On the radio.....

Driving in today, the last two songs I heard were 4 letter words, but I'll say them here....Ohio and Hush...wow....was I ever in good voice today.

Hearing songs like that reaffirms why and how I fell in love with rock and roll music. Those songs are straightforward, hard edged and great.

Ron, I thought this song was fitting for this topic, I am a DJ and I wish we played more of the music that I think of when you want to hear great classic rock.

The Last DJ ~ Tom Petty

Well, you can't turn him into a company man

You can't turn him into a whore

And the boys upstairs

Just don't understand anymore

The top brass don't like him

Talking so much

And he won't play

What they say to play

And he don't want to change

What don't need to change

There goes the last DJ

Who plays what he wants to play

Who says what he wants to say

Hey, hey, hey

There goes your freedom of choice

There goes the last human voice

There goes the last DJ

Some folks say they're gonna

hang him so high

'Cause you just can't do what he did

There's some things you just can't

Put into the mind of those kids

As we celebrate mediocrity

All the boys upstairs want to see

How much you'll pay for

What you used to get for free

There goes the last DJ

Hey, hey, hey

There goes the last DJ

Well, he got him a station

Down in Mexico

Sometimes it'll kinda come in

And I'll bust a move and

Remember how it was back then

There goes the last DJ

Hey, hey, hey

There goes the last DJ

Jane,

check out the career Carol Miller has made in NYC radio. She was a top DJ when i was a teener, now she is on the New yorl Classic rock station...but look at her hours....she is doing what she wants.

Carol Miller

Tuesday-Friday Midnight -5:30, Saturdays 7-Midnight

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has only honored a handful of broadcasters. When visitors to the Hall come across the radio exhibit, they hear the work of legendary Radio performers like Alan Freed, Scott Muni…and Carol Miller!

Now Carol will get the "Led Out" on Q104.3 every night starting at midnight.

National and International Music Programs

Carol has hosted concert specials, interview programs, album specials and other national music programs broadcast by hundreds of stations across the US.

Carol hosted long running weekly music programs broadcast in Japan and the United Kingdom.

Television

Carol was an on air talent at VH-1, Entertainment Tonight, (America’s highest rated and longest running entertainment news program) and at New York’s Metro Channel.

Carol is a native New Yorker, and holds a B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania and a Juris Doctorate from the Hofstra University School of Law.

Wow it looks like quite a few of us grew up with radio. I remember listening to the little 6 transistor radios late at night under the bed covers so momma wouldn't discover be up past my bed time. I not only was a rock fan ,but I loved listening to those early baseball broadcast.

I would pick up Bob Prince in Pittsburgh, Harry Carey in St.Louis, the guys that did the old Houston Colt 45's, the Mets, the Yanks, and of course the Reds with Waite Hoyt. I got my interest in being a play by play man during those early years. My favorite team was the Millwuakee Braves,but I couldn't pick up there broadcast. They had one the smallest networks in baseball back then. Oh occassionally I would pick up the Phills games back then Uncle Joe. Man I remember Uncle Joe that Johnny Callison was a Braves killer back then. He seemed to always come through in the clutch.

rtstuff

I have been listening to radio since a wee little child with my AM radio tuned to CKLW out of Windsor. Ron, I have heard of Carol Miller and her career is impressive to say the least. I could only hope to have a portion of her talent. Being in small town Ohio I doubt I will ever be as big in the radio market, but I hope I am making a name for myself right here at home. My hope is to someday work in a larger market and have more freedom on air.

Growing up just outside NYC, I had great radio stations to listen to when I was young. In My teenybopper (60's) years I had WABC-AM, which played top 40 and had great DJ's Like Cousin Brucie and Wolfman Jack was on a competing station. Then in the 70's I discovered WNEW-FM. Still to this day, the greatest station I have ever known. This is when the DJ's played what they wanted and these guys opened up my mind and ears to so many bands and different music genre. They would play entire albums and many "deep" cuts. The nightime DJ, was Allison Steele " The Nightbird" and she played some of the spaciest stuff around. That was a great time for radio. Now we live in a Clearchannel world and FM is slowly dying. Sweet Jane, I think you would make an excellent late night DJ.

