• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #62

THREE songs without facts this week:

Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads (1985)

Jammin' - Bob Marley & The Wailers (1977)

Like A Hurricane - Neil Young (1977)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

"Road to Nowhere"

The Talking Heads

Written by The Talking Heads: David Byrne, Chris Franz, Tina Weymouth and Jerry Harrison.

It was part of their album"Little Creatures", recorded from the end of 1984 till October 1984 March 1985. The song was also released as a single with "Give me back my name" as B-side.

from wikipedia:

"Road to Nowhere" is a cheerful song about death by the Talking Heads, from the 1985 album Little Creatures. It also appeared on Best of Talking Heads, Sand in the Vaseline: Popular Favorites, the Once in a Lifetime box set and the Brick box set. The song was released as a single in 1985 and reached number 25 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks.

The video released to promote the single features the band and various objects revolving, as if in their own "road to nowhere.", and it was nominated for "Best Video of the Year" at the MTV Video Music Awards 1986.

"Road to Nowhere" is heard during the ending of the 1989 film Little Monsters. It was also featured on an advert for the final of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here! 2006.

I believe it´s also heard at the end of David Byrne´s movie "True Stories", with the rolling credits. Does anybody remember?

"Like a Hurricane"

Neil Young

Released as a single by Neil Young and Crazy Horse in August 1977. B-side: "Hold back the tears".

It was recorded in November 1975.

Also included in the album "American Stars´n Bars"

wikipedia again:

The song was written in July 1975, when Neil Young was unable to sing due to an operation on his vocal cords after a cocaine-fueled night with friend and La Honda neighbor Taylor Phelps in the back of his car, a DeSoto Suburban.

Driven by Young's trademark fierce guitars, the song has been played on nearly every tour Neil Young has done since. It has also appeared on the compilations Decade and Greatest Hits and on the live albums Live Rust, Weld and Unplugged (this last rendition is played almost entirely on a pump organ).

In March 2005, Q magazine placed it at number 32 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks.

Cover versions

Roxy Music covered the song, and released it on its live albums The High Road and Heart Still Beating. The song was also covered by The Mission on their albums First Chapter and Ever After - Live. Jay Farrar, backed by country-rock band Canyon, covered this song on his live album Stone, Steel, & Bright Lights. Spanish rock group Babylon Chat covered the song translating the lyrics into Spanish "Como Un Huracan".

The band:

Neil Young - Lead Guitar and lead vocals

Frank "Poncho" Sampedro - Stringman synthesizer and background vocals

Billy Talbot - Bass guitar and background vocals

Ralph Molina - Drums and background vocals

I had great seats to see Neil do Like a Hurricane at Madison Square Garden in September of 1978. (side note, I smashed up my new Firebird on the way to the show. I told the cop to hurry up with the police reports because I didn't want to miss any of the show)...anyway, the visual of Like a Hurricane was fantastic. A gigantic fan was turned on and blew directly on Neil. His long hair way blowing out straight to the side. Food wrappers and other misc. junk was swept up onto the stage and swirled around as Neil played a perfect, extra long and fierce solo.....beautiful.

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #63

THREE songs needing facts this week:

Connected - Stereo MCs (1992)

Jealous Again - Black Crowes (1990)

Just A Little - The Beau Brummels (1965)

IIf you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

The Beau Brummels was a successful 1960s American rock band, formed in San Francisco in 1963. The band took its name from a 19th Century English dandy, Beau Brummell, as a way of identifying with the British music scene.

The Beau Brummels had three Top 40 hit singles: "Laugh Laugh", "Just A Little" and "You Tell Me Why". "Just a Little" was the biggest hit of the three, spending 9 weeks in the Top 40 and reaching #8 on Billboard charts in 1965.

Just A Little was written by bandmember Ron Elliot and Ruth Durand. It was on the 1965 album Introducing The Beau Brummels, which was produced by Sly Stone, of Sly and The Family Stone fame.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lateness people, I've been swamped. Damn uni and work interferring with my songfacts time!

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #64

TWO songs needing facts:

Too Late To Turn Back Now - Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose (1972)

Ball And Chain - Big Brother & the Holding Company f. Janis Joplin (1968)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

"Ball and Chain"

Janis Joplin

wow, impossible -for me- to find any info about "Ball and Chain". It was written by Big Mama Thornton in the fifties and in 1968 Janis Joplin´s cover made it famous.

The song is included on her second album , "Cheap Thrills", with Big Brother and the Holding Company.

:help:

• 2 weeks later...

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #65

TWO songs needing facts!

Burning Love - Elvis Presley (1972)

Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull (1971)

The Songfish thanks you.

"Locomotive Breath"

Jethro Tull

(Written by Ian Anderson)

from the album Aqualung

Released March 19, 1971

Recorded December 1970 - February 1971 at Island Studios, London

Produced by Ian Anderson and Terry Ellis

From wikipedia:

Locomotive Breath is a song by the English progressive rock band Jethro Tull from their album Aqualung (1971). The song receives frequent airplay on classic rock radio stations. The song's highlight is its flute solo by rock flute master Ian Anderson. This song is about a man who chooses to commit suicide after his lover cheats on him with his best friend.

