What is your one favourite band of all time?

Jillianne

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes perfect sense. I'm glad you like the Rite of Spring. Actually, I'll remind you that my education is mostly jazz based, so I don't claim to understand 20th century classical music too well, especially on that level. But that's not the point. Also, a lot of those words weren't mine, so I'm not that elequent. I often write some dreadful prose, actually.

I think feeling is the most important part of music. I put in those descriptions because I don't like music criticism that judges any music that is sincere in positive or negative terms. There is a lot of music critisism that judges the 'quality' of music. I try not to do that. Having training causes musicians to hear things differently, but that's important only because it can help you create music.

Those words I pasted in don't judge the music and I really thought they captured the intesity of The Rite well. "an earthquake of primal rhythms" - I love that.

Also, having some education causes me to enjoy discussing the craft, because I write some music and everything I hear influences that to some degree, but that's not the point. I don't think having formal music education makes me appreciate any more than anyone else. It probably exposed me to more variety, but that's all.

I think what you said is the most important part - it's what you feel and that can be different each time you listen to it. You can definitely feel "The Rite of Spring", right? I think I'll put it on now.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thankyou Edna (for not making a nasty comment about how 15 year olds aren't supposed to read Tolstoy)

I admire 15 years olds who love the Beatles and read Tolstoy! :cool: I woulnd´t mind if they loved hip-hop as long as they can read a good book... :thumbsup:

Actually, in my family people read Tolstoy and other hard stuff at 15 too...

Why in the world have I never answered this?

Favorite Band? So easy. The Magnificent Rolling Stones.

Favorite Song? Totally impossible. It could be whatever I'm listening to. It's the song that tugs my heart, makes me smile, makes me cry, or takes me to another place. ;)

I'll put 15 of my fave bands down, and 3 of my fave songs by them, just so people here can get a taste of my music taste.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Time.

Guns N' Roses - Civil War, Ain't It Fun, Paradise City.

Eric Clapton - Badge, Wonderful Tonight, Sunshine Of Your Love.

David Bowie - Space Oddity, Let's Dance, Starman.

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand, Stairway To Heaven, Trampled Underfoot.

U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name, Pride (In The Name Of Love), With Or Without You.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's Gone, Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama.

AC/DC - Shoot To Thrill, Back In Black, Thunderstruck.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge, Californication, Tell Me Baby.

Muse - Knights Of Cydonia, Bliss, Starlight.

Eagles - Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane, Desperado.

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight, Disarm, Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.

Bryan Adams - Heaven, Remember, Summer of '69.

Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat, Cowboy Song, Jailbreak.

Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere, Don't Stop, Rhiannon.

I apologise if that is too much.