Who is (or was) the worlds best guitarist?

Jillianne

I would also like to see who likes Hendrix more than Eddie Van Halen...(give a response)

Well you aren't here anymore, but I like Hendrix much more than Eddie Van Halen. While they were both extremely innovative and talented, I like Hendrix more because Eddie was great because of his technical ability, and Hendrix was great because of his great feel of music. His music seemed more meaningful, powerful, and more like an experience (no pun intended). And I don't think that you can measure how good a guitarist is by anything tangible, such as guitar speed. It's all about the feel of the music. Another good way to put it is that you can imitate Eddie Van Halen if you practice enough, but with no amount of practice can you imitate Hendrix.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Such a touchy subject....those of us who play a bit of guitar will have different ideas to those who don't. Then there's the question of 'taste' 'innovation' 'speed' 'difficulty' etc. Most of us will have seen, at some time, so called 'amateur' guitarists who can play 'note for note' versions of classic songs. I remember seeing a guy in a pub band play Sultans of Swing absolutely perfectly the same week it hit the charts.....but he was playing his guitar upside down and back to front (ie he was a left hander who played a right handed guitar just turned the other way up, not re-strung for left hands...awesome and unbelievable...but true). I've seen pub guitarists play Satch Boogie with their teeth. There's a band called the Hamsters in the UK and I swear their guitarist can play any solo you care to mention at the drop of a hat at twice the usual speed whilst rolling a fag and having a pint of beer. Technical ability is fine but can usually be learnt fairly quickly....Van Halen was certainly not the man who invented tapping (Jazz guitarists had been doing it for ages) he was just the first to do it at 30000watts in the middle of a rock tune and he wrote a party piece (Eruption) to show it off. Folks ( mostly jazz) were doing chordal tapping for 20 years before Satriani....but he took it to new levels...I've got a mate who could play Always With You within a week of hearing it....mind you, he could never help me with the stretches on the chordal riff...I just can't do them.

As for 'innovation''melody' 'facility' etc. or even 'all round ability' my guess is that the best guitarist in the world is probably someone no-one has ever heard of...he probably doesn't even know it himself. When I last saw Satriani his support was an accoustic fingerpicker called Adrian Legg and even Satriani bowed down in supplication to his awesome technique. Satriani couldn't come close to achieving some of the stuff this guy did....but he could do stuff that no-one else could do.

No-one has mentioned Jeff Beck, Bill Nelson, Chet Atkins (knocks Mark Knopfler into a cocked hat...their duet album is embarrassing....come on Mark...keep up). As far as I'm concerned Hendrix invented 'rock guitar' as we understand it. Chuck Berry was a talented pimp. Jimmy Page was a very talented thief (and looked soooooo coool) :guitar:Robin Trower wrote three good songs (but they were very good) Clapton is a boring conman (his bass player was more talented and could sing better)and Stevie Ray (ten times better)died after 'supporting' him. Van halen took everything up a notch, Satriaini is a superb technician but has run out of melodic ideas, Vai never had any melodic ideas...he's just a flash git and is not fit to lick Zappa's boots...which is how he started anyways. Eric Johnson is fiendishly good....but so what?

My favourite guitarist is the kid down the road who can play absolutely anything he wants to...but insists on playing stuff I just don't understand...I'm sure he's a genius...but his mum keeps screaming for him to turn down.I don't understand it yet....but it sounds like nothing I've ever heard before ::

1)angus young

2)mark knoffler

3)stevie ray vaughn

4)eric johnson

5)dave gilmore

they are probably the best 5. also though there is rick and john brewster. they were in an aussie rock band called the angels. in the 70's and 80's. in america they changed there name to angel city. there stuff really has some killer riffs, and the solos blow me away. (sounds heaps like accadacca)

• 4 weeks later...