Edited by Guest

Jane, I am fortunate enough to have grown up with the DJ who was the inspiration for "The Last DJ", Jim Ladd. He, to me, is what rock and roll radio is all about. Some of my fondest memories are of listening to him on KMET in the late 70's, early 80's. When I feel nostalgic, or when something major has happened in the world, I can always count on Jim to have a custom made show that is often thought provoking and always heartfelt since he is still on the air here in LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Ladd

If you're from the midwest you know KSHE 95 (94.7). The oldest FM rock station in the nation, without any change in format since it's inception in 1968. Many bands of that era really got their start by being played on KSHE, because it was album oriented, and the DJs just played whatever the heck they wanted, not the predetermined "official" release. The station and it's unique programming continue today, and janey, they only got one woman....c'mon over! :)

Wow it looks like quite a few of us grew up with radio. I remember listening to the little 6 transistor radios late at night under the bed covers so momma wouldn't discover be up past my bed time. I not only was a rock fan ,but I loved listening to those early baseball broadcast.

I would pick up Bob Prince in Pittsburgh, Harry Carey in St.Louis, the guys that did the old Houston Colt 45's, the Mets, the Yanks, and of course the Reds with Waite Hoyt. I got my interest in being a play by play man during those early years. My favorite team was the Millwuakee Braves,but I couldn't pick up there broadcast. They had one the smallest networks in baseball back then. Oh occassionally I would pick up the Phills games back then Uncle Joe. Man I remember Uncle Joe that Johnny Callison was a Braves killer back then. He seemed to always come through in the clutch.

rtstuff

You're a lucky guy if you got to listener to the Mets broadcasters (Kiner, Murphy, and Nelson). They are a legenedary team. Obviously, being 17, I never heard them in their hayday. Fortunately, Mets fans now have Gary Cohen and Keith Hernandez.

Hey NewYork Mets9 I remember the station was out of Skeneckdede sp? New York. The Mets were horrible back then,but they were fun to listen to. You never knew what to expect. Casey Stengle was the manager. It was like listening to a comedic routine. Everyone loved the Mets back then. I remember when they beat my Atlanta Braves in the '69 national league playoffs. Boy what a downer. As you know that was the year of Ron Swoboda and the "Miracle Mets". A great year for the Mets and all of baseball.

rtstuff

NY Mets 9, After the Mets game they had Kiner's Korner on. Ralph Kiner would interview the star of the game, like Ed Kranepool, Jerry Grote, Bud Harrelson etc. But, it was hilarious cause Kiner was a terrible interviewer, He'd call 'em the wrong name. Great live TV.

Edited by Guest

I started watching baseball (and The Mets) in the summer of 1969...good timing huh? I was 10.

Nelson, Murphy and Kiner were some team. Lindsey Nelson was a professional announcer. He did football and baseball for years. He wore trademark, far-out, plaid jackets for every Mets game.

Bob Murphy stayed on the longest as a full time announcer...retired only a few years ago then died pretty quickly after that. He came from a baseball family. Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego was named after his brother I believe. He was a distinct announcer and was imitated by many.

Ralph Kiner was the ex-player of the bunch, but what a player. Kiner was a crushing home run hitter and one of the most feared hitters of his time. His announcer skills always shaky....Ralph still does a game or two. He was on TV doing the Mets game last week and his mind and stories are still sharp.

Raplh was a star for Pittsburgh. My favorite story of his was about asking for a raise. It seems his team owner was notoriously cheap. Pittsburgh wasn't a good team. Ralph lead the league in homers and the next year he asked the owner for a $5000 raise. The owner told him, we came in last with you, we can come inlast without you. So, no raise and Ralph went out and played. If Ralph played today, they would be driving armored trucks up to his house.

Now we live in a Clearchannel world and FM is slowly dying. Sweet Jane, I think you would make an excellent late night DJ.

Phil, thanks...that is a dream of mine. And yes ClearChannel is killing radio, that is a fact. I am lucky that the station I work for is not owned by a big company like that, but there are still the top guys who control everything. We are a very local station, but not locally owned, and I do believe that makes a big difference in radio. If I only had tons of money I would love to own my own station and program it to what I think the listeners would be interested in. Would be cool!

