• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"After Midnight"

J.J.Cale

Written by J. J. Cale.

He recorded a demo in 1966 but Eric Clapton recorded it on his LP "Tulsa" in 1970(his debut album as a solo musician).

He also released it on his debut album "Naturally" in 1971.

Wiki says:

"After Midnight" was also in many ways the catalyst for Cale's own solo recording career. Cale was unaware of Clapton's recording of the song until it became a radio hit in 1970. He recalled to Mojo magazine that when he heard Clapton’s version playing on his radio, “I was dirt poor, not making enough to eat and I wasn’t a young man. I was in my thirties, so I was very happy. It was nice to make some money.â€

Cale's friend and producer Audie Ashworth then encouraged him to capitalize on the song's success by recording a full album, Naturally, released in 1971.

allmusic said:

J.J. Cale's debut album, Naturally, was recorded after Eric Clapton made "After Midnight" a huge success. Instead of following Slowhand's cue and constructing a slick blues-rock album, Cale recruited a number of his Oklahoma friends and made a laid-back country-rock record that firmly established his distinctive, relaxed style. Cale included a new version of "After Midnight" on the album, but the true meat of the record lay in songs like "Crazy Mama," which became a hit single, and "Call Me the Breeze," which Lynyrd Skynyrd later covered. On these songs and many others on Naturally, Cale effortlessly captured a lazy, rolling boogie that contradicted all the commercial styles of boogie, blues, and country-rock at the time. Where his contemporaries concentrated on solos, Cale worked the song and its rhythm, and the result was a pleasant, engaging album that was in no danger of raising anybody's temperature.

Cry Me A River - Julie London

Here's the songfacts for "Cry Me A River" ... by Susan Boyle... :P

The song was originally written for Ella Fitzgerald for the movie Pete Kelly's Blues in 1955 but eventually they decided not to include it.

Joe Cocker released his version in his album Mad Dogs and Engliushmen in 1970.

"Summertime Blues"

The Who

Written by Eddie Cochran and Jerry Capehart in 1958

about the trials and tribulations of teenage life in America. The song is ranked #73 in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Part of its lyrics address the controversy surrounding the voting age, which at the time was 21. Such protests would lead to the 26th Amendment, lowering the age to 18

.*

The Who released their version on their 1970 album Live at Leeds, and also as a single -it reached #37 in the US and #28 in the US charts.

in a more agressive style and played in the key of A major and on the 3rd verse modulates up to B major.

This version features John Entwistle singing the vocal parts of the boss, the father, and the congressman in his trademark baritone growl, in addition to playing the bass guitar and doubling Roger Daltrey's lead vocal on the verses in his normal register. The track features the original four-man Who lineup of Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle, Keith Moon, and Pete Townshend.

Other live versions from The Who are featured in the concert and documentary film Woodstock and the Monterey Pop Festival box set.

* from wikipedia

Summertime Blues:

They also properly recorded the song in a studio in 1967, since they'd already been playing it when they were the Detours, without Keith Moon. In 1974 The Who released a compilation of rarities and studio outtakes called Odds & Sods, and Summertime Blues was supposed to be released on the second LP, but in the end they only released one. Eventually this studio version resurfaced on the 1998 remaster of Odds & Sods.

Thank you enda, Pinkstones, and Seek :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'm almost caught up and everything :D

Thanks for letting me know "Radio Free Europe' was already on the main site Farin. I don't know why I missed it, I almost always double check stuff.

MC if you can't get the facts for Tom Petty in before the current round ends, don't stress over it. I will just send them to Carl when you get the time to post them. It kinda takes the fun out of doing that kind of thing if you can't relax and enjoy when you do it :)

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #202

This week there is 4 songs needing facts.

23 - Blonde Redhead (2007)

What You Need - INXS (1985)

Ol' '55 - The Eagles (1974)

There She Goes - The La's (1988)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you. :guitar:

What You Need

INXS

Written by Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence and released as a single in 1986. Also a track from their album "Listen Like Thieves" from 1985.

The song was the first hit for INXS(it made #5 in the charts).

Wikipedia:

After the album Listen Like Thieves was recorded and ready to be given to the record label for inspection, producer Chris Thomas was worried that the album didn't have a "hit". As Andrew Farriss recalled in a 2005 interview; "What You Need is another example of a huge hit that essentially took no time at all. We'd already finished the Listen Like Thieves album but Chris Thomas (the producer) told us there was still no "hit". We left the studio that night knowing we had one day left and we had to deliver "a hit". Talk about pressure. The band's performance on that track is amazing. We absolutely nailed it."

