Dani California Observations

TheTallOne

1. The beginning sounds a lot like "Mary Jane's

Last Dance."

2. Although not intentional, the "who knew" part sounds like Fall Out Boy's "Dance Dance"

3. The solo is definentaly sampling "Purple Haze"

Just wanted to post this and put it out there.

i think the opening riff sounds like something else but i only realised that while half asleep this morning so i'll have to hear it again before i remember what!

i've seen them live twice - the first time i thought they were amazing and really enjoyed it! the second time they came on after the pixies so it was a total anti-climax and we left before their set ended. i like them alot but they've gone from a cool edgy rock band to the kind of band you listen to standing there, singing melodiously along with every word and holding hands with your boy/girlfriend. not quite as cool as they used to me but one of the best around nonetheless!

they were pretty funky back in the day, definetly not pure funk, but they had a bit of it. Lately their stuff is nothing funky. I'm talking about Freaky Styley etc

Seems as if they like california

Edited by Guest

1. The beginning sounds a lot like "Mary Jane's

Last Dance."

So VERY true, it always sounded like something I knew, but could never put my finger on it.

3. The solo is definentaly sampling "Purple Haze"

That or the John Frusciante somehow managed to make it sound exactly like Purple Haze.

I really dig the Chilis and think Dani is great. To me, they're one of the more underrated bands and have amassed a tremendous arsenal of great songs. I'm a big fan of that Funk sound with heavy bass and lyrics that flow over the beat.

Great observations about the song. I did get a strange sense that I'd heard parts of it before, but I thought it was from Phantom Planet's "California."