I think the top twenty five best guitar players are: (+ means gone, and * means one of my fav's)

1. Steve Vai *

2. Jimi Hendrix +

3. Randy Rhodes +

4. Zakk Wilde

5. Dimebag Darell +

6. Mark Tremonti *

7. Dan Donegan

8. Daron Malakian

9. Led Zepplin

10. Brad Delson

11. Wes Borland (although he is very weird and gay)

12. Jeff Beck

13. Stevie Ray Vaughn +

14. Joe Satriani

15. Eric Clampton

16. Slash

17. Jimmy Page

18. Ritchie Blackmore

19. Tom Morello

20. Steve Morse

21. Tony Iommi

22. Allen Collins +

23. John Petrucci

24. Eddie Van Halen

25. Eric Johnson

A good site to see 200 guitar players is: www.digitaldreamdoor.com / http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

Thank You

Sorry, I did not mean to put Led Zepplin, I ment to put Jeff Beck, I had Page going through my head :doh:, although Jimmy Page's band's name now is The Firm. Also, seeing as I am anti-Limp Bizkit :thumbsdown:, I know Wes Borland is a good guitar player, dumb :thumbsdown:, but good and anyway, I had thought of his name first and decided that it was to much to change it then so I left it. Now I probably would have put Wes Borland and Jimmy Page on each others spot :stars:. Thank you for telling me.

how 'bout Kirk Hammett! Metallica would have been nothing if it would not have been for his guitaring mind. Also, he helped write some good lyrics. And, I can't stress enough...SPEED! Think of the greats: Van Halen, Malmsteen, & Hammett. Also, commenting on the guy who said that jazz guitarists had been tapping on the neck befor EVH: you know nothing,clearly! Stanly Jorden was basically the only jazz guitarist to actually use the neck tapping, and he started in the 8o's...EVH started yeasrs befor that. And yes, Van Halen's first album came out in 1978, but he had to have started earlyer (ERUPTION DID NOT JUST PLAY ITS SELF!). Also, you r all fools! why? u ask, itis because you think people like van halen and malmsteen have no emotion in their music, they r just technically advanced...u know nothing! Have you ever watched EVH play erution in person or [bleep], even on film? no, so how can u say he has no emotion. You all r just washed up, seriously, do some reaserch! :rockon:

Oh my. Where to begin.

First of all,"neck tapping" is actually called "hammer-ons". And Edgar Winter's 'Frankenstein' has hammer-ons in it. AND, my misinformed friend, it came out 5 years before Eruption. So clearly, it is you that doesn't know what you're talking about.

Do some research, indeed.

But, then again, simply by stressing SPEED , you proved you don't have a clue about what a great guitarist is all about.

Oh, and also, Malmsteen is a one note wonder, who relies on six (count em', six) different little effects boxes on his foot board to give the illusion he's something special. He's ordinary. I stood 10 feet from him and watched this phenomenom in person, so I know what I'm talking about. He's all smoke and mirrors.

And finally, your grammar and spelling are both equally atrocious. Usually, that sort of thing is ignored, but since you decided to come in here with your six shooters drawn, I figured I'd let you know you aren't the quickest gun in here.

wow, it is to bad that all hendrix used was effect boxes! Seriously people, have u ever seen hendrix play purple haze or the star spangled banner? All he does is use effects! Also, eddie van halen himself calls his method neck tapping, not "hammer-ons". Also, what the hell w/ the speed thing! Anyone who has any idea how to play a guitar can play voodoo child as slow as pissible, but only people who are good can play voodoo child fast! so that gets rid of ur [bleep] idea of speed. so, therefore u know nothing! ask the people in this message board! Speed is the deciding factor between a good guitarist and an exellent guitarist! so [bleep] ur ideas! Also, i do know more about guitarists than anyone including u could fathom. If u r in here talking about stuff that is compeatly wrong (you), then u have no life. But if u actually know what u r talking about (me and some others in here), then u r just trying to educate those (you) who know nothing. and last, i did not say that erution was when EVH started NECK TAPPING as i said "Erution did not write itself, and u need more than 5 years expirence with neck tapping to build the god like song erution. And, who the [bleep] cares how i spell, get a life!

Van Halen out! :rockon:

Hey there dude, I'm wondering, do you even play an instrument? (let alone guitar) 'cuz if you did, then you would know that it is tone and expressiveness that seperates a good musician from an excellent musician, not speed. anyone can go and play a scale as fast as they can, but when you can play what you're playing with an excellent controlled sound, and with an expression in which people will feel connected to you, then you kick ass. I've played violin since I was three, and over all the years of playing I've become recognized as one of the best young violinists in ND, not because I can play fast (well I can, but that's not the reason) but when people hear me play, they recognize my style, it's played with a dark tone, and an incredibly expressive style (so I've been told) so if I'm playing something fast, people connect with me, if I'm playing at a slow tempo, people still connect and say "Hey, he's pretty _____in' good"

tempo means nothing(well it means something, but not that much).