From wikipedia

"Burning Love"

Single by Elvis Presley

from the album Burning Love

Released August 1, 1972

Format vinyl record (7" 45 RPM)

Recorded RCA Studios, Hollywood, California,

March 27, 1972

Peak chart positions

* #2 (US)

* #7 (UK)

* #4 (CAN)

"Burning Love" is a song written by Dennis Linde and made famous by Elvis Presley. Elvis recorded it at RCA's Hollywood studios on March 27, 1972.

The song was first recorded by Arthur Alexander, who included it on his self-titled 1971 album.

Presley's version would be released as a single on August 1, 1972, with B-side "It's a Matter of Time".

For the weeks of October 21 and 28, 1972, "Burning Love" rose to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song was Elvis's 40th and last Top Ten hit on the US charts. It was also one of the last real rock songs in the last years of his life; from 1972-1977 the majority of his songs were ballads, and many of those placed on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart. "Burning Love" was one of the few exceptions, along with Promised Land in 1974. Indeed Elvis never wanted to record the song and only did so to appease his session musicians who repeatedly begged him to do so.

Thanks again dear edna! :bow:

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #66

THREE songs we are seeking your knowledge of:

I'm a Man - Chicago (1969)

Girl Like You, A - Edwyn Collins (1994)

Sally Simpson - The Who (1969)

The Songfish thanks you.

I´m glad to see your post, Katie... :) :) I heard about the flood or the hurricane in South Wales...

"I´m a man"

Chicago

from wikipedia:

"I'm A Man" is a song written by Spencer Davis Group singer-songwriter Steve Winwood and record producer Jimmy Miller.

Chicago recorded a cover version of "I'm A Man" for their 1969 debut album, The Chicago Transit Authority. When the band's popularity surged after their second album, "I'm A Man" was released as the B-side to a re-release of "Questions 67 and 68". Radio stations ended up playing both sides, and "I'm A Man" reached #49 on the U.S. charts in 1971.

Chicago's cover is a borderline heavy metal arrangement clocking in at 7 minutes and 40 seconds, and is based around the powerful guitar playing of Terry Kath and virtuoso drumming of Danny Seraphine. Kath, Peter Cetera and Robert Lamm each sing a verse apiece (singing not the lyrics as written, but as Chicago apparently misunderstood them), preluding an extended drum solo before a return to the second and third verses and choruses that bring the song to a climactic drum roll, and finally leading into a Terry Kath guitar solo to bring the song to a dramatic close. This version remains a fan favourite. Santana has also sampled a small part of this song in the track "Waiting" which appears on their self titled 1969 debut album.

A Girl Like You ~ Edwyn Collins

Paul Cook, the Sex Pistols drummer, played the vibraphone in this song

The song is featured in the soundtracks of "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and "Empire Records"

I found some more on wiki... :cool:

"A Girl Like You" is a 1994 single by Scottish singer-songwriter Edwyn Collins from his album Gorgeous George. The song chronicles a tale of the singer's experiences of meeting a girl so amazing that he proclaims that he has "never met a girl like [you] before". The video was in turn an avant-garde tribute to its lyrics (ex. when Collins sings the lyrics "you bring out the devil in me", a child's painting of the devil is overlayed over his face).

The video was in turn an avant-garde tribute to its lyrics (ex. when Collins sings the lyrics "you bring out the devil in me", a child's painting of the devil is overlayed over his face).

I just saw the video again, and I didn't didn't notice any devil's paintings over his face :crazy:

and I don't think it's a tribute to his lyrics either...

maybe there are two video versions? I only know this one... :P :)

"Sally Simpson"

The Who

wikipedia says:

Single by The Who

from the album Tommy

A-side(s) Go to the Mirror!

Released May 23, 1969

Recorded September 19, 1968 to March 7, 1969

Producer(s) Kit Lambert

"Sally Simpson" is a song written by Pete Townshend of The Who. It appears as the twentieth track on the group's first rock opera, Tommy (1969). The song is written through the perspective of a young girl named Sally Simpson. Sally comes from a wealthy family, yet desires more, so she sneaks out of the house against her father's will to see one of Tommy's sermons, where she plans to jump on stage and touch him.

At the sermon (themed "Come unto me, love will find a way"), Sally attempts to jump onto the stage to touch Tommy, but her plans are foiled by a security guard, who throws her onto the floor, causing her to sustain a cut on the cheek that requires stitches.

After being carried away in an ambulance, Sally returns home, gets married to a rock star in California, but always remembers Tommy.

In the book 'Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend' by Stephen Davis, it is mentioned that Pete Townshend loosely based the song on a concert he saw. The Doors were playing and

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #67

THREE songs without facts this week:

Dedicated Follower of Fashion - The Kinks (1965)

Break Up Song, The (They Don't Write 'Em) - The Greg Kihn Band (1981)

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - Kenny Rogers and the First Edition (1968)

The Songfish thanks you.