The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #256

This week there are four songs needing facts.

Do Right Woman, Do Right Man - Aretha Franklin (1967)

This Masquerade - Leon Russell (1972)

Elderberry Wine - Elton John (1973)

Fly Tomorrow - John Mayall (1968)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you!!!!

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

"This Masquerade"

Leon Russell

Written by Leon Russell in 1972.

Released as the B-side of his single "Tight Rope", which charted in the US at #11. It's also a track of his album "Carney", released on June 1972.

It was included in "The Bug" soundtrack (a film by William Friedkin) in 2006.

The song was performed by many artists, The Carpenters, Helen Readdy or Shirley Bassey, among others. George Benson had a huge hit with it in 1976.

HELP

"Do Right Woman, Do Right Man"

Aretha Franklin

Written by Chips Moman and Dan Penn.

A track of Aretha Franklin's 1967's album, released in March, "I never loved a man the way I love you", her ninth LP. It was recorded at the begnning of the year and it's her first album with Atlantic records. Produced by Jerry Weexler.

The song was released as a single , being the B-side of "I never loved a man (the way I love you)", peaking at #37 at the r&b charts.

according Bill Janovitz, from allmusic, ...the theme of "Do Right Woman Do Right Man" is the power of temptation vis-à-vis the rewards of fidelity. Its message and soothing melody seem to bring out the soul in singers... Though she could probably sing the phone book and make it groove, Franklin is the kind of vocalist who seems like she would not sing a song if she does not feel it 100 percent. She starts "Do Right Woman Do Right Man" with a gospel feel, as if she was actually in church preaching (her father was in fact a famous preacher), then builds it through the song's bridge, by which time it feels like an anthem for the times...

The Flying Burrito Brothers recordeded their version in 1969 with a country touch.

"Fly Tomorrow"

John Mayall

Written by John Mayall.

A track of his 1968 studio album "Blues from Laurel Canyon", recorded on August 26th, 27th and 28th and released in November the same year.

His first album without the Bluesbreakers and also the first one with Decca Records.

The song is a short song which moves into an extended lead guitar solo underscored by Mayall's Hammond organ, fading into a simple unaccompanied guitar figure which repeats until it too fades(1)

Mick Taylor plays guitar.

(1) wikipedia

:help:

"Elderberry Wine"

Elton John

Written by Elton John & Bernie Taupin.

A track of his sixth studio album, "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player", recorded in June 1972 at the Château d'Hérouville, Hérouville, France and released in January 1973.

The single was released as the B-side for "Crocodile Rock" in October 1970 in the UK and a month later in the US.

Gus Dungeon made the arrangements for horns in this song.

One of Elton John's most popular album tracks and a big fan favorite, "Elderberry Wine" is a straight-ahead piano-pounding rocker with gruff vocals and funky sax breaks. It's kind of like "Crocodile Rock" (a hit single from the same album) without the self-conscious retro trappings. Lyrically, it's a bit of an eye-roller, a tale of a shiftless layabout who misses the wife who's left him, but mostly because without her being there to make it, he can't get loaded on homemade elderberry wine. One has to view the lyrics as tongue in cheek silliness, because otherwise they contain the single worst couplet of Bernie Taupin's entire career: "You aimed to please me/Cooked black-eyed peas me." Ouch.

"This Masquerade"

Leon Russell

Written by Leon Russell in 1972.

Released as the B-side of his single "Tight Rope", which charted in the US at #11. It's also a track of his album "Carney", released on June 1972.

It was included in "The Bug" soundtrack (a film by William Friedkin) in 2006.

The song was performed by many artists, The Carpenters, Helen Readdy or Shirley Bassey, among others. George Benson had a huge hit with it in 1976.

HELP

George Benson won the "Record of the Year" Grammy in 1976 for his cover of Leon's song, "This Masquerade", and it became the first song in music history to hit #1 on the jazz, pop and R&B charts.

