The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 12

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least my songs got a couple of votes from other people. I knew they wouldn't make the top ten. High Hopes is one of my favourite songs, but it seems no one else agrees.

We've finally got three 80s songs into the same top ten. I should have known Personal Jesus would have been popular. I'll have to keep on trying until one of my own 80s nominations gets there.

Never mind c s ! With all the 'old fogies' here I suppose we expect to see the Beatles, Stones, Who, CSNY, etc. get the bulk of the votes. I would have liked to have seen something other than a Beatles' song at the top again really. It was refreshing last Top Ten to have a solo artist, Cat Stevens, make #1 - even though he beat my second favorite Beatles' song of all time. As you'll see here 3 songs really dominated this Top Ten; the other spots were always up for grabs. It was good to see three 80s songs make the Ten, one of them Shawna's Dire Straits nomination (as she so modestly pointed out). :grin: I was also pleased to see The Mamas & The Papas and The Kinks grace our Top Ten for the first time. We just missed out by 1 Point getting a great 50s song, Mack The Knife, in too.

HERE'S HOW ALL 50 OF YOUR NOMINATIONS POLLED. :)

The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) - Simon & Garfunkel 41

96 Tears - ? & The Mysterians 32

Abraham, Martin and John - Dion 31

All My Loving - The Beatles 92

Barracuda - Heart 12

Blue Monday - New Order 24

California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas 87

The Candy Man - Sammy Davis Jr. 17

Down Under - Men At Work 43

Funkytown - Lipps,Inc. 14

Garden Party - Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band 28

Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman 15

Here Comes My Baby - The Tremeloes 4

High Hopes - Pink Floyd 12

I Say A Little Prayer For You - Aretha Franklin 17

I'm The Only One - Melissa Etheridge 17

Imagine - John Lennon Plastic Ono Band 91

Kiss Off - The Violent Femmes 5

La Grange - ZZ Top 28

Listen To Her Heart - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers 8

Love Reign O'er Me - The Who 39

Lust For Life - Iggy Pop 31

Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin 38

Mockingbird - Carly Simon And James Taylor 15

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits 43

More Love - Smokey Robinson 16

My Happiness - Powderfinger 17

My Name Is Jonas - Weezer 10

Never Can Say Goodbye - The Jackson 5 9

Ohio - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 42

One Way Or Another - Blondie 25

Only The Strong Survive - Jerry Butler 11

Only You Know and I Know - Dave Mason 24

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode 49

Raw Power - Iggy and the Stooges 18

Russian Roulette - The Lords of the New Church 1

San Franciscan Nights - Eric Burdon & The Animals 25

Singer Not The Song, The - The Rolling Stones 20

S.O.S - ABBA 16

Stop! In The Name Of Love - The Supremes 27

Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks 44

Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand 24

These Boots Are Made For Walkin' - Nancy Sinatra 33

Thrill Is Gone, The - B.B. King 35

Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles 28

We're An American Band - Grand Funk 17

What I Like About You - The Romantics 15

Work Song - Paul Butterfield Blues Band 27

You're A Big Girl Now - Bob Dylan 12

Your Love - The Outfield 1

Thank you Shawna ! :) Just joking about the 'modesty'.

Wednesday (here) is a good day for me to work on the boards, because it's my Wife Val's shopping day. I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to shopping, so she lets me stay home and play on the computer.

This one was really tough... great Top Ten!!!

"All my loving" (good nomination, Radhi :thumbsup: ) is a must... I don't like "Imagine" though... but we must admit it's a very popular song. And "Personal Jesus" is a good song too...

This time none of my nominations made it to the Top Ten... no problemo, I like to be somehow snobish and "ellitist" :grin: and "The singer, not the song" didn't make it neither... tss...

"All my loving" (good nomination, Radhi :thumbsup: ) is a must.

Well if Radhi nominated it, I'm glad it made #1. :thumbsup:

I just meant in my comments before that it's good to see something different or a bit unusual reach #1 sometimes. I don't believe most of us would have thought that a Cat Stevens' song would have been our first #1 by a solo artist ! A great nomination as it turned out. We like our Groups mainly, don't we?

:)

Hi Rachel ! There's a lot of 90s songs I like, but they'd be all mainstream Pop ones. I was thinking of nominating "Un-break My Heart"/ Toni Braxton and "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" / The Offspring. Do you like those ? Anyone else ? Farin ?

:)

All My Loving made #1!!! Woo-hoo! I am so happy! :) :) :) Second time one of my nominations made it! And this time at numbah ONE!

Ok, ok it's a little cliched giving a Beatles song, and it's likely to be in the top ten, but this my Favourite and it's numero uno!

I'll stop now... but I'm just really excited! :D :D

Katie, I haven't watched it at all. Val and my 2 big sons called me a pessimist, but I've been saying all along that the N.S.W. forwards were a mile too big for our guys, and that Brent Tait couldn't possibly be match fit. Unfortunately I'm

being proven right !

:P

Man OLD 55 NO FOSTERS? That is tough. Nexium is an oral medication that has pretty much cleared up my acid stomach problems. As long as I take one a day I can eat and drink pretty much what I want in modertation. Of course moderation is the key. This memorial day weekend coming up my brother-in-law, the French Chef, is coming to town. There goes the moderation principle.

rtstuff

Though written and recorded as an album track by Simon & Garfunkel, as listed in the Top Ten, most folks were first introduced to "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" by the short-lived group, Harpers Bizarre, who later had a lesser known chart entry with "Anything Goes." The band (formerly known locally in California as The Tikis prior to renaming itself with a wordplay on a popular lady's magazine, Harpers Bazaar) disbanded in 1969. The group's frontman, Ted Templeman, went on to become a successful album producer, collaborating with acts such as: Carly Simon, Sammy Hagar, Van Morrison and Eric Clapton. Templeton is credited with "discovering" The Doobie Brothers and producing their first album; later doing the same for Van Halen.