The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 12

NOMINATIONS FOR TOP TEN #12 NOW BEING TAKEN. !!!

:headphones:

HERE'S WHAT WE HAVE SO FAR:

Earth-Angel

The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feeling Groovy) - Simon & Garfunkel

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

c s 1987

My Happiness - Powderfinger

High Hopes - Pink Floyd

Judo

California Dreaming - The Mamas & The Papas

Funkytown - Lipps,Inc.

UncleJoe

Only The Strong Survive - Jerry Butler

More Love - Smokey Robinson

Steel2Velvet

The Thrill Is Gone - BB King

Down Under - Men At Work

Shawna

What I Like About You - Romantics

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits

CanAm

Ohio - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Here Comes My Baby - The Tremeloes

bluesboy

Work Song - Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Only You Know and I Know - Dave Mason

:coolio:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He sure was ! There's a couple of oldies of his that I'd love to get, but I've never found them on Compilations, Downloads, etc.

* Stan' Up And Fight - from Carmen Jones

* And This Is My Beloved - from Kismet

Both circa 1955. If anybody can help me I'd be very grateful !

P.S. These aren't my nominations for the Top Ten. :)

Edited by Guest
Sammy Davis Jr.

For sure Phil! Thanks very much bluesboy. I'll have to see if that 1999 Boxed Set is still available on import.He did a lot of songs from Guys And Dolls and Carmen Jones; I'd forgotten about his duets with Carmen McCrae.

Isn't it amazing how at least one song is always missing from any 'Greatest Hits'/ 'Anthology' Collections ? Over 90 songs in that Box Set but no Stan' Up And Fight !

:)

Hi Farin. I see from the Archives that with 3 more votes we would have had another 80s song in the last Top Ten. We sure like our 60s and 70s though !

:thumbsup:

There haven't been too many of our "regulars" around today, so hopefully we'll get more nominations soon. We've had some good ones so far (as usual).

Goodnight All. :headphones:

Here we go again Rockers

1. Garden Party. Ricky Nelson. "Mr. Hughes in Dylan Shoes". "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself"

2. An American Band. Grand Funk Railroad. I once heard a trivia question about Grand Funk. Whick group sold out Shea Stadium the fastest? The automatic answer should be The Beatles. However, the answer that was given was Grand Funk Railroad.

Well that's it for now. It is a beautiful day for yard work. I will catch you guys on the flip side.

rtstuff

"We're coming to your town to help you party down, we're an Amercian Band." Grand Funk

I want to renominate this one (because I like it!):

Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles

besides that, I was humming my favourite Beatles song yesterday, and decided to conform a bit:

All My Loving - The Beatles

Great choice Radhi!! All My Loving is also my favourite Beatles song. It was the first rock and roll song I can remember hearing. My much older cousin was a huge fan of the Beatles and C.C.R. and whenever we would visit his parents' house, I remember hearing All My Loving or Lookin' Out My Back Door playing on his portable record player. I have loved both these songs ever since. You definitely have my vote for All My Loving.

:coolio:

Oh good lord, away for a day and look what happens! So many good songs already nominated, songs I've thought of. This will be tough. Lots of ladies this time! Here's a couple more but not solo:

Mockingbird ~ Carly Simon and James Taylor

One Way or Another ~ Blondie

For sure Phil! Thanks very much bluesboy. I'll have to see if that 1999 Boxed Set is still available on import.He did a lot of songs from Guys And Dolls and Carmen Jones; I'd forgotten about his duets with Carmen McCrae.

Isn't it amazing how at least one song is always missing from any 'Greatest Hits'/ 'Anthology' Collections ? Over 90 songs in that Box Set but no Stan' Up And Fight !

One of my favorites is -

Come Back to Me

Good one Edna! "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"

Two things come to mind.

1. I can remember when Nancy would come on stage in knee high boots and mini skirt and perform this in '65-'66? I was in LOVE.

