The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

"Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)"

Kenny Rogers and The First Edition

Still from the memorable dream sequence in film The Big Lebowski during which the song is played. Saddam Hussein is working in a bowling alley."Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" is a song written by Mickey Newbury. Said to reflect the LSD experience, Newbury wrote it as a warning against the danger of using LSD. First recorded in 1967 by Jerry Lee Lewis, who rejected it, it was a hit for The First Edition (with Kenny Rogers on lead vocals) in 1968. It was Rogers's first top ten hit in the Billboard charts, but not typical of the country folk harmonies that characterized most of The First Edition's catalog. [1] However, the group were no strangers to rock music, bouncing among country, pop, rock, and folk.

The innovative song features Rogers on lead vocals and was the group's second single. The psychedelic hard rock arrangement made quite an impression in the music field. According to Rogers, "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" was Jimi Hendrix's favorite song. This is possibly due to the way in which the guitars on the track were recorded, which was quite different from what was standard at the time. Producer Mike Post reversed a few riffs to create the unusual intro, and the proto-metal solo played by Glen Campbell was heavily reverberated. Another studio ace guitarist, Mike Deasy, provided the acoustic lead guitar parts throughout the song.

When Rogers signed to United Artists Records in the mid-1970s after the group split, he re-recorded the track for his Ten Years Of Gold album.

One tech note: The Chorus of this song, the "Yeah, Yeah, Oh Yeah..." part, is either being sung through a Leslie speaker or through a common guitar effect from the late 1960's called the Univibe.

Due to its lengthy title, the song has picked up a number of nicknames from both the public and even record companies who press up the song. They are naturally shortened versions of the official title, such as "Just Dropped In", "I Just Dropped In", or simply, "Condition".

Kenny Rogers and The First Edition version :

In 1998, the song appeared—almost in its entirety—during a psychedelic dream sequence in the cult film The Big Lebowski. A clip of the song serves as the background to the main menu of the film's collector's edition DVD.

The song also appeared in the 2000 videogame Driver 2.

Selected list of recorded versions

1967 Jerry Lee Lewis, Soul My Way

1968 Mickey Newbury, Harlequin Melodies

1968 The First Edition, The First Edition

1977 Kenny Rogers, Ten Years Of Gold

1988 Die Haut with Nick Cave, Headless Body in Topless Bar

1991 Mojo Nixon

1994 Mickey Newbury, Nights When I am Sane

1995 Supergrass, "Alright"/"Time" single

1995 Wayne Perkins, Mendo Motel

2001 Willie Nelson, Rainbow Connection

2002 Willie Nelson, Great Divide

2003 Reef, Together: The Best Of Reef

2005 Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

From wikipedia.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)"

Greg Kihn Band

Written by Greg Kihn/Gary Phillips/Steve Wright

Also from Wikipedia:

Single released in 1981. It was also track two of ten on their 1981 album, Rockihnroll. The song reached number fifteen on the Billboard chart.

Dedicated Follower of Fashion" is a 1966 single by British band The Kinks. It was written by Ray Davies. It lampoons the contemporary British fashion scene. Originally released as a single, it has been included on many of the band's later albums.

Musically, it and "Well Respected Man" marked the beginning of an expansion in the Kinks' inspirations, drawing as much from British music hall traditions as from American rhythm and blues, the inspiration for breakthrough Kinks songs like "You Really Got Me.

The British record-buying public enjoyed the jab at "the whole Carnabetian army" enough to put the song into the top five. It reached the top of the charts in The Netherlands and New Zealand. In the U.S., however, it failed to crack the Top Forty, peaking at #50.

It was performed with Davies mostly accompanying himself on acoustic guitar, with the rest of the band joining in on the "It will make or break him so he's got to buy the best 'cause..." and echoing the "Oh yes he is" lines in the refrain.

From Wikipedia

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #68

TWO songs are without facts on this here Songfacts:

Little Miss Can't Be Wrong - The Spin Doctors (1991)

What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round? - The Monkees (1967)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

"What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?"

The Monkees

This song was included in their album "Pisces, Aquarius and Capricorn", released in November 1967.

It was written by Michael Martin Murphey and Owens Castleman, though it´s credited to Lewis/Clarke as a pseudonym.

