The Minutemen - "Double Nickels on the Dime"

Batman

Minutemen

Double Nickels on the Dime

f34115t3334.jpg

D. Boon - Guitar and vocals

Mike Watt - Bass

George Hurley - Drums

"Double Nickels on the Dime" is one of the best albums to come out of the hardcore punk scene, and in my opinion, one of the best albums of the 80's. "Double Nickels on the Dime" is a 43 song album, with no filler. "Double Nickels on the Dime" is a punk album that includes elements of jazz and funk, instrumentally. While it's punk at heart, Boon incorporates jazz into his guitar style, and Watt plays his bass very funkily. This is a change from their previous album, "What Makes a Man Start Fires?" The sound on "Double Nickels on the Dime" seems a lot more loose than on earlier Minutemen albums.

As far as their overall sound goes, the Minutemen sound like a cross between the Meat Puppets, the Dead Kennedys, and Black Flag. The Minutemen also remind me a lot of Cream. Not because they sound like Cream, but because it was impossible to decide who was more important in Cream; Clapton, Baker, or Bruce. In the Minutemen, Boon, Watt, and Hurley all contribute equally. However, they are different than Cream in that they do not create a wall of sound. Each instrument stands out on each song, and the listener can easily distinguish each instrument. Another thing worth mentioning is that the sound is slightly unorganized. Not so unorganized that it would be considered noise rock, but enough that each instrument is playing something that wouldn't appear to fit with the other instruments. However, everything seems to fit together perfectly. I guess "Double Nickels on the Dime" is like "Remain In Light" with a lot less going on.

It's hard for me to describe "Double Nickels on the Dime," but you should go and buy it anyways. It's a really fun album, and the Minutemen seem to me to be some of the more talented punk rockers.