Bruce blasts Katrina response

RonJonSurfer

Springsteen Blasts Katrina Response at Jazz Festival

Bruce attacked politicians at New Orleans' Jazz & Heritage Festival Sunday.

Veteran rocker Bruce Springsteen called the official response to Hurricane Katrina Sunday during a performance at New Orleans' Jazz & Heritage Festival as "criminal."

Springsteen took the opportunity to attack politicians for the way in which they handled the aftermath of the disaster, which killed over 1,300 people across the Gulf Coast region last year.

He told the crowd, "I saw sights I never thought I'd see in an American city. The criminal ineptitude makes you furious."

During Springsteen's set fans cried as he played poignant songs, including "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live?" which contains such lyrics as "bodies floating" in the street and levees which had "gone to hell."

He also dedicated "My City in Ruins" - originally written about Asbury Park in New Jersey - to New Orleans, a city whose population has fallen from 500,000 to 200,000 as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Other stars to perform at the festival included Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello.

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006

Just got an email to listen to Bruce from the Jazz fest, it is "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live"...truly Bruce in top form. It is touching and moving.

Read Bruce's personal thoughts on the song below:

This song was written by Blind Alfred Reed and recorded a month after the crash of '29 that heralded the Great Depression. I first heard it on Ry Cooder's self - titled debut album (1970). To his arrangement we owe a debt. I kept the "doctor" first verse by Reed then wrote three others with a mind to the great trials the people of New Orleans have faced this year.

Here are the full lyrics:

Well, the doctor comes 'round here with his face all bright

And he says "in a little while you'll be alright"

All he gives is a humbug pill, a dose of dope and a great big bill

Tell me, how can a poor man stand such times and live?

He says "me and my old school pals had some might high times down here

And what happened to you poor black folks, well it just ain't fair"

He took a look around gave a little pep talk, said "I'm with you" then he took a little walk

There's bodies floatin' on Canal and the levees gone to Hell

Martha, get me my sixteen gauge and some dry shells

Them who's got got out of town

And them who ain't got left to drown

I got family scattered from Texas all the way to Baltimore

And I ain't got no home in this world no more

Gonna be a judgment that's a fact, a righteous train rollin' down this track

- Bruce Springsteen, April 27, 2006

He told the crowd, "I saw sights I never thought I'd see in an American city. The criminal ineptitude makes you furious."

Bruce's adopted hometown of Asbury Park looks like a disaster area and it has for years. Not to downplay Katrina, but Bruce has seen some of the worst urban blight in the US right in NJ in Asbury Park. He has donated money and time to the city, but as he forwards his political agenda, he can't forget that the people in his home state and town are questioning his motives.

Ron, I have heard about him doing things for Asbury Park, but have not heard anything in awhile. I just believe he is so unhappy with our administration that he voiced it, which I think is great. I hope he does not forget his hometown either, no one should, especially those that are able to give back.