Who is (or was) the worlds best guitarist?

Jillianne

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, Justin King's really cool. Sad though that all I know about him is that video. I have a couple thoughts...

Jimi Hendrix - Most innovative and groundbreaking does not necessarily mean greatest

Yngwie Malmsteen - Personally, I'm glad he was mentioned, but being freakishly fast does not necessarily mean greatest

Eddie Van Halen - great, but not the greatest

Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are really cool.

John Petrucci (Dream Theater) was not mentioned.

My pick:

Jimmy Page

Eric Clapton

Al Dimeola

Santana

A simple answer:

Jimi Hendrix IS the greatest, an inrrefutable fact. If you need reassurance, then listen to Machine Gun on the Band of Gypys album. He is a major influence on every guitarist that came after him, directly or indirectly. His powerful, astonishing rendtion of the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock is breathtaking, completely putting ANY guitar player to shame. He gave passion for music a new meaning. He became famous simply because of his talented, skillful, and ingenious mastery of the instument and deserves every ounce of respect given. Anyone who doesn't recognize this is ignorant.

A simple answer:

Jimi Hendrix IS the greatest, an inrrefutable fact. If you need reassurance, then listen to Machine Gun on the Band of Gypys album. He is a major influence on every guitarist that came after him, directly or indirectly. His powerful, astonishing rendtion of the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock is breathtaking, completely putting ANY guitar player to shame. He gave passion for music a new meaning. He became famous simply because of his talented, skillful, and ingenious mastery of the instument and deserves every ounce of respect given. Anyone who doesn't recognize this is ignorant.

:rockon:

he he he i withdraw my statment about him being the greatest ... i listened to it and studied it quite abit today... and i figured it out start to finish im missing about 4 notes durring the 2 hand tapping part but its really almost not as hard as it sounds.. not to say its amature but meh definetly not as pro as some stuff.. still its an ace up my sleeve for only when i need it to show up but never to show off .. if you studie it its not as hard but he plays with so much expression you really cant go by how it looks only how it sounds.; my bad it his name was justin king i found his website and he has 30 second apatizers for his solo album but i think it just might be worth buying from what i heard . and as for the comment i had about sticking around i only joined this comunity for this forum particuarly but ill defenetly stick.. but iv had to much to drikn and i think i need to go to bed.. p-sout :guitar: :bow: www.justinking.com .. i think :: oh and PSSST... the i had to figure the tuning out by a upstroke i heard him do at the begining the tuning is D-A-D-G-a-d lol its a tuning commonly used in funk i found just thought i might give u guys a heads up if u where thinking of learning it :) peice

• 2 weeks later...

A slight twist on the "Best" theme if your considering influential guitarists I would have to give the nod to Django Reinhardt who probably did the most to introduce the guitar as a solo instrument and not just for chord accompaniment. The other artist would have to be Les Paul for his inventiveness not only with developing the electric guitar but also multi-track recording. Without Les guys like Hendrix and Clapton may have ended up as clarinet players!

I´ve been listening "Exile on Main Street" the other night at a friend´s place... then "Goat´s Head Soup"... and I still believe that Mick taylor is my top guitar man... I also like Clapton, Santana, Beck and others, but my feelings go with Taylor.

• 2 weeks later...

Its really very unfair question. I'd say that John Petrucci above all ... you guys obviously haven't heard him play Dreamtheater. Although I'd understand you are not into progressive metal. If you'd like to broaden your musical spectrum I suggest you listen to it. I think this guy is the most talented. I think we should open forums for different genres.