-leonrussellrecords.com

George Benson won the "Record of the Year" Grammy in 1976 for his cover of Leon's song, "This Masquerade", and it became the first song in music history to hit #1 on the jazz, pop and R&B charts.

-leonrussellrecords.com

Rocky,

The first part about George Benson's cover of the song winning record of the year in 1976 is correct.

The other part about the song hitting #1 is incorrect.

The song, "This Masquerade", has never hit #1 for any artist.

George Benson took the song to #10 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1976 and to #3 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Soul Singles chart (now known as the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart), in 1976.

The song also has never charted on the UK Singles chart for any artist.

You're confusing the song, "This Masquerade" with George Benson's 1976 album, Breezin'.

The song is included on the album, but it was George Benson's album that reached #1 on the three U.S. Billboard charts in 1976, not the song.

I noticed there are many sites on the web that state the same comment as you did, but this is incorrect information that must have gotten copied from one web site to another.

The correct fact is:

George Benson became the first artist to top the U.S. Billboard Pop, R&B, and Jazz album charts simultaneously when his album, Breezin' hit #1 in 1976.

This book has the correct info on page 307:

books.google.com

...and also here:

www.jazz.com

The single, "This Masquerade" (the lone vocal track from the Breezin' album) is the song that sparked the album to zoom to #1.

The song, "Breezin'" is a good song, too! :thumbsup:

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #257

This week there are three songs needing facts.

Who Loves You - The Four Seasons (1975)

My Little Town - Simon & Garfunkel (1975)

Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)- Styx (1977)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you :guitar: :drummer: :rock:

"Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)"

"Fooling Yourself" is the second single released from Styx's The Grand Illusion album. On the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart in the U.S., the single peaked at number 29.

The song was written by guitarist Tommy Shaw. Shaw has said many times in interviews that "Fooling Yourself" was originally based on Shaw's initial perception of Styx keyboardist Dennis DeYoung — an "angry young man" who viewed the group's successes with a wary eye and grew angry or depressed with every setback. It was only in later years, Shaw noted, that he began to see himself in the lyrics, and the song took on a more personal meaning to him.

In addition to Shaw's driving guitar tracks during the verse and chorus, DeYoung performs two intricate synthesizer solos, the first, in the middle of the song, is performed in 7/4 time, an unusual meter for a pop song. The second solo, as the song fades out, is performed in 6/8 time.

-The wiki

"My Little Town"

"My Little Town" is a 1975 song by the American duo Simon & Garfunkel. It was written by Paul Simon, who produced the track along with Art Garfunkel and Phil Ramone. Although the song would not appear on any of the duo's albums until later, it was included on both the solo releases for Simon (Still Crazy After All These Years) and Garfunkel (Breakaway) in 1975.

After the success of their Bridge over Troubled Water album in 1970, both Simon and Garfunkel decided to part ways and record their own solo material.

In June 1972, they were asked to sing at a political benefit concert for United States presidential candidate George McGovern at Madison Square Garden, New York City.

On October 18, 1975, Simon hosted the second episode of the premiere season of the NBC comedy sketch program Saturday Night Live. During the musical numbers, Garfunkel performed with him, and together they sang three songs: "The Boxer"; "Scarborough Fair"; and their new collaboration, "My Little Town".

Simon has stated that the song is not autobiographical; instead he says that it is about "someone who hates the town he grew up in. Somebody happy to get out." He has been quoted describing the writing of the song: "It originally was a song I was writing for Artie. I was gonna write a song for his new album, and I told him it would be a nasty song, because he was singing too many sweet songs. It seemed like a good concept for him." After playing the song for Garfunkel, the two decided to collaborate again in the studio on this one track.

