For the people that spank the planks...

MarcM

I was about ready to buy a Fender resonating guitar today, when the owner of the shop talked me out of the purchase. The guitar sounded pretty good (I love the sound of a resonator guitar) but he had said that there were some quality control issues with Fender acoustic guitars that are made in Korea. He even went so far as to say that Fender has no business making acoustic guitars because "they never get it right." Well, I am back to the drawing board and since I can not afford an American made resonating guitar, I am looking at a regular old parlor design, or maybe a dreadnought. One make the guy carried appealed to me, as it was high quality and hand made in Canada. Even better, it costs less than the Fender by about $50.00. My question is, have any of you guitar people heard of a company called "Art & Lutherie?" The model I am looking at is called the "AMI" and it is "parlor" sized. I am a beginner, if that makes any difference. The guy played it for me and it had a nice, rich tone. I may buy it on Wednesday if there are no red flags that pop up in my research. Thanks!

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/amis.htm

You may have done this already, but go to another 2 or three shops and ask about both guitars. Make sure you are getting the same story on a consistent basis. I would hate to think a guy turned you away from Fender, to sell something with a higher profit margin for him and/or the shop.

That's a cool guitar, Marc. I've not heard of that company, but you can't beat hand made. Beware that a parlor guitar is bit smaller than a normal dreadnought.

You could also look at some other brands that may not usually be the first thought. I searched and searched when buying a really nice acoustic a few years back. I tried Martin, Taylor, Guild, etc. But I ended up getting a Yamaha, and I don't regret it at all.