2. The scene in the movie "Full Metal Jacket" when they use the song as background music.

rtstuff

More good Nominations. :thumbsup:

I remember well These Boots Are Made For Wakin'. I was travelling with my job at that time (early 1966) and the radio station of the little Town I was in then used to play it, and Flowers On The Wall / Statler Brothers, and Barbara Ann / Beach Boys incessantly. Well they're the three I remember best anyway.

Here's the NOMINATIONS TO DATE (42). PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING !!!

59th Street Bridge Song, The (Feelin' Groovy) - Simon & Garfunkel

96 Tears - ? & The Mysterians

All My Loving - The Beatles

Barracuda - Heart

Blue Monday - New Order

California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas

Candy Man, The - Sammy Davis Jr.

Down Under - Men At Work

Funkytown - Lipps,Inc.

Garden Party - Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band

Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman

Here Comes My Baby - The Tremeloes

High Hopes - Pink Floyd

I Say A Little Prayer For You - Aretha Franklin

I'm The Only One - Melissa Etheridge

Kiss Off - The Violent Femmes

La Grange - ZZ Top

Love Reign O'er Me - The Who

Lust For Life - Iggy Pop

Mockingbird - Carly Simon And James Taylor

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits

More Love - Smokey Robinson

My Happiness - Powderfinger

Ohio - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

One Way Or Another - Blondie

Only The Strong Survive - Jerry Butler

Only You Know and I Know - Dave Mason

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

Raw Power - Iggy and the Stooges

Russian Roulette - The Lords of the New Church

Singer Not The Song, The - The Rolling Stones

S.O.S - ABBA *

Stop! In The Name Of Love - The Supremes

Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks

Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand

These Boots Are Made For Walkin' - Nancy Sinatra

Thrill Is Gone, The - B.B. King

Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles **

We're An American Band - Grand Funk

What I Like About You - The Romantics

Work Song - Paul Butterfield Blues Band

You're A Big Girl Now - Bob Dylan

* The only palindrome in Billboard's Pop Charts for both the Song Title and the Group Name. Both are the same spelt forwards or backwards.

** The first video clip to be shown on MTV.

GEE, THIS IS GOING TO BE TOUGH AGAIN. :P

:guitar:

I nominate two songs many may not have heard. The Stones one I heard in 1965 and loved it (it was the B side of Get Off of My Cloud) and the Dylan song I heard on the radio for the first time 5 years ago and it's become one of my favourite.

The Singer Not The Song - The Rolling Stones

You're a big girl now - Bob Dylan

Here's what Allmusic.com says about Singer not the Song: The early Rolling Stones (and in fact, the Rolling Stones throughout their career) were never all about raunchy, bluesy rock. They also penned a fair number of tuneful, poppy romantic songs, even if those were never dominant in their repertoire. "The Singer Not the Song," appearing on the December's Children album in late 1965, is one of the more overlooked ones. In retrospect, it's kind of a bridge between their early, wimpy Merseybeat-like original songs " which they tended to give to other artists to record, rather than do themselves " and their more mature pop/rock, non- blues-based tunes, such as "Lady Jane" and, a little later, "Ruby Tuesday." "The Singer Not the Song"'s still been criticized for being a little too sappy, and for the undoubtedly out-of-tune guitars and harmonies (as if those were rare events on early Rolling Stones records). But it's a fairly attractive British Invasion-like pop tune with a tinge of folk-rock in the heavy use of reverberant acoustic guitars (and a tinge of groups like the Beatles in the greater use of harmonies than usual). There are also some hints of tenderness and vulnerability in both the lyrics and the way they're sung, as if to signify that there was more to Mick Jagger and the boys than sardonic rebellion and misogyny. The phrase "it's the singer, not the song" is itself pretty lyrical and abstract for an early Rolling Stones song " almost philosophical " and helps put this in a more sophisticated league than earlier pop/rock ballads the group had written. The final chorus, too, has a weird leap into falsetto harmonies, on what's been speculated is an actual attempt to sound like the Four Seasons. Not too many people have heard it (or ever will).