Chris Daughtry

We are all aware of my extreme love for American Idol contestant Chris Daughtry. My heart was broken last week when he was sent packing. My tear ducts are still sore from the uncontrollable sobbing.

But the more I think about it, I've realized that not winning may the best thing for him. He can do as he pleases (after the obligatory AI tour this summer) and has already built up a rabid fan base. He was given the boot on Wednesday and was offered the lead singer position by the band Fuel on Thursday. Not bad, eh? Personally, I don't think he should take it, but the offer itself is pretty cool.

He has been giving interviews all over the place and comes across as a talented man with just the right mix of confidence and humility. He's a wonderful family man who so obviously loves his wife and step-kids. I think he is extremely talented and will go far. I hope this is the beginning of a long and fruitful career for my beautiful bald boy.

So I'm starting this thread in honor of him. Nay-sayers and ne'er-do-wells beware...I will have no Chris bashing here. }:(

Here is a link to a site that has all of his AI performances and all of the interviews he's done as of late...

Mr. Daughtry

Here is our original thread about American Idol '06...

American Idol

And here is a spoiler thread about American Idol...

American Idol Spoilers

Here is a picture of the man himself courtesy of the fine folks at Daughtry Pictures...

daughtry7at.jpg

^ hmm what's going on here?

i think chris has a great career ahead of him - he's gotten amazing exposure from the show (although probably not enough to satisfy our peaches! :googly:) and he can do things on his own terms now. i felt genuinely sorry for him when he got voted off, especially the tactless way ryan stupidcrest broke the news. but from now on it's forwards not backwards, upwards not downwards and always, always twirling. i'm sure you'll get to see plenty more of him, peaches!

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Daughtry is First American Idol to the Pop Top 40

Link

This year's American Idol finale may have come down to Taylor Hicks vs. Katharine McPhee, but neither is the first to make it to the top 40 on the Billboard pop singles chart. The fact that season 5 may have been the richest American Idol season in terms of talent is abundantly displayed this week as 4 of the competitors debut on this week's Pop Top 100.

The highest position is Chris Daughtry's #37 placing with his version of "Wanted Dead or Alive", a #7 pop hit for Bon Jovi back in 1987. His high debut is propelled primarily by a #16 opening in online digital track sales. Taylor Hicks can gain some consolation by a debut at #21 on the Adult Contemporary chart for his upcoming single "Do I Make You Proud." This week's Pop Top 100 chart appearances for all 4 "Idols":

#37 - Chris Daughtry - "Wanted Dead or Alive"

#53 - Taylor Hicks - "Takin' It to the Streets"

#73 - Elliott Yamin - "Moody's Mood for Love"

#90 - Katharine McPhee - "Think"

The coming year could be one of the hottest yet for American Idol related music.

• 6 months later...

Idol Chartwatch, week of December 1:

Daughtry Hits it Big

by Donna Reynolds -- 12/01/2006

If you've been waiting to find out how Chris Daughtry's CD did its first week of release, the wait is over. The numbers are in and they are extraordinary. Read on to find out just how well Chris did and to find out where the rest of the Idols ended up.

The numbers are in and Daughtry is a hit. The CD sold 304,000 copies in its first week and debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200. Chris beat out Snoop Dogg, the Beatles, and even the latest "Now" release, and was second only to Jay-Z who sold nearly 700,000 copies of Kingdom Come to sit comfortably atop the chart.

How can this be explained? Chris Daughtry finished fourth on Idol, and no fourth place (or even third place) finisher has ever sold anything close to 300,000 copies in one week.

There are a number of factors at play here. First, Daughtry couldn't have been released at a better time. It was on the shelves as people hit the stores for one of the biggest holiday shopping days of the season.

But there's more than just good timing. Chris was allowed to record the kind of music that his fans expected and appreciate. This is rare indeed, and certainly contributed to the outstanding first week sales.

Plus he had some of his own material on the album. The powers-that-be need to take a look at this and rethink the way they try to "package" Idol winners and runners-up. I think Chris' success is significant for this very reason.

Note that Chris' first week sales exceeded those of Kelly Clarkson's Thankful (297,000), Clay's Merry Christmas With Love (270,000), Kelly's Breakaway (250,000), Fantasia's Free Yourself (240,000), and Bo's The Real Thing (227,000).

Daughtry also charted on the Digital Sales chart (#2), the Internet Album Sales chart (#4), and was #1 on the Top Rock chart.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I meant to say What but failed to proof-read.......I don't know what American Idol is....Is it some sort of singing thing per-chance?

"American Idol" is the US equivalent of our "Pop Idol" / "Search For A Star" / "X-Factor", etc. with which you are surely familiar.

It's shown in the UK: ITV2, Friday nights, (repeated on Sunday, I think).

The latest series has been pretty rubbish, but previous seasons have been compulsive viewing (after a fashion).

While we're about it: whatever has happened to Fantasia Burrino? She has undoubtedly been the outstanding performer from all the seasons I've watched.