Rock my Soul - The Elvin Bishop Band

bazooka

This one didn't make the cut for Music Of Choice List 23, so I'll proselytize up here.

elvin.jpg

Rock My Soul - The Elvin Bishop Band

Elvin Bishop might be known as one of the 3 Bs ( Butterfield, Bloomfield & Bishop ) of The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, or through his late 70s pop-oriented hit Fooled Around And Fell In Love, but I only recently 'discovered' this rockin’ R&B style treat from ’72.

When I arrived at a birthday party last November, the host had just loaded a CD. As I was groovin’ to the title tune, he asked me, “Do you remember this? Know who this is?†Although the song seemed familiar and was absolutely exceptional, I had to admit I couldn’t name the artist.

As soon as he let me know, this went on my wish list for Christmas -- and my nephew came through with it as a gift.

Let me tell you, people, there’s not an underachieving track on this album. It was confidently produced by Delaney Bramlett ( of Delaney & Bonnie), highlighting Bishop’s Gospel-inspired energy. Elvin shared lead vocals (“ I recognized early on that I didn’t have the kind of voice that was gonna thrill peopleâ€) with the late great (and thrilling) Ms. Jo Baker.