List 24

Earth-Angel

Adore - Smashing Pumpkins

adore3wp.jpg

Released in mid 1998, I had waited 3 years for this album. I knew it was going to be amazing as soon as I heard the first single.

Beautifully dark as only the Pumpkins could be, the album was also delightfully different to anything they had brought us before. I also realised this would be one of their last albums.

Without writing an entire album review, I can reveal the incredibly beautiful instrumentals on the album - mournfully touching piano intro's intertwined with Corgan's whispy vocals in tracks such as Blank Page, Perfect, For Martha and Crestfallen. I could cry for days with this album on repeat. In fact, I think I cried for weeks.

Angrier tunes puncture through the more serene pieces - punchy pieces like Ava Adore and Daphne Descends.

Perfect defined a moment in time for me.

Appels and Oranges, Pug, The tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete - this album was undersold and underpraised. Such a pity it fell short in the glorious shadow of Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness.

It deserved far more than to be looked upon as the awkward, quiet cousin.

thank you sue!

here's something from my teenage years

placebo "without you i'm nothing"

most people in the early-mid twenties must be familiar with placebo and this album in particular. placebo "exploded" in the mainstream, when the single from this album, "every you every me" appear in the soundtrack to "cruel intentions". The small placebo following suddenly became massive (something which pissed me off at the time)

a great representative of the late 90s "brit" rock scene, fun, uplifting but also very sensual and sexy. a wicked album with some really great songs like "every you every me", "pure morning" (my personal fave from this album) and "you don't care about us". more mellow songs include "without you i'm nothing" and "my sweet prince"

2160x1606dd.jpg

Coldplay ~ Parachutes

1. Don't Panic

2. Shiver

3. Spies

4. Sparks

5. Yellow

6. Trouble

7. Parachutes

8. High Speed

9. We Never Change

10. Everything's Not Lost

The first and, in my opinion, best Coldplay album.

It's one of the few records in my collection, where I like every single song.

The mood throughout it, is dark and melancholic, which gets underlined beautifully by the distorted guitars and the general rhythm of the songs.

Here's the opening statment of a very good review, I read:

"We live in a beautiful world" sings Chris Martin in "Don't Panic", the opening track of Parachutes. But the music makes unambiguously clear: That's no reason to be euphorical about it. (...) The Beauty of the world has to be a sad one.

here's another from my late teenage years

muse "showbiz"

a great band with an amazingly talented frontman! "showbiz" is the debut muse album, and in my opion, their best. very emotional, quite angry at times, with hints of radiohead in both his voice as well as some of their themes, but a lot heavier. "muscle museum" is one of my favourite songs of all times, some some of the greatest lyrics ever ("can you see that I am needing, begging for so much more than you could ever give. I don't want you to adore me, don't want you to ignore me when it pleases you. I can do it on my own!)

other than "muscle museum", i can't really identify any specific good songs, because they are all sooo good! an album that you can listen to from beggining to end without skipping one song!

Richard Bona Tiki

B000BP178S.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Richard Bona with his band did the best live performance I have ever attended in November last year when he played at a small club where I live. Such an incredible bassist! Some consider him one of the best. The rest of the band was terrific also. For two hours they entertained us with music that was forceful, joyful and profound at the same time. If you have any chance to listen to him live, take it. See www.bonatology.com for info about concerts. Here’s a review of his latest CD, Tiki.

You have to hand it to Richard Bona - the bassist-singer-songwriter just keeps getting better and better. After a couple of nice-but-tentative albums, he switched labels (to Universal) and really got into his stride with 2003's Munia (The Tale), and continues the story with Tiki. He's also an inveterate collaborator, working with Pat Metheny, Mike Stern, Toto-Bona-Kanza and Bobby McFerrin, not to mention a cameo on Faces and Places for his old boss Joe Zawinul. Tiki demonstrates what a confident musician Bona is. He sings most of his songs in Douala, one of more than 200 Cameroonian dialects, yet the music is truly of the world. There's a strong Brazilian influence on numbers such as Manyaka O Brazil, reminiscent of Milton Nascimento, while Esoka Bulu (Night Whisper) seems indebted to the great American songbook. Ida Bato (Ancient Song 1789) is a tour de force for multitracked vocals, mbira and rippling acoustic guitars There's straight pop, smooth jazz, funk and an intense and moving, neo-classical version of Jaco Pastorius's Three Women orchestrated for strings. Yet Tiki is almost shockingly easy to listen to - it's music that makes you smile, moves your feet and touches your heart in ways that more celebrated music personalities can only dream about.