"Ol' '55"

The Eagles

Written by Tom Waits and released in 1973 in his album "Closing Time".

The Eagles recorded it for their 1974 album "On The Border" . They also released it as theB-side of third single of the album in November 1974 ("Best of My Love" was the A-side)

:help: :help:

"There She Goes" is a song written by Scouse singer/guitarist Lee Mavers and recorded first by Mavers' band, The La's. Structurally, the song is very simple and contains no verses, only a single chorus repeated four times and a bridge. It was inspired by 1967's Velvet Underground's song "There She Goes again".[citation needed]

The first version of the song was released by The La's in 1988, and again on January 2, 1989, but failed to chart. The track was remixed by Steve Lilywhite in 1990 for inclusion on their debut album The La's. This remixed version was issued as a single on October 22, 1990, and hit number 13 in the UK charts (and later hit number 49 in the U.S.). It was the biggest success The La's were ever to enjoy and remains the song for which the band is chiefly remembered.[citation needed]

"There She Goes" has gained a reputation for being about the use of heroin; the lyrics seem to refer to a woman, but on closer inspection of some lines ("There she goes again... racing through my brain... pulsing through my vein... no one else can heal my pain"), the possible drug connotations become apparent. Several newspapers ran articles about The La's and their apparent ode to heroin. When asked about the rumor in 1995, the group's bassist John Power replied, "I don't know. Truth is, I don't wanna know. Drugs and madness go hand in hand. People who you've known all your life... they're steady, then they're not. But you can't ponder, cos' it kills you, la.'"[1] However, in the 2003 book In Search of The La's : A Secret Liverpool by MW Macefield, ex-La's guitarist Paul Hemmings denied the rumour.

Again , I thank my lovely fact collectors :bow: :bow: :bow:

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #203

This week there is only one poor little song needing facts.

Bluest Blues - Alvin Lee & Ten Years After (1995)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you. :drummer:

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I FREAKING LOVE THAT SONG!!! :D

Very little facts about this song... :P

"The Bluest Blues"

Alvin Lee & Ten Years After

Written by Dizzy Gillespie.

A duet with George Harrison from the "1994" album, also called "I hear you knocking". Also a track of the compilation "Pure Blues". A critic called it "the most perfect blues song ever recorded."

:help: :help:

Ok, also one of my most favorite songs...it's called "I Hear You Rockin" not "Ten Years After" Just Alvin Lee...but some of the songs have I guess "Ten Years After"...but Alvin Lee really tears it up good blues...and a good cover (song) of "She's So Heavy"...with George Harrison...a little different but worthwhile... :thumbsup:

Actually "The Bluest Blues" is composed by Alvin Lee...Some slide guitar by George Harrison...and it's just good blues...perfect? Yeah...The other songs are

Keep on Rockin

Long Legs... :guitar:

I Hear you Knockin

Ain't Nobody's Business

The Bluest Blues

Boogie All Day

My Baby's Come Back to me

Take it Easy (Not the Eagles one)

Play it Like it Used to be

Give me Your Love

I Don't Give a Damn

I Want You (She's so Heavy)... :guitar: not "The Beatles" version...just a whole lot of good guitar :coolio:

So, are we going with Alvin on this one? It's to early and I'm not sure who we've decided on here :D

One more cup of coffee and I'll be good ;)

EEk I see we still have no facts for Blonde Redhead :o

Edited by Guest
Blonde Redhead

I have no more facts for "Bluest Blues"... :P so I guess there must be two songs called "The Bluest Blues" and one of them is the one we talk about, by Alvin Lee. The other can be Gillespie's...

Has anybody more info about it?

"23"Blonde Redhead

Written by Kazu Makino, Simone Pace and Amedeo Pace.

First track of their 2007 album "23" and also released as a single.

Very little info about this one as well... please, :help: :cool:

allmusic:

The epic title track's delicate electronic rhythms, swooping, shimmering guitars, and majestically bittersweet melody pitch it somewhere between My Bloody Valentine and Asobi Seksu, showing how a more restrained Blonde Redhead can still sound lush and haunting.