While Simon insists it is not autobiographical, Garfunkel has explained, in recent interviews, that it was about his own childhood, how he "grew up in an area where a career in music was not seen as either desirable nor exciting". This seems true since Garfunkel's parents did insist he gain some qualification aside from his pure tenor voice (He gained a bachelors degree in Arts History in 1965, and a Master's degree in Mathematics in 1967). Garfunkel, upon Simon & Garfunkel's break-up, worked as a teacher in Connecticut, a draftsman in New York and a math tutor In Los Angeles.

The first verse mentions Garfunkel's religious views, "God keeps His eye on us all" and how, as a Jew, he was expected to "Pledge allegiance to the (western) wall". The second verse describes him "coming home after school", where his mother, Rose (a housewife), would be "doing the laundry". It goes on to describe the lack of creative output and inspiration, in the form of a monochromatic rainbow. The final verse describes how Art had no identity of his own other than being "(his) Father's son", and how he was "twitching like a finger on the trigger of a gun" (presumably, from anxiety to escape the dead-end life the lyrics describe) before the final chorus plays.

The song starts off very quietly, beginning with a piano solo (by Garfunkel), and almost non-existent drumwork. They begin to sing together (there are no solo parts) which further showcases their vocals, with Paul Simon providing a subdued bass-guitar line. The choruses of "nothin' but the dead and dyin' back in my little town" are played with an increased intensity, especially the final repeat-and-fadeout section following the last verse, with some horns and backing vocals added to the mix.

-The wiki

"Who Loves You"

"Who Loves You" is the title song of a 1975 album by The Four Seasons. It was composed by Bob Gaudio and Judy Parker and produced by Gaudio. Reaching #3 on the Billboard Top 100 in November 1975, it re-established The Four Seasons as a viable recording group (even though their popularity as a performing group had never flagged) after a five year absence from the Hot 100, and five years after their last single on Philips Records ("Patch of Blue").

After their release from Philips, the group signed with Motown and released one album and three singles for the organization in 1972 and 1973. All Motown recordings failed to chart on the U.S. charts, and Motown refused to release a collection of eight songs; instead, the company dropped The Four Seasons from its roster. After some negotiation, lead singer (and partner of the Four Seasons Partnership) Frankie Valli bought the master recording of "My Eyes Adored You" from Motown for $4000 (US). After Larry Uttal, owner of Private Stock Records, heard the recording, he signed Valli onto the label and released "My Eyes Adored You" as a Frankie Valli "solo" single. "My Eyes Adored You" rocketed to the top position of the Hot 100.

In the wake of the success of "My Eyes Adored You," Motown re-released "The Night" as a Four Seasons single in the United Kingdom (the song reached #7 on the UK singles chart) and the group was signed to Curb Records (distributed by Warner Bros. Records) in the summer of 1975.[6] In August, "Who Loves You" entered the Hot 100 as Valli's "Swearin' to God" was sliding off the chart.

Valli wasn't the intended lead singer on "Who Loves You", but rather Don Ciccone. Capitalizing on Valli's recent success, it was decided that Valli would sing the lead.

- take a wild guess ;)

"Who Loves You"

"Who Loves You" is the title song of a 1975 album by The Four Seasons. It was composed by Bob Gaudio and Judy Parker and produced by Gaudio. Reaching #3 on the Billboard Top 100 in November 1975, it re-established The Four Seasons as a viable recording group (even though their popularity as a performing group had never flagged) after a five year absence from the Hot 100, and five years after their last single on Philips Records ("Patch of Blue").

After their release from Philips, the group signed with Motown and released one album and three singles for the organization in 1972 and 1973. All Motown recordings failed to chart on the U.S. charts, and Motown refused to release a collection of eight songs; instead, the company dropped The Four Seasons from its roster. After some negotiation, lead singer (and partner of the Four Seasons Partnership) Frankie Valli bought the master recording of "My Eyes Adored You" from Motown for $4000 (US). After Larry Uttal, owner of Private Stock Records, heard the recording, he signed Valli onto the label and released "My Eyes Adored You" as a Frankie Valli "solo" single. "My Eyes Adored You" rocketed to the top position of the Hot 100.

