William Hung - The Artichoke King

RonJonSurfer

William Hung Crowned 'Artichoke King'

CASTROVILLE, Calif. - Off-key "American Idol" washout William Hung has something new to crow about: He's being crowned "Artichoke King" in the small city that calls itself the "artichoke capital of the world."

Hung, 23, the earnest crooner who butchered Ricky Martin's "She Bangs" tune on the Fox talent competition, will ride in a parade Sunday and perform new versions of the Beach Boys' "Surfin' USA" and the Billy Ray Cyrus line-dancing anthem "Achy Breaky Heart."

Marilyn Monroe was the first "Artichoke Queen" when she was selected in 1947. She was named 12 years before the Castroville Artichoke Festival was conceived.

The festival features an artichoke eating contest, music and plenty of artichokes for sale.

Awarding the reality TV reject-turned-recording artist the title was an attention-gaining gimmick, said Cheryl Della-Mora, the festival's arts and crafts director.

"We've already gotten a lot of exposure from it," she said.

Heavy spring rains dampened artichoke production by as much as 20 percent, but local growers said there will be more than enough.

Growers in Monterey County sold more than $48 million worth of artichokes in 2004, the latest year for which data is available.

Yeah, there's something here that I'm just not getting ....

Where are those that love this young man and in whose advice he trusts?

As a small-station radio DJ in 1986, I had the occasion to interview an aging Tiny Tim ("Tiptoe Through The Tulips") as part of an advertising buy of a low budget travelling circus in which he was "featured." I felt uncomfortable even looking at a man older than me with shoulder-length plaited, purple/black dyed hair who called me "Mr. Ron" in alternating falsetto/natural tones. I could see utter sadness in the posture and the eyes of this man who was paid to be laughed at and derided, so that others could perhaps think, "Well, I'm not as bad as him." His "keeper" slant manager stood on the other side of the room watching us closely. I thought, making sure all the right things were said as Tim never brightened during the interview, even though I tried to pull joy or some excitement out of him. That weekend I was the guest ring announcer in the main tent just to start the one week run of the circus. I stayed long enough to see Tim sing his signature song accompanying himself on the ukelele, while a spotlight shone down on his greasy features in the middle of the ring. He looked quite tired and never smiled once .... and the people never stopped shouting, laughing and poking each other in the ribs.

Tiny Tim was William Hung in the late 1960's. Perhaps if William could somehow be transported back in time to that interview and that circus tent, he would be motivated, upon returning to 2006, to go to medical school.