Exactly. These music artist are lucky I have no friends.