The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

Thanks again phil, Fintan and Ray!! :rockon:

And without further ado...

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #46

THREE great songs including all the glam on the list are not currently part of Songfacts:

Jeepster - T.Rex (1971)

Fox On The Run - Sweet (1974)

School - Supertramp (1974)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Fox on the Run" was originaly realeased 1974 in the album "Desolution Boulevard", but it didn't became a hit until 1975 when it was re-arranged and re-recorded in a more pop oriented style.

It was a #1 in Germany and Australia, #2 in the Netherlands and the UK and #56 in the US (1976 release)

It was covered, among others, by Eric Singer (KISS), Girlschool, The Red Hot Chili Peppers (The Lolas, Sha-Boom and Touch Of Joy - but I don't know if they are well known)

A German cover version "Fuchs geh' voran" was recorded in 1975 by the Scorpions (under the name "The Hunters")

From Wikipedia,

Jeepster was a 1971 single for the British glam rock band T. Rex.

The song peaked at #2 in the UK charts, and was controversial in that Fly Records, the record label the band was signed to, released the song without singer Marc Bolan's prior permission, as Bolan had just left Fly for EMI, where he received control of his own label, T. Rex Wax Co. Records. The song was covered by Protex for their 1980 album, Strange Obsessions. The music and rhythm is quite close to that of the Howlin' Wolf song, "You'll Be Mine", written by Willie Dixon. In interviews, Marc Bolan said himself that he'd "lifted it from a Howlin' Wolf song".

Edited by Guest

"Fox on the Run" was originaly realeased 1974 in the album "Desolution Boulevard", but it didn't became a hit until 1975 when it was re-arranged and re-recorded in a more pop oriented style.

hmmmm... I had that album (on vinyl, even). I bought it was it was first released. I loved Sweet when I was in 8th/9th grade - and still do. But the version on the album is the same one I used to hear on the radio - before I bought the album. So the info on the re-recording with a more pop-style mystifies me.

From Wikipedia,

Jeepster was a 1971 single for the British glam rock band T. Rex.

The song peaked at #2 in the UK charts, and was controversial in that Fly Records, the record label the band was signed to, released the song without singer Marc Bolan's prior permission, as Bolan had just left Fly for EMI, where he received control of his own label, T. Rex Wax Co. Records. The song was covered by Protex for their 1980 album, Strange Obsessions. The music and rhythm is quite close to that of the Howlin' Wolf song, "You'll Be Mine", written by Willie Dixon. In interviews, Marc Bolan said himself that he'd "lifted it from a Howlin' Wolf song".

A bit more from allmusic:

...Tony Visconti's production adding the right clarity and punch throughout, "Jeepster" is as pure T. Rex as it gets, from the sex and sass to the descending chords in the chorus, strings along for the ride. Mickey Finn's percussion, emerging just enough from its usual not-really-there status, adds to the chugging feeling the Steve Currie/ Bill Legend rhythm section effectively creates, while Bolan pulls out every car/girl comparison in the book and gets away with it. Not to mention the perfectly sensuous and snarling vampiric kiss-off at the end, "And I'm gonna suck ya!"

It was written by Marc Bolan and released in 1971 on their most succsesful album, "Electric Warrior".

I only know one version of it too, I read that fact on Wikipedia... :crazy: :P

but I noticed that there are two versions of "Desolution Boulevard": an Australian/European and an American version, maybe they included their "pop version" of Fox on the Run in the American version? :confused:

Could well be the case Farin. Albums with the same title often have different tracks in different Countries.

I've only ever heard one version of Fox On The Run - except for the Manfred Mann completely different 1968 song with the same title.

Goodnight All. :)

Thanks to Farin, Phil, Shawna, Fintan, Edna and Darryl; stellar contributions this week :bow: :bow:

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #47

ONE song from this week's top ten isn't here on Songfacts:

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy (1976)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

I have some info from wikipedia:

Jailbreak was a song appearing on Thin Lizzy's album, Jailbreak. As was The Boys Are Back in Town, this song is a classic rock radio staple, and receives heavy airplay.

One of the most famous Thin Lizzy songs, it sums the band´s music, with the heavy rhythm guitar crunch, dual lead guitar harmony, Brian Robertson´s peculiar use of the wah-wah pedal and Phil Lynott´s lyrics about a prison break and the typical personification of the "tough guys", also seen in The Boys Are Back in Town and the concert closer, fan favorite, The Rocker.

The song has been used in the movie Detroit Rock City, in the scene in which one of the characters escapes from the boarding school his mother had taken him to, and heads for the Kiss concert at Detroit.

...but I´m sure some of you will know more about it and post it... :cool:

Thanks again dearest Helene! :bow: :bow:

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #48

THREE songs that need help this week:

Think - Aretha Franklin (1968)

Over Under Sideways Down - The Yardbirds (1966)

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - Joan Baez (1971)

The Songfish thanks you.