In the wake of the success of "My Eyes Adored You," Motown re-released "The Night" as a Four Seasons single in the United Kingdom (the song reached #7 on the UK singles chart) and the group was signed to Curb Records (distributed by Warner Bros. Records) in the summer of 1975.[6] In August, "Who Loves You" entered the Hot 100 as Valli's "Swearin' to God" was sliding off the chart.

Valli wasn't the intended lead singer on "Who Loves You", but rather Don Ciccone. Capitalizing on Valli's recent success, it was decided that Valli would sing the lead.

- take a wild guess ;)

The song was released in different versions. One of them, the single, had twice "Who Loves You": the 4 min utes version in the A side and the "disco version" (as it states in the single)is in the side B, featuring the same song with slight arrangements: the song is shorter and the instrumental break is repeated.

Franki Valli, who was known for his "falsetto", didn't sing lead vocals in this song as he he had otosclerosis, an illness that affected his hearing. He only sings lead on the verses of the song.

"Who Loves You" was a big hit for the band. The single was released in August 1975 and made the Hot 100, spending 20 weeks there and reaching #3 in November.

"My Little Town"

"My Little Town" is a 1975 song by the American duo Simon & Garfunkel. It was written by Paul Simon, who produced the track along with Art Garfunkel and Phil Ramone. Although the song would not appear on any of the duo's albums until later, it was included on both the solo releases for Simon (Still Crazy After All These Years) and Garfunkel (Breakaway) in 1975.

After the success of their Bridge over Troubled Water album in 1970, both Simon and Garfunkel decided to part ways and record their own solo material.

In June 1972, they were asked to sing at a political benefit concert for United States presidential candidate George McGovern at Madison Square Garden, New York City.

On October 18, 1975, Simon hosted the second episode of the premiere season of the NBC comedy sketch program Saturday Night Live. During the musical numbers, Garfunkel performed with him, and together they sang three songs: "The Boxer"; "Scarborough Fair"; and their new collaboration, "My Little Town".

Simon has stated that the song is not autobiographical; instead he says that it is about "someone who hates the town he grew up in. Somebody happy to get out." He has been quoted describing the writing of the song: "It originally was a song I was writing for Artie. I was gonna write a song for his new album, and I told him it would be a nasty song, because he was singing too many sweet songs. It seemed like a good concept for him." After playing the song for Garfunkel, the two decided to collaborate again in the studio on this one track.

While Simon insists it is not autobiographical, Garfunkel has explained, in recent interviews, that it was about his own childhood, how he "grew up in an area where a career in music was not seen as either desirable nor exciting". This seems true since Garfunkel's parents did insist he gain some qualification aside from his pure tenor voice (He gained a bachelors degree in Arts History in 1965, and a Master's degree in Mathematics in 1967). Garfunkel, upon Simon & Garfunkel's break-up, worked as a teacher in Connecticut, a draftsman in New York and a math tutor In Los Angeles.

The first verse mentions Garfunkel's religious views, "God keeps His eye on us all" and how, as a Jew, he was expected to "Pledge allegiance to the (western) wall". The second verse describes him "coming home after school", where his mother, Rose (a housewife), would be "doing the laundry". It goes on to describe the lack of creative output and inspiration, in the form of a monochromatic rainbow. The final verse describes how Art had no identity of his own other than being "(his) Father's son", and how he was "twitching like a finger on the trigger of a gun" (presumably, from anxiety to escape the dead-end life the lyrics describe) before the final chorus plays.

The song starts off very quietly, beginning with a piano solo (by Garfunkel), and almost non-existent drumwork. They begin to sing together (there are no solo parts) which further showcases their vocals, with Paul Simon providing a subdued bass-guitar line. The choruses of "nothin' but the dead and dyin' back in my little town" are played with an increased intensity, especially the final repeat-and-fadeout section following the last verse, with some horns and backing vocals added to the mix.

