The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

JD Souther's biggest hit as a solo artist was his 1979 Roy Orbison-influenced song "You're Only Lonely" from the album of the same name, which reached the top 10 of the Billboard charts. A collaboration with James Taylor called "Her Town Too" from Taylor's Dad Loves His Work album, reached number 11 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart.

Souther is probably best known in his songwriting capacity, having co-written some of the biggest hits for The Eagles, including "Best of My Love", "Victim of Love", "Heartache Tonight", and "New Kid in Town.

Wikipedia

Edited by Guest

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"You´re only lonely"

J.D. Souther

Written by J.D.Souther, the first track on his third album "You´re only lonely", released in 1979.

Background vocals by Jackson Browne.

allmusic says:

Detroit's John David Souther's Texas upbringing no doubt helped him to establish his smooth country-rock sound. He scored his first Top 40 hit as part of the Souther, Hillman, Furay Band in 1974 with "Fallin in Love," coming in at number 27 on the Billboard charts. After releasing his first two solo albums in the span of six years without much success, Souther finally cashed in with the title track to 1979's You're Only Lonely, his third solo release. "You're Only Lonely"'s formula is that of the perfect country-rock ballad: a slowed-down, dance-sway beat; delicate guitar (albeit without the twang) and romantic piano; and a sweet voice drenched with harmony going on about the pains of loneliness and heartache. Souther's dual country-pop charm is unearthed through the plea of fabricated desperation in his voice and in the truck-stop guilelessness of the lyrics, a foolproof combination for creating this type of radio ballad during the '70s. Aside from the apparent clichés, the song struck a chord with pop and country fans alike, and the song peaked at number seven on the pop charts and even higher on the country charts. You're Only Lonely [the album] received some help from some pretty prominent musicians, as Souther hired Danny Kortchmar to play guitar, David Sanborn to add some sax, and even Phil Everly to help out with the harmony on one of the songs, as well as three members of the Eagles and even Jackson Browne.

Right Place, Wrong Time

Dr. John

Released in 1973. It reached #9 in the Billboard Hot 100 chart. First track of his album "Right Place, Wrong Time" Written by Dr.John (Mac Rebennack)

David Spinozza: guitar solo.

That´s all I know... :P

About "Right Place, Wrong Time" allmusic.com says:

Easily one of the most familiar songs by Dr. John, "Right Place, Wrong Time" gave "the Doctor" his first (and only) Top 20 hit in early 1973. Written and constructed (with the aid of New Orleans-based funksters the Meters) in the studio, it was a case of a song falling into place. A funk base pre-staged disco by a couple of years, and the lyrics are surely autobiographical, given the Doctor's substance dependency at the time.

Thanks guys.

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #55

THREE songs needing facts:

Reflections Of My Life - Marmalade (1969)

Lazy Sunday - The Small Faces (1968)

I Don't Need No Doctor - Humble Pie (1971)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

"Reflections of my life"

The Marmalade

Released in 1969. Their only hit in the US, it reached #10 in the charts nd # 3 in the UK.

wikipedia:

After a change of record label to Decca Records, under a deal allowing them to write and produce their own songs, they recorded their only American hit, the melancholy "Reflections Of My Life", with its distinctive backwards guitar break.

I know some songfactor will add information to this. :)

"I don´t need no doctor"

Humble Pie

Written by Jo Armstead/Nickolas Ashford/Valerie Simpson.

wikipedia:

A concert at the Fillmore East was captured on Perfomance Rockin' The Fillmore (1971); it is considered one of the best live albums of its era, with Marriott, Frampton, and the rest of the group in fine form. The loud-quiet-loud epic "I Don't Need No Doctor" was an FM radio hit in the United States, propelling the album to the group's biggest commercial success yet.

Just like in the previous post, someone should have more info... ;)

I don't need no doctor -- the song also appeared on the Steve Marriott live solo album "Steve Marriott - Dingwalls, 6.7.84", which was released in August 1984.

Lazy Sunday:

-Steve Marriott lived in Ewan Green, Chiswick, where he had a lot of trouble with his neighbours who were constantly complaining about the noise, and wrote Lazy Sunday about his time there. The lyrics were written in his Aunt's bathroom.

- it started off as a slow, bluesy song, but was eventually changed around in the recording studio.

Steve Marriott originally did not want Lazy Sunday to be released as a single as he feared it would show the Small Faces in a bad light, with funny lyrics and sung in a cockney accent, but it was released on the 5th of April 1968 with Rollin' Over on the flipside and went to number 2.

-It also appeared on the album Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake in the same year.