I stole it all from wikipedia:

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is a song written by Robbie Robertson and first recorded by The Band in 1969. It is interesting to note that this song about the American Civil War was written by Robertson who is a half-Mohawk Indian, half-Jewish Canadian.

The lyrics tell of Virgil Cain watching as the Union Army General George Stoneman destroys the railroad where he makes a living, and then witnessing the fall of Richmond, Virginia. Virgil relates and mourns the loss of his brother, "He was just eighteen, proud and brave / But a Yankee laid him in his grave."

The song's central lament—"You take what you need and you leave the rest / But they should never have taken the very best"—is an apparent commentary on the utter destruction of the Southern homes, cities and infrastructure that was the result of a war that lasted over four years and in which there were approximately 600,000 fatalities.

Robertson claimed that he had the music to the song in his head but had no idea what it was to be about. "At some point [the concept] blurted out to me. Then I went and I did some research and I wrote the lyrics to the song." Robertson continued, "When I first went down south, I remember that a quite common expression would be, 'Well don't worry, the South's gonna rise again.' At one point when I heard it I thought it was kind of a funny statement and then I heard it another time and I was really touched by it. I thought, 'God, because I keep hearing this, there's pain here, there is a sadness here.' In Americana land, it's a kind of a beautiful sadness."

Adding further resonance is the vocal delivery of the song by Arkansas-bred Levon Helm, who also provides the loping, ragged beat that suits the song's defeated yet proud theme.

Robertson noted Helm's contribution to the song by describing that in the original version of his song he had a verse about Abraham Lincoln. Helm, having been brought up in the South, advised Robertson that this would not be appropriate.

Robertson noted, "He was like, 'You've got to watch that because in the South that wouldn't necessarily go down well.' Then he explained to me the politics of that period in a Cracker fashion that I [understood]. 'Oh, I see what you mean.' That was his contribution to the song."

Though never a major hit, "Dixie" was the centerpiece and soul of The Band's self-titled second album, and, along with "The Weight" from Music From Big Pink, remains the song most identified with the group.

The song "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is part of the The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll list.

The song spawned a handful of cover versions, notably Joan Baez's top-10 version from 1971... of particular interest is the lyrics change made by Ms. Baez. She changed the words "there goes Robert E. Lee" to "there goes the Robert E. Lee," apparently changing the reference from the general to a steamboat.

I didn´t copy the list of covers though. I´m sure somebody will add them... :cool: I know there are some historical facts as well.

^ same song, same site:

In 1972, a cover of the song named "Am Tag, als Conny Kramer starb" (which translates as "On the Day Conny Kramer Died"), was a number one hit in West Germany for singer Juliane Werding. For this version, the lyrics have not been translated, but rather changed completely to an anti-drug anthem about a young man dying because of his drug addiction -- an extremely hot topic in that year, when heroin was making the first big inroads in Germany.

"Think"

Aretha Franklin

allmusic.com says:

Written by Aretha Franklin and Teddy White.

Aretha Franklin's "Think" had the same kind of raucous energy and liberated women's subtext as her previous gold single, "Respect," though the women's lib movement was still years away. The driving number was recorded in April 1968 at Atlantic Records' New York recording studio. Producer Jerry Wexler used members of the Muscle Shoals rhythm section ( Roger Hawkins, Spooner Oldham, Jimmy Johnson, Tommy Cogbill) as he'd done on Franklin's previous million-selling singles. Co-written by Franklin and her husband/manager Ted White and issued during the first weeks of May 1968, the million-selling "Think" stayed at number one R&B for three weeks, going to number seven pop in the summer of 1968. On the flipside was a swinging cover of the Sam Cooke classic "You Send Me," which broke the R&B Top 30 and mid-charted pop. Those tracks as well as the gold singles "See Saw" and "I Say a Little Prayer," her cover of the Dionne Warwick hit, and also "I Can't See Myself Leaving You" were included on her gold number one R&B (for 17 weeks) album Aretha Now. "Think" resurfaced when Franklin performed the song in the Dan Ackroyd/ John Belushi movie The Blues Brothers.

Over Under Sideways Down was on the Yardbirds 1966 release, Roger The Engineer. In 2003, the album was ranked number 349 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. Due to the influence of Jeff Beck's experimentation with guitar distortion, the album is considered a precursor to heavy metal.

Thankyou edna, Farin and phil, muchly appreciated!

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #49

THREE songs from the top ten need facts:

Lido Shuffle - Boz Scaggs (1976)

Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners (1959)

Two Princes - Spin Doctors (1992)

The Songfish thanks you.

Two Princes by the Spin Doctors

The band's debut album, Pocket Full of Kryptonite, sold poorly until MTV and radio began playing "Two Princes" and "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong". The album went gold in September 1992, and then received another boost in sales after the band's appearance on Saturday Night Live in October 1992. By June 1993 the album was triple platinum. Ultimately it sold over five million copies in the US and another five million overseas, and peaked at # 3 on the Billboard top 200 album chart.