-The wiki

The single was released in September 1975. It has two songs as B-side: "Rag Doll", by Arthur garfunkel and "You're Kind", by Paul Simon.

It made #1 in the Easy listening" chart (Billboard Adult Contemporary) in the last two weeks of November.

"Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)"

"Fooling Yourself" is the second single released from Styx's The Grand Illusion album. On the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart in the U.S., the single peaked at number 29.

The song was written by guitarist Tommy Shaw. Shaw has said many times in interviews that "Fooling Yourself" was originally based on Shaw's initial perception of Styx keyboardist Dennis DeYoung — an "angry young man" who viewed the group's successes with a wary eye and grew angry or depressed with every setback. It was only in later years, Shaw noted, that he began to see himself in the lyrics, and the song took on a more personal meaning to him.

In addition to Shaw's driving guitar tracks during the verse and chorus, DeYoung performs two intricate synthesizer solos, the first, in the middle of the song, is performed in 7/4 time, an unusual meter for a pop song. The second solo, as the song fades out, is performed in 6/8 time.

-The wiki

The single was recorded -as the whole album- in 1977 but released in 1978 with "The Grand Finale" as the B-side.

It was the second album featuring Tommy Shaw, whose high harmonies were part of the success of the song.It was a huge radio hit as well.

Thanks for the facts Edna and Rocky :D :bow: :bow: :bow:

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #258

This week there are three songs needing facts.

Rock This Town - Stray Cats (1981)

Move It On Over - Hank Williams (1947)

If You Want Me To Stay - Sly and The Family Stone (1973)

As always the Songfish thanks you :guitar: :drummer: :rock:

"Rock This Town"

Stray Cats

Credited to Brian Setzer and Dave Edmunds.

The song was recorded in 1981 as a track of their debut album, "Stray Cats", released also in 1981.

The american LP didn't have this track; it was included in their second Lp, released in June 1982, "Built For Speed", which was actually their debut album in the US.

The single was released in the UK on the 29th of January, in 1981. More than one year later, in September 14 1982, it was also released in the USA. The B-side was a cover of "You Can't Hurry Love".

The song was produced by Dave Edmunds.

The song charted at #9 in February 1981 in the UK charts and it also made #9 on Billboard Hot 100 in the US, in 1982. It was their first hit in the US. It had also previously reached this position on the UK Singles Chart in 1981.

Covers of the song are featured in many video games, such as "Guitar Hero II", Nintendo's "Elite Beat Agents", "Donkey Konga", "Cars" and "Dance, Dance, Revolution"

"Move It On Over"

Hank Williams

Written by Hank Williams in 1947.

It was recorded and released in the same year and it became the first big hit for Hank Williams: it reached #4 in the U.S. Billboard Country charts in the same year.

The song is written as a 12-bar blues, sounding a lot like "Rock Around the Clock", that was written six years later and became the first rock and roll hit. That's why "Move It On Over" is considered as a main influence to rock and roll.

The song tells the story of a man who came home much too late at night and his wife wouldn't let him in. He spent the night in the doghouse.

It's a classic that has been covered by many performers.

If there is one Hank Williams song which could be said to pre-date Rock and Roll most tellingly, it must be 1947’s “Move It On Overâ€, which is almost identical in structure and melody to â€Rock Around the Clockâ€. One of Williams’ earliest compositions, “Move It On Over†feels a little lightweight, a song of style over substance, yet there’s no denying that it contains a lovely, very listener-friendly melody and a charming steel guitar line. One can’t help comparing it to â€Rock Around the Clock†and it’s clear that Bill Haley took his template from the master of country music. Certainly not one of Hank Williams’ masterpieces, and although it sounds very dated, “Move It On Over†does have it’s merits, even though it’s a demonstration of Williams finding his voice rather than commanding it.