Kurt is #1

Farin

Well, yes, 'destiny' is a poor choice of words... maybe I should have said he wasn't made of the 'material' which famous people are made of and that's probably why he is so adored.

I mean, think about it. His songs are so incredibly personal, and it's evident that he didn't like just ANYONE listening to them. He comes across as such a private person that success seems to be a bad thing. And for that reason, if he wants to write about suicide and depression, that's his call, but I don't think he really would like his words to have as much significance as a holy text. Which unfortunately is what they became to a lot of people.

I know what I'm trying to say but I'm not sure I'm putting it across too well.

just because you don't agree with them, does not mean that they are wrong. music is a very subjective thing, and if i understand correctly, these people were asked who their rock idols were. just because elvis and bob dylan are huge, very influential etc etc does not mean they are everyone's rock idol! i find this attitude very patronising!

Ok, maybe I was patronising..."Tant pis"

I imagine only the younger cohort of the NME readership voted here. Actually having a "rock idol" is a peculiarly adolescent trait, (isn't it?), let alone voting for one. Most of us grow out of that sort of thing pretty quickly, don't we?

I suspect the reason I 'm so tempted to patronise the NME readership at every opportunity, is that the NME has "dumbed down" so much over the last ten years or so, to pick up the audiences of rival publications which fell by the wayside: Record Mirror, Sounds, and finally but crucially, teeny-boppers lyic & poster mag "Smash Hits". Prior to all that the NME was the music-paper of the intelligentsia (left-wing and left-field) and prone to patronising the likes of me... it's descent into the mire of teen-populism has been by turns amusing and deeply irritating.

Invis, when you say this...

just because you don't agree with them, does not mean that they are wrong
I know in my heart of hearts that you are right, even though I still believe that the people who voted Ian Brown as the world's greatest rock-star are just plain wrong. Give them a different set of crayons tomorrow and they'll draw you a different picture...

There, I'm at it again. :blush:

Edited by Guest
correct typo error

I suspect the reason I 'm so tempted to patronise the NME readership at every opportunity, is that the NME has "dumbed down" so much over the last ten years or so, to pick up the audiences of rival publications which fell by the wayside: Record Mirror, Sounds, and finally but crucially, teeny-boppers lyic & poster mag "Smash Hits".

Tch...I forgot to include "Melody Maker", which until its demise, was the NMEs "rival publication" throughout the 1990s. :doh:

i agree with you, and i especially agree about ian brown, who won rock life time acheivement award at the nme awards! i've seen him live when he was touring one of his solo albums, and it was the worst gig i'v ever been to!

i just hate it when people think that everyone should idolise classic rock starts like dylan and elvis. it's purely subjective and that's why i said that you are being patronising. i wasn't suggesting that i agree with what they voted for (apart ffrom the examples i already mentioned) . and yes, we are too old for idols!

Also bear in mind, this is the NME list. There will no doubt be a Rolling Stone list, a Spin list, and every other music mag under the sun list... and the nice thing is - they will all be different! No 2 will have the same top 10, yes, maybe the same names in some cases, but not in the same placing and in comparison to the same collective lists.

No one will ever agree on the same people to fill the spots, and rightly so - as seen here, everyone has a different idea and that's what makes this place so great! Respecting others opinions and makng informed decisions :headphones:

I'm Going To Be A Teenage Idol

Music by Elton John

Lyrics by Bernie Taupin

Available on the album Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player

Well there's slim times when my words won't rhyme

And the hills I face are a long hard climb

I just sit cross legged with my old guitar

It kind of makes me feel like a rock and roll star

Well it makes me laugh Lord it makes me cry

And I think for once let me just get high

Let me get electric put a silk suit on

Turn my old guitar into a tommy gun