:laughing: to vh's post!

wow, it is to bad that all hendrix used was effect boxes! Seriously people, have u ever seen hendrix play purple haze or the star spangled banner? All he does is use effects!

Have you seen him play? I saw a concert DVD of him, the only effects he really uses are fuzz and wah. The rest are just created by him and his guitar. And the wah actually takes skill to use, unlike most effect pedals.

Also, eddie van halen himself calls his method neck tapping, not "hammer-ons".

Yeah, but they are still the same thing, it doesn't matter what you call them.

Also, what the hell w/ the speed thing! Anyone who has any idea how to play a guitar can play voodoo child as slow as pissible, but only people who are good can play voodoo child fast! so that gets rid of ur [bleep] idea of speed. so, therefore u know nothing!

I half-way agree with you. I don't like the idea that if somebody is fast they have no emotion in their playing. But that dosen't mean that if someone is slow they have no emotion in their playing. Also, sure you can play voodoo child slow, but can you play it slow and still play it well? Also, sure we may know nothing about music, universally, but neither do you. Everyone's idea of good music is subjective.

ask the people in this message board! Speed is the deciding factor between a good guitarist and an exellent guitarist! so [bleep] ur ideas!

First, let me tell you that you're in for a big surprise if you stay around. Most people here would disagree with you. That having been said, I hope you do stay around anyways. Even if I disagree with just about everything you had to say in the last 2 posts you made, it's more fun here if there is someone who disagrees with everyone.

Also, there is not just one deciding factor between a good guitarist and an excellent guitarist. There are many things to consider when determining an excellent guitarist.

Also, i do know more about guitarists than anyone including u could fathom.

I usually do not jump to conclusions, but you did, so why not. Most of the people here probably know more about guitarists than you.

If u r in here talking about stuff that is compeatly wrong (you), then u have no life. But if u actually know what u r talking about (me and some others in here), then u r just trying to educate those (you) who know nothing.

Why don't noobs ever see the irony in saying someone on an internet forum has no life? Do they not realize that they too are on an internet forum? And what JR said is not 'completely wrong' as you say. It's correct information (about tapping).

and last, i did not say that erution was when EVH started NECK TAPPING as i said "Erution did not write itself, and u need more than 5 years expirence with neck tapping to build the god like song erution.

Five years? I learned the tapping part within my first 3 months of guitar playing. I agree though, that it would probably take a long time to create. But wouldn't it have taken an equally long time for Edgar Winter to make "Frankenstein?"

And, who the [bleep] cares how i spell, get a life!

Well, if you make typos, thats one thing, but if the entire thing has terrible grammar and spelling, then appear to everyone else as a complete dumbass, and your post loses lots of credibility. Heres a suggestion, check your typing, use good grammar, and people will take your posts seriously.

wow, it is to bad that all hendrix used was effect boxes! Seriously people, have u ever seen hendrix play purple haze or the star spangled banner? All he does is use effects! Also, eddie van halen himself calls his method neck tapping, not "hammer-ons". Also, what the hell w/ the speed thing! Anyone who has any idea how to play a guitar can play voodoo child as slow as pissible, but only people who are good can play voodoo child fast! so that gets rid of ur [bleep] idea of speed. so, therefore u know nothing! ask the people in this message board! Speed is the deciding factor between a good guitarist and an exellent guitarist! so [bleep] ur ideas! Also, i do know more about guitarists than anyone including u could fathom. If u r in here talking about stuff that is compeatly wrong (you), then u have no life. But if u actually know what u r talking about (me and some others in here), then u r just trying to educate those (you) who know nothing. and last, i did not say that erution was when EVH started NECK TAPPING as i said "Erution did not write itself, and u need more than 5 years expirence with neck tapping to build the god like song erution. And, who the [bleep] cares how i spell, get a life!

