Did Sid Vicious kill punk rock?

Pauly T

Punk rock started as an intelligent alternative to rock'n'roll conservatism. Sid Vicious, or more accurately, his perceived legacy, turned punk into the very thing it set out to destroy.

Edited by Guest
word missing!

That's an excellent question, PT. Unfortunately, I think people are suffering "punk-rock burn-out" as a result of the other thread. (They're not used to such alot of it round here...)

I don't have time just now for the thesis your question deserves (those darned "family commitments" again...) but have this observation for now....

Did punk-rock kill Sid Vicious?

One day you're a style-conscious, but by all accounts fairly gentle and genial, Bowie-obsessive (i.e. a fairly "normal teenager") A couple of years later you're a dead legend .....

Nah , heroin did , though the 'scene' and the fame likely accelerated it . Cultural and social analyists like to think that people are swept up by tides of history ( makes a better story ) but , all in all , often the great and famous go down for pretty mundane reasons .

Sid Vicious' celebrity pseudonym, and the media hysteria surrounding punk, gave him a reputation to live up to. I reckon he was young fellow with a certain amount of ill-advised arrogance, (a mask for his vulnerability?), who was basically out of his depth. A lamb to the slaughter.

Reportedly, he had never been near heroin until Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers showed up, with junkie-prostitute Nancy Spungen in tow. Apparently she just wanted to hook a Sex Pistol, any Sex Pistol...It's arguable whether she would have been remotely interested in him, if he had not been a "celebrity punk".

Having said all that, I take your point.

Edited by Guest
In the interests of discretion