Barry Bonds and #714

Jimmy1104

Q: If we aren't going to recognize Barry's record because of steroids, why do we include Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmiero in the top 10 all-time homeruns list?

A: Because McGwire and Palmiero are nicer to the press, who just so happen to form our opinions on the subject matter.

Batman, Palmiero, I don't know anything about...McGwire I do know a little. McGwire and Sosa were to be admired for their amazing battle for one reason. They ignited interest again during a so-so time...they put the fun back into baseball. Do you think the steroid thing wasn't talked about then? Same with Sosa and the bat. As far as McGwire being nicer to the press, he really wasn't. He was fairly close-mouthed, and in a city that prizes their players, he never really recognized that. He was never really prized as much as lesser players are here. He and Palmiero may be on that list, but only because it has never been proven that they should not be. If that's ever done...they should be gone.

I'm glad the Bonds drama is done for now. We can concenttrate on the real players of the game.

I think the players who are getting cheated are Ruth, Aaron and definitely Roger Maris. Because they did not cheat, and to lose records they earned playing baseball the right way is just a shame. I think we should have a steroid hall of fame and make Canseco the first to enter. We could make a statue of him with a syringe stuck in his A--!

Batman, Palmiero, I don't know anything about...McGwire I do know a little. McGwire and Sosa were to be admired for their amazing battle for one reason. They ignited interest again during a so-so time...they put the fun back into baseball. Do you think the steroid thing wasn't talked about then? Same with Sosa and the bat. As far as McGwire being nicer to the press, he really wasn't. He was fairly close-mouthed, and in a city that prizes their players, he never really recognized that. He was never really prized as much as lesser players are here. He and Palmiero may be on that list, but only because it has never been proven that they should not be. If that's ever done...they should be gone.

I'm glad the Bonds drama is done for now. We can concenttrate on the real players of the game.

Sure, nothing was proven about Palmiero and McGwire, but Bonds hasn't tested positive for steroids either.

Plus he a self absorbed idiot who doesn't care about his team. I'm suprised he didn't retire as soon as his foot hit home plate (he must be waiting until 756)

And how would you know this? Oh right, the press told you. Bonds has said many times he'd rather win the World Series with the Giants than break the homerun record. Also, if he's so self absorbed and he doesn't care about his team, why has he stayed loyal to the Giants for almost all of his career?

Phil....I don't know if I would agree with Ruth, Aaron and Maris being cheated. The three of them played in different eras.

You may recall in recent years, especially 1987 and 1989 there was the live ball. Seemed like everyone was hitting homers those years. in 1987 McGwire hit 49 and broke the rookie record. In 1988 or '89 Fielder became the first player to hit 50 homers in a season since Ken Griffey did it in the late 70's, I believe in 1977.

During Ruth's day it was known as the dead ball era. Among his peers of the day Ruth was the greatest ball player. I would say he was greater than players like Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, Walter Johnson or Grover Alexander. Whether he pitched or played outfield, he excelled.

The problem I have with Bonds is shown in his numbers. He was a 40 home run player. In his last 5 or 6 years while other players are already past their prime, Bonds began pouring on homers at a greater pace than any other time in his career. That took place during the steroid era of his career.

I don't get my information from the press, I get it from what I see. A man who leaves the dugout after his last at bat, talks only about himself in interviews, has his own photographer and personal trainer, as well as being the only player in the league to have his own TV show. Your right. He does care about his team.

I don't get my information from the press, I get it from what I see. A man who leaves the dugout after his last at bat, talks only about himself in interviews, has his own photographer and personal trainer, as well as being the only player in the league to have his own TV show. Your right. He does care about his team.

Hey, there. Calm down.

Bonds is currently the most popular player in the MLB. The papparazzi has probably been right up his a$$.

And if millions of people you never knew were talking $^!# about you, you wouldn't be going "Oh, yeah, people are great. I love being insulted by people from Iceland and other places in which I've never been in my life. IT'S FANTASTIC!"

So that's kind of a hippocratic statement.

Jimmy, I think those players were robbed of their legitimate records by guys who took growth hormones to enhance their performance. Nobody hits 73 home runs when their 38 years old, without some help from illegal substances. I am baffled by the publics acceptance of these cheaters. They took away Ben Johnson's Gold Medal in track, they should not recognize these guys records either.

Ben Johnson tested positive for steroids; that's why his medal was stripped. Palmeiro also tested positive, and has essentially been banished. Bonds has not been proven to take steroids, apart from some reports. I'm not defending him - I completely think he's taken/taking them. But if you fail to recognize records based on suspicion of questionable character there wouldn't be a whole lot of records in the books at all. Take away Ty Cobb's - he was a racist. Take away Ruth's - he was a drunk. Take away Denny McClain's Cy Young and MVP awards - he's a convicted criminal.

I don't understand why everybody automatically assumes that players before the 1980s were clean. Synthetic steroids were discovered in the 1930s and referenced in sports periodicals. The legality/tolerance of them in baseball in particular eras doesn't matter - they provide the same advantage either way. How does anyone honestly know that Mantle, Powell, Aaron, etc. didn't take steroids? Maris never hit 40 homers in a season apart from 1961. That season he looked like death and his hair fell out. Fatigue? Stress? Death threats? Why no mention of steroids being involved in this complete aberration in 1961? If Bonds got acne or aged considerably would anyone buy stress as an excuse?

"I don't get my information from the press, I get it from what I see."

Lol, but you only see what the press shows you, right? Or do you have Giants season tickets or something?

"A man who leaves the dugout after his last at bat,"

I have no idea where you're getting this from, but I've never seen him do that.

"talks only about himself in interviews,"

He's the most talked-about player in the MLB, and the interviewers ask Barry about himself. Who else is he going to talk about? Geraldo Rivera?

"has his own photographer"

Well, it's not as if he just called up a photographer and said "Hey, I'd like you to be my personal photographer." People photograph him a lot because he's in the news a lot.

"and personal trainer,"

Wow, just like most of the top players in the MLB.

"as well as being the only player in the league to have his own TV show."

Barry's got a show so he can debunk all the myths about him. I've actually only seen one episode though.

"Your right. He does care about his team."

Well of course I'm right, you just figured that out now?