Here's a quote from Dave Mustaine, that says it all..."David Glimour can say more in three or four notes than Yngwie Malmsteen can say in 100, but at least they're both speaking."

IMO Yngwie doesn't have the same "respect" for the guitar that Jimi did or for that matter most of the guitar lengends. I mean come on have you even seen him play in concert?! He's a parody of him self. Just because he can play fast doesn't mean sh**, I rather hear BB King play 2 notes than hear Yngwie play 50. Since it seems you know so much about guitar playing then I'm sure you heard of something called PROGRESSION in a persons music. Yngwie's first ablum doesn't sound any differant than his 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc ablums. About what you said about Voodoo Child and playing it fast, I heard and saw it played fast by G3(Vai, Satriani and Yngwie) to tell you the truth it sucked a** and wasn't any better than the way Jimi played it. So there goes your theory.

Now on to EVH, I think he's a lot better than Yngwie for the reason that he still has respect for the guitar. But he can not make a riff for sh**(except for Little Dreamer.)

Now if you like fast guitar players I would go with Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani.

I'm wondering the same thing that scott is...Do you play an instrument?

I disagree about as much as one can that it is speed that determines skill. You can have your Van Halen; in my opinion, a song can be really fast and make you go "Wow, cool!" but it just doesn't have a soul...Doesn't have anything you can really latch on to.

I'll probably take some heat for saying that, but oh well. Speed is a trend, but it isn't what music should be about.

VH

Slow though I am to anger...and suspicious I am of a wind up, I never thought I would find such a dork so annoying. You clearly know

a) Diddly squat

and are

B An [bleep]

You will eventually grow up and be ashamed of your ignorant mewlings (I hope).

EVH is an awesome guitarist..but, he did not invent tapping (he took it to new heights) and he is somwhere way down the line (maybe in the top 20) of 'top guitarists'

JMH (and considered) opinion.

:guitar:

(PS and I can play a bit)

Hey, another quote from VH! Let me deconstruct this one, as I did with one of your other posts, because that was really fun for me.

also, i have been hearing people talk about how faster does not = better, but this is untrue! It all depends on how loud (or fast) you can take it.

It all depends on speed and volume? You know how I said that nobody can know much about music? Well that comment has just prooved me wrong. I now realize I know much more about music then you could ever hope to, if you keep thinking this way.

First of all, speed is incredibly easy to get. You just practice playing scales over and over again, or you turn up the gain effect and do tapping.

Second of all, volume is even easier to get. Just turn the little knob to 10 (or 11;)) and you've got volume.

Such as, i would rather listen to EVH on Eruption than listen to hendrix on voodoo child simply because eruption is better!

all I can say about that is, no it isn't.

think about it, erution is basically (in skill level) just a much faster voodoo child, therefore it is harder to play eruption than voodoo child

First of all, they are completely different. They share nothing in common except that beginner guitarists dream of someday being able to play them.

Second of all, on a technical skill level, Voodoo Child is much harder to play than eruption. I'm not talking about riffs, I'm talking about the whole songs.

....Guitarests should not be mesured on melodic levels.....

yes they should

enyone can have a melodic beat (they are called back ups or rythem guitarests), but not everyone can play super fast.

wrong again! Anyone can play super fast, with a little practice. But not everyone can play with a melodic beat.

Guitarests should be mesured on how hard the lick is. e.x. B.B. King is a great gutarist because even in his slower blues songs (e.x. Sweet Sixteen) he has blazing fast speed compared to most people even on a slower song!

I have nothing to say about this except repeating speed isn't everything. And speed isn't what makes BB King great.

EVH is a great guitarist, don't get me wrong, but musically, he isn't at the same level as say, Hendrix. Playing a scale at lightning speed, thats easy. Creating an awesome riff, that's hard. EVH did create some awesome riffs though ('hot for teacher' and 'everybody wants some' are great riffs). To summarize it, I'd think of Hendrix as the original Star Wars, and EVH as the new Star Wars. The old have some amazing special effects, and also has a great story. The new ones rely on special effects. Hendrix does some fancy things, but has great musical ability too. EVH usually relies on being flashy.

Oh and to everyone asking if VH is a guitarist or any kind of instrumentalist, my guess, is that he is a beginning guitarist.