Rockism: Good or Bad?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not about to tell me that was really johnnyguitar, are you??! :o

I wouldn't put it past that slippery so-and-so....

I was actually referring to his real character and qualities as a person (and it would have helped if I was actually clear in my post!!)...but your comments make me wonder.....

Paul, I recall when I first broke into cyberland and would visit sites where the community seemed tight and all contributors seemed to know one another; I would feel out of place and alienated, which in turn caused me to marginalize the individual talent that made up those communities. Expressing that an entire group of diverse, rational, intelligent people (all of whom meet as a result of shared interest) have a problem, is a hallmark of misunderstanding. I have been here almost two years now; you, two weeks. Take my word as a decent author and a pretty bright guy, I have read the posts of only one sheep on this site, since I have been at intercourse here. There are some complexly and deeply intelligent contributors actively participating here, as well as many with a profound amount of common sense and experiential wisdom. I would say that despite my self-evaluation of being "bright," that I am about 30th to 40th on the depth chart of the regular contributors to Songfacts. I am extremely discerning about where I invest my time on the internet due to a full schedule and the self-discipline required while being a private contractor. That said. I contribute to only two other internet sites with the frequency given to this one; and both of those are international photography sites (my second career.)

To suggest there is even one lost sheep following blindly behind a monied leader - I assume that is "corporate" in your venacular - is perhaps the result of blind fury from a feeling of not being a part of this community (although I really feel you could be.) In addition to being individualistic and sharp, the people here are VERY friendly and welcoming. Perhaps moreso than most sites on the internet. You would do well to harken the responses here with the same fervor with which you seem to assimilate and validate the information you quote from other outside sources; and then add just a pinch of humility. Consider that your quoted sources privately scratch themselves in odd places just as the folks here do. Subjectivity is cool, but not imperical. Folks is folks - and you have found a rich vein to mine whether you have a serious interest in music or just a love affair with your soul.

I am going to buck the trend by saying that we need more disagreement here - and whether the post was meant in seriousness or not it certainly provoked a response. Its what maintains interest and should be encoraged IMO.

Please don't spit the dummy just yet!

i agree diggs, things get very boring around here without a bit of debate! i'm not a big fan of personal insults though (and they don't go down too well with the moderators either!) but certainly, a bit of lively discussion is very important!

i agree diggs, things get very boring around here without a bit of debate! i'm not a big fan of personal insults though (and they don't go down too well with the moderators either!) but certainly, a bit of lively discussion is very important!

Actually I wasnt insulting any one person personally. I was using the universal 'you'...

You folks here seem fairly nice, I was just expecting a little more debate/arguement and not so many filppant wise cracks--not that I mind the wisecracks, in fact I enjoyed them, but that seems like the only response I was getting.

I think this forum is probably the wrong place to look for the kind of discussion I was hoping for. There's other forum's that suit the kind of discussion I was hoping for better, so I'll be better off to kick around there...

bazooka keeps forgetting how old he is. I think my covert wisecrack was probably hella invisible to the Songfacts younguns.

So: After losing the California gubernatorial election in 1962, Richard Milhouse Nixon told reporters, at a press conference: "You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference."

He became US President in 1968.

nixonspeech.jpg

Actually I wasnt insulting any one person personally. I was using the universal 'you'...

You folks here seem fairly nice, I was just expecting a little more debate/arguement and not so many filppant wise cracks--not that I mind the wisecracks, in fact I enjoyed them, but that seems like the only response I was getting.

I think this forum is probably the wrong place to look for the kind of discussion I was hoping for. There's other forum's that suit the kind of discussion I was hoping for better, so I'll be better off to kick around there...

I believe you did refer to us as lacking substance, to paraphrase. I'm not sure what kind of discussion you were hoping for, and I'm sorry you didn't find it here. No one here is afraid of discussion, but people don't typically like to be baited into talking about something they're unfamiliar with. I suggest in the future you give people a little more info straight off the bat.