I hate to bring up a sore spot for you Sweet Jane but exactly what is the background of this clearchannel group anyway. There are several in my listening area. In fact the oldies station I listen to is clearchannel. Do these guys have a hidden political agenda? My guess is that they do.

rtstuff

No problem. They own about 1,200 stations across the states. And in my area they own a cluster of stations which include...top 40, classic rock/new rock, oldies, lite rock, and country. And when you go to the websites and click on the DJ's they are the same ones on all of the stations but with different names...come on listeners will figure that out...please!! Their rate of pay is low, not that you make major money in this business but it is low. They are dominating a lot of concert venues making it difficult for non-ClearChannel stations to get trade concert tickets. They basically want to dominate the market and edge out small town or locally owned stations, and unfortunately they are doing a good job at it. The only plus is, they can only own so many stations in one market, so around here they are at their peek, thank God. They are making radio corporate, and that just sucks!! Guess they are the fathers of "radioism"!!

Nice interview on NYC radio this morning. Joe Elliot of Def Leppard talking about rock & roll and their new cover album (I think I did a news story on that in the past.) Anyway, he was a great interview. Down to earth, human insights on rock, his influences, growing up a fan...etc.

They played the new cover of Rock On and it was really good. Look for this album if you're a dinosaur like me.

I get to interview Southside Johnny next month, he is coming to Cleveland. I am excited!! I am such a huge fan of his and can't wait to talk with him. I just have to work on questions, you always want to make them interesting for the person you are interviewing and ones that might not have been asked before. I will have to do a lot of deep breathing, I may be a DJ, but I am still a listener and a fan!!

Ron, I have been into Southside since about 1979, he just had it, and he is great onstage...with the horn and his energy. He may have not hit the big time like Bruce but his music is good and it has that something special that makes you want to hear more!! I know I will be nervous!! I was when I interview Paul Rodgers and Bad Co, but he was cool and they guys were funny for the most part. I love my job!!!!

Jane,

I always thought that the "greatest" rock station of all-time was MusicRadio77...WABC-770 AM. It seemed to come in up and down the east coast and they played everything. They have a great website dedicated to their history, but lets look at their power surveys from this day for 1961, 66 and 1971...(I'll do it on three posts)