- the fact that the band felt that they weren't taken seriously anymore after Lazy Sunday was released was part of the reason for the split of the Small Faces

The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #56

THREE songs again this week, all needing facts:

Massachusetts (The Lights Went Out In) - Bee Gees (1967)

Since I Fell For You - Lenny Welch (1963)

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll) - AC/DC (1976)

We are also accepting facts on:

Don't Let Me Down - The Beatles & Billy Preston

While this song is already in the database, it is the Beatles only version. Facts of the song featuring Billy Preston will be added there.

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

The Songfish thanks you.

"Massachusetts (The Lights Went Out In)"

Bee Gees

Written by Barry, Robin & Maurice Gibb.

Released as a single in 1967.

It´s the first Bee Gees song to reach #1 in the UK in October 1967. It was later released in their album "Horizontal" in 1968.

Wikipedia says:

The song was the brothers' response to the flower power movement which they were growing tired of. The lyric turned songs like Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)" on their head by telling the tale of a man who had been to San Francisco at the height of the Haight-Ashbury era and was now homesick for his home state. The reason the lights had all gone out in Massachusetts was because everybody had gone to San Francisco.

- For Maurice Gibb, the song had a painful memory attached. Shortly after it was recorded, Beatles manager Brian Epstein told him that it was beautiful and would be the hit of the summer. These proved to be Epstein's last words to Maurice - he died a few days later.

- The B-side was a Barry Gibb composition "Barker of The UFO".

"Don't Let Me Down"

The Beatles & Billy Preston

Recorded live on January 28th 1969, Apple Studios.

Produced by George Martin

Engineer: Glyn Johns; 2nd Engineer: Alan Parsons.

Billy Preston plays a Fender Rhodes Electric Piano.

That´s all I know.

While this song is already in the database, it is the Beatles only version. Facts of the song featuring Billy Preston will be added there.

All that needs doing is to add "with Billy Preston" (that's how it was shown, with 'Get Back' on the reverse) + what edna found out about him. The 'Beatles Only' rooftop performance featured in the Movie "Let It Be" was not released on record ! (Unless there's some demos/rehearsals on one of their Anthologies).

:)

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) ~ AC/DC (1976)

-February, 1975: High Voltage album released in Australia

-March, 1975: Mark Evans passes audition for the vacant bassist position and joins the band

-June, 1975: The High Voltage album reaches Gold in Australia

-December, 1975: Single released in Australia with "Can I Sit Next To You Girl" on the flip-side.

-January, 1976: The song peaks at #5 on the national charts.

-April, 1976: Released as a single with "Can I Sit Next to You Girl" in the U.K.

-September, 1976: "High Voltage" album released in the U.S.

-October, 1976: Released as a single in Germany with "Can I Sit Next to You Girl"

-November, 1976: Released with "High Voltage" as a single in the U.S.

Lyrics:

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)

(Young-Young-Scott)

Ridin' down the highway

Goin' to a show

Stop in all the byways

Playin' rock 'n' roll

Gettin' robbed

Gettin' stoned

Gettin' beat up

Broken boned

Gettin' had

Gettin' took

I tell you folks

It's harder than it looks

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll

If you think it's easy doin' one night stands

Try playin' in a rock 'n' roll band

Hotel, motel

Make you wanna cry

Lady do the hard sell

Know the reason why

Gettin' old

Gettin' grey

Gettin' ripped-off

Under-paid

Gettin' sold

Second hand

That's how it goes

Playin' in a band

If you wanna be a star of stage and screen

Look out it's rough and mean

Well it's a long way

It's a long way, you should've told me

It's a long way, such a long way

Dates and lyrics from: AC-DC.net

Edited by Guest
forgot to credit website

All that needs doing is to add "with Billy Preston". The 'Beatles Only' rooftop performance featured in the Movie "Let It Be' was not released on record ! (Unless there's some demos/rehearsals on one of their Anthologies).

:)

...and I believe Billy Preston performed on all the "Don´t Let me Down" versions. Correct me if I´m wrong.

Billy Preston is on the roof.

On January 22, Billy Preston is casually at the Apple reception area; George convinces him to join the sessions.

It´s the first time they record "Don´t Let me Down".

According Wikipedia:

The Beatles moved to Apple Studios on 22 January continuing until 31 January. Keyboardist Billy Preston was brought in to supplement the band for the live performances; Preston worked with the Beatles from 22-31 January and played with them on the rooftop concert.

O.K. you got me. I didn't see "Let It Be", the Movie. :)

Of course all of that came from my head - I should have checked my books first, it looks like. Thank goodness for Wikipedia, or we'd all have to read books.

:P

Album Covers and CD Booklets are good too. I love reading well written liner notes. A friend of mine used to do it for 'Hard To Get' Hits Compilations.