From wikipedia:

Chosen by Mike for the country feel it gave off; Murphy was an old friend of Nesmith's

From allmusic:

Another highlight of the Monkees' finest album statement ( Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.), "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?" was also a unique glimpse of Michael Nesmith's foray into what was to be soon dubbed country-rock. A breezy ballad, the song is built on a country two-step and taken at a locomotive tempo. A fine story-song, it's a little cameo of love found and lost. Utilizing a geographic location (Mexico), it's almost like a short film. The recorded version features some members of the Byrds and is an excellent vehicle for Michael Nesmith's exquisite vocals. Songwriter Michael Murphy would later find fame with the country-pop hit "Wildfire."

"Little Miss Can´t Be Wrong"

The Spin Doctors

From their 1992 album "Pocket full of Kryptonite". Released as a single in 2001. Words and music credited to The Spin Doctors.

allmusic says:

There were many pseudo-hippie, jam-oriented blues rockers in New York during the early '90s, but only the Spin Doctors made it big. And they made it big because they not only could immerse themselves in a groove, but they also had concise pop skills. "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" and "Two Princes" were cleverly written singles, full of clean, blues-inflected licks and ingratiating pop melodies. Pocket Full of Kryptonite had been around for nearly a year when MTV and radio began playing "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong," but once they started playing it, they couldn't stop. The Spin Doctors became an overnight sensation, selling millions of albums around the world

"What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?"

The Monkees

This song was included in their album "Pisces, Aquarius and Capricorn", released in November 1967.

It was written by Michael Martin Murphey and Owens Castleman, though it´s credited to Lewis/Clarke as a pseudonym.

In 1967 I almost bought an album by a group called The Lewis & Clark Expedition. The cover had some guys in a canoe if I remember right. Are they the same as the ones you're talking about?

PS. I bought The Free Spirits Out of Sight and Sound instead!

In 1967 I almost bought an album by a group called The Lewis & Clark Expedition. The cover had some guys in a canoe if I remember right. Are they the same as the ones you're talking about?

PS. I bought The Free Spirits Out of Sight and Sound instead!

It looks like yes... :) http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:09foxqu5ldfe

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #70

Only two songs needing facts this week!

Domino - Van Morrison (1970)

Ain't That Peculiar - Marvin Gaye (1965)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

Domino (Van Morrison song)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Domino" is a hit song that was written by Northern Irish singer-songwriter, Van Morrison and included on his 1970 album, His Band and the Street Choir. It was a musical tribute to Fats Domino but in Morrison's own unique style of blending black gospel with his own background of Irish Celtic balladry.

It reached #9 on the US charts, his highest charting single ever.

"Domino" was rated at #197 on Dave Marsh's 1989 book, The Heart of Rock and Soul, The 1001 Greatest Singles Ever

Appearance on other albums

"Domino" is also included as a live performance on Morrison's acclaimed 1974 album, It's Too Late To Stop Now.

It is also one of the songs included in the 1990 compilation album The Best of Van Morrison.

"Domino" was one of the songs in the movie Clean and Sober and a live version is included on Van Morrison's 2007 compilation album, Van Morrison at the Movies - Soundtrack Hits.

"Ain´t That Peculiar"

Marvin Gaye

Single from the album Moods of Marvin Gaye

B-side(s) "She's Got to Be Real"

Released September 1965

Written by Smokey Robinson/Marvin Tarplin/Ronald White

It charted #1 Hot R&B Singles

Wikipedia:

"Ain't That Peculiar" was a 1965 single by American soul musician Marvin Gaye for the Tamla (Motown) label. The single was produced by Smokey Robinson, and written by Robinson, fellow Miracles member Ronald White and their guitarist Marv Tarplin. "Ain't That Peculiar" features Gaye, with The Andantes on backing vocals, singing about the torment of a painful relationship.

The single was Gaye's second U.S. million seller successfully duplicating its predecessor "I'll Be Doggone", from earlier in 1965 by topping Billboard's Hot R&B Singles chart in the fall of 1965, peaking at number-eight on the US Pop Singles chart becoming one of Gaye's signature 1960s recordings, and was his best-known solo hit before 1968's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine".

Lead vocals by Marvin Gaye

Background vocals by The Andantes: Marlene Barrow, Jackie Hicks and Louvain Demps

Instrumentation by The Funk Brothers and Marvin Tauplin (guitars)

"Travelling Band"

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Released in September 9th 1970, as a two sides A single (the other song was"Who´ll stop the Rain")

Written by John Fogerty.

