Year Of The Cat

Carl

A 1976 hit for Al Stewart. The lyrics seem to be inspired by the movie Casablanca. I'm hoping to learn something from this one, so chime in if you know anything about the following:

• What is the Year Of The Cat? I think it's Vietnamese astrology.
  • How are the lyrics related to the movie? I know there's some Bogart fans out there.
  • What's the deal with Al Stewart? I've met British people who rank him with David Bowie, but Americans are more likely to think he's a truck driver.

I think you're right about the origin of Year of the Cat. I believe Stewart had a fondness for south Africa, enters Bogart.

I believe he was a very literate songwriter and had one of the best producers going, Alan Parsons.

Year of the Cat was a musical feast. Four classy solos here for the price of one - starts with a stings intro, then acoustic guitar, electric guitar then finally sax.

It's funny what people like as Stewart claims that Year of the Cat isn't his favorite song.

First, I'd like to comment of how much I LOVE that tune. You can't beat a song with this beautiful line ... " She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running like a watercolour in the rain"

Here is my opinion about the song:

The lyrics/story remind me of ELO's "Last Train to London." As a matter of fact, the story is all too familiar with each other. Instead of explaining, here's the lyrics to "Last Train to London" and you'll be able to see my point ... :D

Last Train To London - Electric Light Orchestra (J.Lynne)

It was 9:29...

9:29, back street, big city

The sun was going down

There was music all around

It felt so right.

It was one of those nights

One of those nights

When you feel the world stop turning

You were standing there

There was music in the air

I should have been away

But I knew I had to stay

CHORUS:

Last train to London, just heading out

Last train to London, just leaving town

But I really want tonight to last forever

I really want to be with you

Let the music play on down the line tonight.

It was one of those nights

One of those nights

When you feel the fire burning

Everybody was there

Everybody to share

It was so right.

There you were on your own

Looking like you were the only one around

I had to be with you

Nothing else that I could do

I should have been away

But I knew I had to stay.

REPEAT CHORUS

Underneath a starry sky

Time was still but hours must really have rushed by

I didn't realize

But love was in your eyes

I really should have gone

But love went on and on.

I was thinking the zodiac thing also, but in the Chinese calander that I'm familiar with, there is no "year of the Cat". However, my knowledge of this subject only comes from reading paper placemats at Chinese restaurants. The Vietnamese could have a "year of the cat". We are currently in the year of the Monkey, last year was the Ram according to the Chinese. They also start their year on Feburary 1st which gave them an extra month to prepare for Y2K. But their numbering is off as well. The year 2000 was something in the 4000's for them, so the issue probably never came up.

I thought I remembered the song but I was thinking about

"Tears of the Clown" not

"Year of the Cat"

I'm not even sure who Al Stewart is. I do remember the English liked Cliff Richard a lot more than we did.

I also never saw "Casablanca", so apparently I know nothing about what you were talking about, Carl, and probably shouldn't have posted anything.

How are you enjoying the year of the Monkey?

Personally I'm looking forward next year, the year of the Rooster. This one should be good for us girls. Pfizer could do some tie-in commercials about it's best selling product. "It's the year of the rooster, shouldn't yours be standing tall and proud."

Several years down the road is the year of the Rat. I wonder if this is going to hurt organized crime?

The Chinese zodiac most certainly does have a year of the cat:

The tiger.

::

BTW, I'm a rat. The Chinese zodiac pertains to the year you were born.

Year of the cock shouldn't have any benefit for you unless you were born in the year of the cock or know someone that was. :googly:

The only difference I believe in the Vietnamese and Chinese zodiac is the Chinese has a rabbit where the Vietnamese has a cat.

What's with the fixation of the Vietnamese and cats? I mean, they already had a tiger, why would they also want a cat? I guess they don't like rabbits.

The Chinese zodiac most certainly does have a year of the cat:

The tiger.

::

BTW, I'm a rat. The Chinese zodiac pertains to the year you were born.

Year of the cock shouldn't have any benefit for you unless you were born in the year of the cock or know someone that was. :googly:

I did say my only knowledge came from reading paper placemats at Chinese restaurants.

I'm hoping it will inspire some of the same grooming techniques that are demanded of us girls. "The year of the Rooster, please keep yours neatly trimmed." One of those Braun Beard and Moustache trimmers could be helpful. I'm probably going to be as disappointed as I was with the year of the Ram that sounded so promising. :puppyeyes:

And I'm a Dog, 1970, but my picture kind of gave that away.

I can be almost certain that the place mat which you acquired your knowledge didn't use the word rooster. ::

Again, since you are a dog then the year of the ram or the year of the cock has no significance to you unless you were born of the year or compatible with someone born of the year.

I must admit, the Chinese zodiac has amazed me time and time again with it's accuracy. The American zodiac, to me, is much more general and can apply to everyone at anytime.