The Feeling

Earth-Angel

feeling9kg.jpg

www.myspace.com/thefeeling

Influences: Supertramp, Queen, ELO, 10cc, Beatles, Beach boys, Carpenters , Jelly Fish, ABBA

Sounds Like: ELO, Queen, Supertramp, Super Furry Animals

WHO ARE THIS 'THE FEELING' OF WHICH WE SPEAK?

The Feeling are the new gods of cool M.O.R. Five twentysomethings from Sussex and London, they have come to make easy-listening hip. It's time to get out your Guilty Pleasures and rejoice! The Feeling are rehabilitating soft-rock. "We're soft rock archeologists," says their drummer, Paul Stewart. "It's more about not being self-conscious," adds bassist and backing vocalist Richard Jones.

"Don't fear the cheese," offers singer-guitarist Dan Gillespie. "Embrace it."

Dan, who admits to having had an indie phase once, continues: "There are no guilty pleasures anymore. You're allowed to like Andrew Gold, ELO, Supertramp or 10cc. It's really liberating." Richard agrees: "You can like anything! 10cc were amazing..." Paul: "Their stuff was so varied - everything from reggae (Dreadlock Holiday) to soft-rock ballads (I'm Not In Love)." The Feeling are pop and proud. They're reclaiming the term. "Yes 10cc were a pop group," says Richard. "So were The Beatles. So were Queen. We're not a jazz band, or a heavy metal band." "We're pop," decides Paul, "but more in the '70s sense." Like The Raspberries or, more recently, Jellyfish, The Feeling are premier exponents of nouveau soft-rock. Richard: "Is that a section in HMV?"

I really enjoy these guys, the new single "Fill my little world" is really catchy and fun. Sewn is more mellow, but still really good too.

Never be lonely is also nice. They had a fantastic response at this year's Radio One Big Weekend in Dundee, where they played to an audience of about 15000 strong.

Take a listen and make your own mind up :)