1. Mother-In-Law - Ernie K-Doe (Minit) *3 weeks #1* 1

2. Barbara-Ann - The Regents (Gee) 5

3. Daddy's Home - Shep & the Limelites (Hull) 2

4. A Hundred Pounds of Clay - Gene McDaniels (Liberty) 3

5. Mama Said - The Shirelles (Scepter) 4

6. Portrait of My Love - Steve Lawrence (United Artists) 8

7. Halfway to Paradise - Tony Orlando (Epic) 9

8. Runaway - Del Shannon (Big Top) 7

9. Rama Lama Ding Dong - The Edsels (Twin) 10

10. But I Do - Clarence "Frogman" Henry (Argo) 6

11. Running Scared - Roy Orbison (Monument) 14

12. Heart and Soul - The Cleftones (Gee) 20

13. Travelin' Man - Ricky Nelson (Imperial) 19

14. Stand By Me - Ben E. King (Atco) 26

15. Glory of Love - The Roommates (Valmor) 15

16. Tonight I Fell In Love - The Tokens (Warwick) 11

17. Some Kind of Wonderful - The Drifters (Atlantic) 12

18. Goodnight Baby - The Imaginations (Music Makers) 27

19. You Can Depend On Me - Brenda Lee (Decca) 16

20. (Good Goodbye) So So Long - The Bob Knight Four (Laurel) 13

21. The Bilbao Song - Andy Williams (Cadence) 23

22. Sucu Sucu - Ping-Pong (Kapp) 21

23. Those Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me of You) -

Little Caesar & the Romans (Del-Fi) --

24. Kissin' Game - Dion (Laurie) 25

25. Every Beat of My Heart - Gladys Knight & the Pips (Fury/VJ)30

26. I've Told Every Little Star - Linda Scott (Canadian-Am.) 22

27. Take Good Care of Her - Adam Wade (Coed) 18

28. Breakin' In a Brand New Broken Heart - Connie Francis (MGM)31

29. Peanut Butter - The Marathons (Arvee) 51

30. Lullaby of Love - Frank Gari (Crusade) 28

31. Count Every Star - Donnie & the Dreamers (Whale) 39

32. Bring Back Your Heart - The Del Vikings (ABC-Paramount) 37

33. Moody River - Pat Boone (Dot) 47

34. He Needs Me - Gloria Lynne (Everest) 48

35. Tossin' and Turnin' - Bobby Lewis (Beltone) 42

36. I Feel So Bad - Elvis Presley (RCA Victor) 52

37. Those Oldies But Goodies (Remind Me of You) -

Nino & the Ebb Tides (Madison) --

38. Blue Moon - The Marcels (Colpix) 17

39. Funny - Maxine Brown (Nomar) 33

40. This World We Love In (Il Cielo In una Stanza) -

Mina (Time) 40

41. Nobody Cares (About Me) -

Jeanette (Baby) Washington (Neptune) 44

42. (Dance the) Mess Around - Chubby Checker (Parkway) 32

43. Quarter to Three - U.S. Bonds (Legrand) --

44. The Charanga - Merv Griffin (Carlton) 36

45. Triangle - Janie Grant (Caprice) --

46. Trust In Me - Etta James (Argo) 24

47. Buzz Buzz A-Diddle-It - Freddy Cannon (Swan) 41

48. Bonanza - Al Caiola (United Artists) 62

49. You Always Hurt the One You Love -

Clarence "Frogman" Henry (Argo) --

50. Raindrops - Dee Clark (Vee Jay) --

51. Louisiana Mama - Gene Pitney (Musicor) --

52. Humpty Dumpty - Bob Bristol (Rider) --

53. Tragedy - The Fleetwoods (Dolton) 46

54. On the Rebound - Floyd Cramer (RCA Victor) --

55. African Waltz - Johnny Dankworth (Roulette) 29

56. In My Heart - The Timetones (Times Square) 35

57. Love Makes the World Go Round - Jane Morgan (Kapp) 53

58. Little Devil - Neil Sedaka (RCA Victor) --

59. What a Surprise -

Johnny Maestro the Voice of the Crests (Coed) --

60. To Be Loved (Forever) - The Pentagons (Donna) 69

61. That Old Black Magic - Bobby Rydell (Cameo) 45

62. Just For Old Time's Sake - The McGuire Sisters (Coral) 57

63. Who Else But You - Frankie Avalon (Chancellor) --

64. Tell Me Why - The Belmonts (Sabrina) --

65. The Touchables In Brooklyn - Dickie Goodman (Mark-X) 50

66. I Left There Crying - Valerie Carr (Roulette) --

67. Respectable - The Chants (MGM) 55

68. I'm a Fool to Care - Joe Barry (Smash) 54

69. Girl of My Best Friend - Ral Donner (Gone) --

70. A Love of My Own - Carla Thomas (Atlantic) --

"THE SOARIN' SEVEN SINGLES"

1. Life Is But a Dream - The Earls (Rome)

2. Son-In-Law - The Blossoms (Challenge)

3. Follow That Girl - Vinne Monte (Jubilee)

4. Fool That I Am - Etta James (Argo)

5. Life's a Holiday - Jerry Wallace (Challenge)

6. (It Never Happens) In Real Life - Chuck Jackson (Wand)

7. Temptation - The Everly Brothers (Warner Brothers)

Look For My True Love - Bobby Darin (Atco)

"77 SOUND SLEEPER"

Mary Had a Little Man - The Five Shades (Ember)

"BIG 7 LPs"

1. Ring a Ding Ding - Frank Sinatra (Reprise)

2. All the Way - Frank Sinatra (Capitol)

3. Carnival - Original Cast (MGM)

4. The Bobby Darin Story - Bobby Darin (Atco)

5. Camelot - Original Cast (Columbia)

6. The Second Time Around - Jane Morgan (Kapp)

7. Great Motion Picture Themes - Various Artists (UA)

"SURE-SHOT 7 LPs"

1. TV Sing Along With Mitch - Mitch Miller (Columbia)

2. Orange Blossom Special and Wheels -

Billy Vaughn & his Orchestra (Dot)

3. Rick is 21 - Ricky Nelson (Imperial)

4. That Wonderful Feeling - Bill Black's Combo (Hi)

5. Miss Peggy Lee - Peggy Lee (Capitol)

6. A Hundred Pounds of Clay - Gene McDaniels (Liberty)

7. Roamin' With the Brothers Four - The Brothers Four (Columbia)

Another Smash!!! - The Ventures (Dolton)

THE 7-70 SWINGIN' SOUND SURVEY is compiled each

week by WABC, New York, and is based on an accurate

unbiased account of record sales gathered from leading

retail outlets in the New York Metropolitan Area.