Pirates of the Caribbean

Mike

Pirates of the Caribbean - Songfacts

POTC.jpg

Dead men may tell no tales, but Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean have been entertaining millions of people with their salty tales. A landmark achievement in theme park storytelling when it debuted in the year 1967, Pirates remains one of Disney's--and all of the amusement park worlds--most beloved attractions. First time visitors and those returning with nostalgic memories alike adore its timeless tales and perfect presentation.

Pirates of the Caribbean may be the quintessential theme park attraction. It is a masterful blend of fanciful storytelling and high-tech wizardry, but the one never overshadows the other. The robotics, special effects, conveyance system, music, and other elements meld seamlessly to sweep guests away into a mythical, three-dimensional pirate world.

The experience varies slightly depending on the park. The original Disneyland version, personally overseen by Walt, has an extended "grotto" sequence at the beginning of the attraction. This is where the coveted treasure lies. Also unique to California, Pirates resides in the New Orleans Square area, and its boats drift past diners in the enchanting Blue Bayou restaurant. (Epcot's Mexico pavilion uses a similar concept with its restaurant and boat-conveyed attraction.) In Paris, the boats go up a ramp to begin the attraction and deliver the splashdown as a finale.

Pirates of the Caribbean (California) vital statistics: Opening Day: March 18, 1967 Ride Time: 14.5 minutes Capacity: 3,400 guests per hour, Audio-Animatronic figures: 66 pirates and villages, 57 animals and birds. Amount of water: 750,000 gallons, main lift pumps (2 operating): 20,000 gallons circulated per minute (maximum) 18,000 gallons circulated per minute (maximum).

First drop: Length - 52 feet angle - 21 degrees, Second drop:

Length - 37 feet, angle - 21 degrees. Lift: Length - 90 feet angle, - 16 degrees. Structural data: Number of buildings: 2, Number of levels: 3 (Blue Bayou, upper caverns, and basement). Maximum height of ceiling: 40 feet

• 2 months later...

Every time I go to Disneyland, it's tradition to ride the Pirates first... and last, just before leaving. :grin: I can remember my son being really scared the first time he went on it and snuggled up to me real close. But the second time (just before we left that night) he was a "big man" and sat all the way on the side of the boat opposite me.

they filmed bits in different places but most of it was done in some place up northish near hamilton...which is near auckland. and lots in wellington. weta workshops...which is where all the special effects and stuff was done is in wellington

Every time I go to Disneyland, it's tradition to ride the Pirates first... and last, just before leaving. :grin: I can remember my son being really scared the first time he went on it and snuggled up to me real close. But the second time (just before we left that night) he was a "big man" and sat all the way on the side of the boat opposite me.

Yep, us too. It's the opening and closing to every trip. It's one of those timeless places in Disneyland, like Tom Sawyer island and main street, where you just can squint your eyes and see anytime period in the last 50 years!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...