• 2 weeks later...

archallies4oa.th.jpg

Arch Allies (Styx and REO Speedwagon Live)

Unfortunately I only have the Styx tracks.

It was released in 2000.

1.Blue Collar Man

2.Grand Illusion

3.Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)

4.Lady

5.Brave New World

6.The Edge of the Century

7.Heavy Water

8.Too Much Time On My Hands

9.Renegade

10.Blue Collar Man (Jam w/REO Speedwagon)

When I first heard about this I knew it would be cool... and it is.

Edited by Guest

Come on guys, just one nomination from each person and this forum comes alive!

It seems to be sadly, dying a slow and painful death :(

Just a short write up of an album you would like to have everyone else listening to, maybe your favourite tracks or something nice you associate with it and hey presto! We have a new list!

:coolio:

The good will out ~ Embrace

goodwillout9zh.jpg

Fantastic album and one that should be in every "Brit rock/pop" fan. Not hard like Oasis and not punchy like Stereophonics, but not as sad as The Verve either. True Britpop with strings and guitars loving spilling out power ballads like "Fireworks", "Higher sights" and "Come back to what you know", and then punching the air victorioulsy with "All you good good people". Danny's voice is just right, and one that should have received far more attention than it did. Released in 1998, brothers Danny and Richard McNamara are a winning combination who keep it real and down to earth, bringing you an honest and touching album which will keep you company through the sad times reminding you, the good will out!

Tracklisting

1. Now You're Nobody*

2. You've Got To Say Yes

3. Retread

4. That's All Changed Forever*

5. I Want The World

6. Fireworks*

7. My Weakness Is None Of Your Business*

8. Last Gas

9. Higher Sights*

10. All You Good Good People*

11. Intro

12. Good Will Out*

13. One Big Family

14. Come Back To What You Know*

R.E.M. ~ Monster

monsteralbumrem8vb.jpg

1. What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" – 4:00

2. "Crush with Eyeliner" – 4:39

3. "King of Comedy" – 3:40

4. "I Don't Sleep, I Dream" – 3:27

5. "Star 69" – 3:07

6. "Strange Currencies" – 3:52

7. "Tongue" – 4:13

8. "Bang and Blame" – 5:30

9. "I Took Your Name" – 4:02

10. "Let Me In" – 3:28

11. "Circus Envy" – 4:15

12. "You" – 4:54

Definitly the hardest and 'rockiest' album they ever made. No more acustic guitars and slow, silent songs like in the previous albums, here the amplifiers got turned up. One of my favourite albums, especially "What's the Frequency, Kenneth", "Star 69" and "Circus Envy".

BTW, the song "Let Me In" was written for Kurt Cobain just a few months after his death. Cobain was a close friend to Micheal Stipe.

Seven Swans-Sufjan StevensB0001F7U9S.01._PE36_.Seven-Swans._SCLZZZ

This album is absolutely incredible. It can make you laugh, cry, smile, dance, sing along and just about anything else you can imagine in one song. The first two songs are extremely low key then it sort of picks up in the third. The fourth, "To Be Alone With You" is possibly the saddest song I've ever heard. From the first chords, it's just incredible. I've never heard a more depressed guitar. The rest of the album continues in that style, an epic song, a sleepy song, an upbeat song, a sad song. And then the title track comes on and is just. . . . incredibly perfect. Then after that, the final song ends the album with an upbeat banjo, and sad lyrics, and it about encompasses the entire album, simply.

1.All the trees of the field will clap their hands

2.That Dress Looks Nice On You

3.The Devil's Territory

4.To be Alone With You

5.Abraham

6.Sister

7.Size Too Small

8.We Won't Need Legs To Stand

9.A Good Man Is Hard To Find

10.He Woke Me Up Again

11.Seven Swans

12.The Transfiguration

Sufjan plays all instruments on the album, and he does all the vocals escept the girls in the background of course. Incredible Album.

I nominate "Rattle and Hum" by U2.

Rattle and Hum CD cover and song samples

From the opening song, a cover of "Helter Skelter" to the mellow closer "All I Want Is You", this album has it all. There's a gospel choir backing the band in "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", a collaboration with BB King, "When Love Comes to Town" and great live versions of their hits.

It is my favorite U2 album. As you can see, I'm not great at writing these things, so that's why I provided the link so you can listen for yourself.