Both songs reached#2 in the US pop charts.

From Answers.com:

Cosmo's Factory's first single was the working band's anthem "Travelin' Band," a funny, piledriving rocker with a blaring horn section -- the first indication their sonic palette was broadening

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #71

FOUR songs this week:

She'd Rather Be With Me - The Turtles (1967)

Lonesome Loser - Little River Band (1979)

Beginnings - Chicago (197 1)

Cry to Me - Solomon Burke (1962)

The Songfish thanks you.

"Cry To Me"

Solomon Burke

Written by Bert Russell Berns.

It was released as a single in 1962.

It reached #44 in the pop charts and #5 in the R&B charts.

It was included in his 1964 album, "Rock and Soul".

from allmusic:

"Cry to Me" was a hit first for Solomon Burke, the towering (literally and figuratively) Philadelphia soul singer who recorded a swinging version of it for Atlantic Records in 1962. England's the Pretty Things did a slightly more sultry version of it three years later. But it is the version cut — also in 1965 — by the Rolling Stones that cuts to the core of the lyric. Bert Berns was a legendary figure, one of those music industry folks of the '60s that wore many hats: writer (in the Brill Building); producer; instrumentalist; record company owner — he did it all. Perhaps he will best be remembered as the man who had Van Morrison's first American contract and released Morrison's first solo hit, "Brown Eyed Girl." Berns mostly wrote upbeat pop hits like "Twist and Shout" and "A Little Bit of Soap." "Cry to Me" is like those in terms of chord progression and melody and the Burke version is vaguely Caribbean in rhythmic feel, like "A Little Bit of Soap." But the lyric of the song is solemn in its deep study of loss and loneliness: "When you're all alone in your lonely room/And there's nothing but the smell of her perfume/Don't you feel like crying?" The upbeat tempo does not work with the words to create tension. Rather, it just seems at odds and distracts from the sharp, palatable images. The Rolling Stones understood this. The version of "Cry to Me" on their 1965 Out of our Heads is slow and soulful and makes a case for Mick Jagger to be counted — even early on in his career — as a soul singer on a par with some of the best America had to offer.

"She´d rather be with me"

The Turtles

It was released a single in 1967 and it reached #3 in the charts. It was also included on their album "Happy Together" from the same year.

A big, brassy pop song (in contrast to its immediate predecessor, the mellower "Happy Together"), "She'd Rather Be With Me" is probably the least ironically cheerful single the Turtles ever did. Written by Gary Bonner and Alan Gordon, the same songwriting team responsible for "Happy Together," "She'd Rather Be With Me" is far removed from the melancholia and delusion at the root of the earlier hit. Howard Kaylan sings with unfeigned giddiness, and the huge production, featuring both an entire orchestra and an unusually (for 1967) prominent rhythm section including a clanking great cowbell that steamrollers every other instrument in its path, is as buoyant and bright as his vocals. It's not really the equal of the likes of "Happy Together" or "Elenore," but "She'd Rather Be With Me" is rather nifty nonetheless.
(from allmusic)

"Beginnings"

Chicago Transit Authority

allmusic says:

Chicago's "Beginnings" had somewhat of a false start when it was originally issued in 1969. It was the follow-up to the band's debut single, "Questions 67 and 68,"... "Beginnings" helped lay the foundation for the band's brassy, jazz-influenced sound. Written by band keyboardist Robert Lamm, they performed the song on the road to hone it out before they included it on an album. Produced by James William Guercio, "Beginnings" reached number seven pop and number one adult contemporary in the summer of 1971... included on their debut album Chicago Transit Authority, which sold over two million copies and peaked at number 17 in pop charts.

I have no info on

"Lonesome Loser"

Little River Band

except that it´s composed by David Briggs and it was released in 1979 on their abum "First Under the Wire". It made the Top Ten and it was played a lot on the radio. I´m sure some Australian (or not) SFrs know more than this... :cool:

I have just a little more info on Lonesome Loser from the bands oficial website:

"It was release on the album "First Under The Wire" The album went platinum, with this song being the top seller from the album. Lonesome Loser sold 2 million copies and hit the #3 spot on the Billboard charts".

That's it! :)