The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten # 11

Well my Top 3 were easy (and they weren't even my nominations) but I had to leave out a lot of great songs again. Of course I'll always vote for most Beatles' songs.

1. She Loves You - The Beatles

2. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen

3. Sunny - Bobby Hebb

4. Centerfold - J.Geils Band

5. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

6. And I Love Her - The Beatles

7. Do Wah Diddy Diddy - Manfred Mann

8. Classical Gas - Mason Williams

9. Girls Talk - Dave Edmunds

10.I Can't Go For That - Hall and Oates

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. These Eyes - The Guess Who

2. Time Of The Season - The Zombies

3. Only Women Bleed - Alice Cooper

4. Do You Feel Like We Do - Peter Frampton

5. Wild World - Cat Stevens

6. It Don't Come Easy - Ringo Starr

7. Beth - KISS

8. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

9. D'yer Mak'er - Led Zeppelin

10. She Loves You - The Beatles

Another difficult one.

1. And I Love Her - The Beatles

2. Do Wah Diddy Diddy - Manfred Mann

3. Don't Forbid Me - Pat Boone

4. Never My Love - The Association

5. She Loves You - The Beatles

6. Time After Time - Cindy Lauper

7. Superstition - Stevie Wonder

8. We've Got Tonight - Bob Seger

9. Long Train Running - The Doobie Brothers

10. Sunny - Bobby Hebb

1. Time Of The Season - The Zombies

2. Pink Moon - Nick Drake

3. And I Love Her - The Beatles

4. D'yer Mak'er - Led Zeppelin

5. Long Train Running - The Doobie Brothers

6. Wild World - Cat Stevens

7. She Loves You - The Beatles

8. Sunny - Bobby Hebb

9. Time After Time - Cindy Lauper

10. West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys

Thanks everyone ! I think everyone who nominated has voted except c s 1987 (haven't seen him on the boards today). Also any regulars who may have missed nominating are, of course, welcome to vote.

I'll close voting in about 12 hours. I think the Top Ten is going to be a little surprising this time. (Told you nominating more than one song for the same Artist/s splits the vote !). I can say no more ! Hint - we may have our first #1 by a solo artist.

;)

Ahh, what a shame.. I nominated Moxy Fruvous, basically just to see if anyone knew who they were.. And no one voted for them. How can a song with the line "let's make friday part of the weekend, and give every new baby chocolate eclair" not make the list! :D

Malakin, I like the bald headed guy in the Group the best, because I have more hair than him ! I hate to add insult to injury, but Pat Boone polled higher than them.

;)

O.K. Voting is CLOSED. Top Ten #11 is coming up ! There's some surprises.

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten #11 for period ending 25th May 2006.

1. WILD WORLD - CAT STEVENS (1971)

2. SHE LOVES YOU - THE BEATLES (1963)

3. TIME OF THE SEASON - THE ZOMBIES (1967)

4. AND I LOVE HER - THE BEATLES (1964)

5. SUPERSTITION - STEVIE WONDER (1972)

6. D'YER MAK'ER - LED ZEPPELIN (1973)

7. SUNNY - BOBBY HEBB (1966)

8. ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST - QUEEN (1980)

9. NEVER MY LOVE - THE ASSOCIATION (1967)

10.LONG TRAIN RUNNIN' - THE DOOBIE BROTHERS (1973)

THANKS TO ALL WHO NOMINATED/ VOTED. :coolio:

I'm looking forward to your comments on the TEN.

I honestly thought She Loves You would easily make #1, but Wild World was a real "sleeper". Good nomination Earth-Angel. Great to see 3 fine 60s Pop songs besides The Beatles in there too. I was surprised how highly Time Of The Season polled.

:headphones:

I was counting them down, but my connection dropped out briefly. Sorry rt and others ! WHO would have thought that Cat Stevens would be the first solo artist to make #1 on our Top Ten ? Five 60s, four 70s and one 80s song(s). We surely do like the 60s and 70s the best ! There were some great 80s + ones nominated too this time. Where's all those 80s teenagers ?

:)

He was teasing us.

Look at all the 60's songs. I think some of us even made a concentrated effort to put up 80's songs. Only 1 makes it, barely. The 70's songs are very early 70's. I'm very happy with it!!

You've done it again. Good job Darryl!! :bow:

Thanks CeeCee. But I couldn't do it without all of you; I'm just the M.C. :)

And you're right - I was teasing you a little bit, but Young 55 is talking to all his little friends around the World (no Uni today) and he did cause me to drop out briefly.

I always liked "Morning Has Broken". A very beuatiful song. As you know this is also in many church hymnals. Once in church we were singing this hymn and my wife and I put the Cat Stevens spin on the melody which is very different from the original melody of the hymn.

rtstuff

I've always liked him too rt. Funny, I thought Jimmy Cliff wrote "Wild World" and Cat Stevens covered it, but I see here on Songfacts that the Cat did write it for his then girlfriend, Patty D'Arbanville.

His biggest Hits here in Australia were: Peace Train, Lady D'Arbanville, Morning Has Broken and (Remember The Days Of) The Old School Yard. The first we heard of him was with Matthew And Son. Is that known in the U.S. ?

Sorry c s. I did close it off earlier than usual probably, because everyone voted so quickly, and I hadn't seen you around the boards for a couple of days ! How about giving us your Top ten for interest's sake anyway, please ?

Lots of friends on here now I see ! Steel Magnolia - we've missed you. And it looks like Laurie's computer still isn't fixed - missing her. Buy a new one Laurie !

Edited by Guest
ABSENT FRIENDS !

So now you know, 55... 80s just weren't where it was at. I graduated high school in '80, and I can remember Pat Benatar being really popular in those years immediately following, and Rick Springfield, and that's about it. I tried! :puppyeyes:

It looks like it Shawna. I thought both Jessie's Girl and Centerfold would make the Top Ten ! It looks like the 80s just don't cut it ! Maybe I'll try a Pat Benatar song.

I'll put on a list of all the Nominations and votes gained soon !!!

Funny, I thought Jimmy Cliff wrote "Wild World" and Cat Stevens covered it, but I see here on Songfacts that the Cat did write it for his then girlfriend, Patty D'Arbanville.

I was a fan of Cat Stevens since the late sixties... actually, "Lady D'Arbanville" and then "Wild World" made me discover him.

I remember I was at a Jimmy Cliff concert and he sang "Wild World", I told a friend that I liked his cover and he told me it was Cat Stevens who did the cover. So the belief that it was a Jimmy Ciff's song was quite spread...