Rockism: Good or Bad?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what rockism is, but here's my two cents on what I think it might be.

I hate how everyone is always bashing prog because it isn't real rock. Who gives a s*** if it's rock or not? It's good music, and that's all that matters.

I have no idea what rockism is, but here's my two cents on what I think it might be.

I hate how everyone is always bashing prog because it isn't real rock. Who gives a s*** if it's rock or not? It's good music, and that's all that matters.

Woo! Fight those people who do that!

Bazooka, music is music. Some of the best concerts of my youth were ELP, Yes, Weather Report, Tull.

You talkin' to me?

yttm.jpg

It's all good.

As if I didn't know that

As if I didn't know my own bed

As if I'd never noticed

The way she brushed her hair from her forehead

And she said losing love

Is like a window in your heart

Everybody sees you're blown apart

Everybody sees the wind blow

I'm going to Graceland

Memphis Tennessee

I'm going to Graceland

Poorboys and Pilgrims with families

And we are going to Graceland ~ Paul Simon

Oh, it's all clear to me now *

Phil, you meant to address Batman, and inadvertently said bazooka.

Easy to understand the slip now that the bazooka Fan Club has started to take off and is on everybody's mind.

--------------------------------------

*Well, I think it's time to get ready

To realize just what I have found

I have lived only half of what I am

It's all clear to me now

My heart is on fire

My soul's like a wheel that's turnin'

My love is alive

My love is alive, yeah .. yeah .. yeah ~ Gary Wright

Edited by Guest
minimum daily requirement of lyrical interludes

As if I didn't know that

As if I didn't know my own bed

As if I'd never noticed

The way she brushed her hair from her forehead

And she said losing love

Is like a window in your heart

Everybody sees you're blown apart

Everybody sees the wind blow

I'm going to Graceland

Memphis Tennessee

I'm going to Graceland

Poorboys and Pilgrims with families

And we are going to Graceland ~ Paul Simon

i can't believe you quoted that song - i'm on such a graceland buzz at the moment. i just heard it randomly on the radio the other day and remembered how gorgeous the words are!

• 2 weeks later...

If rockism is what I think it is, it's a little silly. It's being biased in favor of rock, right? The stereotypical rockist is strange. I know some rockists who think the epitome of emotion in music is Robert Plant pretending to have an orgasm.

I recieved a book for Christmas. It's written by two men, one a working critic, the other an ex. The book is written in a tongue in cheek manner, and deals with how to talk/deal with peole who are rockists/or as they call it "rock snobs". It's entertaining, and informatuive by turn. There is a quote on the cover which is applicable here.

Rock Snob(Rockist): reference term for the sort of pop connoisseur for whom the actual enjoyment of music is but a side dish to the accumulation of arcane knowledge about it.

I think in real terms it means "clean out your ears and listen".

I've read that Rock Snob book too--its pretty good imo. A Rock Snob and a Rockists arent quite the same. A rockists is just someone who really loves Rock Music. A Rock Snob is someone who thinks its cool to know alot about Rock Music.

And Rockism is something else entirely. To put it as simple as possible, Rockism is the process of seperating quality music from crappy music. Because the term was first coined in the early 80s, when Rock appeared to be on the downslide--at east in the Mainstream music Industry--its definiton is too often associated with the Rock music that the Rockists who were talking about Rockism at that time referenced the most; led zeppelin, the Bealtes, bob dylan, bruce springsteen, neil young, the clash, etc. Over the last 20 years however several new bands/new sounds have entered the grand Rock narrative; nirvana, smashign pumpkins, pearl jam, liz phair, pavement, the strokes, radiohead, etc.

The thing about Rockism that gets some people's goat is that the standards for which quality is measured (according to Rockism)is founded on the hieght of the Rock era (roughly 1967 to 1976). These standards have changed over the past 20 years or so however. Kurt Cobain was one of the greatest harbingers of change in that time period. Cobain touted Grrlll Rock, he bashed homophobes, and he touted small unheard of Indie bands (Although others like Lennon had done some of these things prior to Cobain).

Another major change over the last 20 years has been the decline of the protest song or the anti-government song. The reason for this may have to do with all the Farm AId/World Aid, etc stuff from the 80s that made these millionaire rock stars in wigs and makeup and limos who sung about the plight of the poor and weak look rather silly.

A Rock Snob is someone who thinks its cool to know alot about Rock Music.

This whole time have you not been talking about Rockists learning everything they can about technique, influence, etc.? And are you not a Rockist? I see no difference.

these millionaire rock stars in wigs and makeup and limos who sung about the plight of the poor and weak look rather silly.

Everyone you mentioned above - Springsteen, The Clash, Nirvana, Pavement, etc. - are millionaire rock stars with limos. Why do they get a free pass?

A Rock Snob is someone who thinks its cool to know alot about Rock Music.

This whole time have you not been talking about Rockists learning everything they can about technique, influence, etc.? And are you not a Rockist? I see no difference.

these millionaire rock stars in wigs and makeup and limos who sung about the plight of the poor and weak look rather silly.

Everyone you mentioned above - Springsteen, The Clash, Nirvana, Pavement, etc. - are millionaire rock stars with limos. Why do they get a free pass?

Being a millionaire doesnt automatically make you shallow. But someone like madonna or Milli vanilli or WHam who spend thousands of dollars on wardrobe, hours in front of a mirror putting on makeup and wigs, have assistance who do everythign from peel their bananas to clean thier poodles toenails have no right to tell me that I should donate $100 to whatever their cause of the month is...

I would never have thought we would ever have anything in common. But....

I've read that Rock Snob book too--its pretty good imo. A Rock Snob and a Rockists arent quite the same. A rockists is just someone who really loves Rock Music. A Rock Snob is someone who thinks its cool to know alot about Rock Music.

and....you fall into which category? I think you'd like to be in the former, but the rest of your post seems to prove you to be in the latter.

I loved the book. There are a couple of groups that I consider myself pretty snobbish about (no, not the Stones). I am not a snob, or a rockist. Most probably consider me pretty lightweight. I love music, pure and simple. I don't mean this the way it may sound, Mr PaulEdwardWagemann, but I don't think I've read a single post of yours that shows you actually even like music. Let alone LOVE rock music. It seems to be all about that "arcane knowledge". I'd like to hear a positive comment on anything having to do with music or the artists that make it, from you!

No nothing at all! I just wanted to hear something positive. He says he loves it. I don't find that in his posts. As I said, we've read the same book. We probably have some of the same ideas. I love knowing and learning "about the music". I just don't feel the need to cram it down anyone's throat.

I don't mean to be mean. :)

Is there anything wrong with knowing a lot about the music? I mean, we're all on songfacts for a reason.

I was thinking about this myself too. I used to know quite a lot about music (well, that was before I lost my memory :grin:), in fact I worked twenty five years thanks to that.