Rockism: Good or Bad?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I interpret the meaning of "rockism" and "Rockist" correctly:long hair, drugs etc. everything associated with it.

I don't believe in any of it, it is bad. You either like/play the music and are good at it or you don't. Long hair doesn't signifie "I'm an amazing drummer/guitarist/singer etc". And people who think it does obviously have no idea what rock and roll is all about.It's about having a good time, and if you like long hair you might have it, but there have been plenty of rock and roll stars with short hair.

I have no idea whether this is what you were looking for in this conversation, but ther's my 2 cents.

I have read over this thread and I am happy to see that I am not the only one who gets confused as the thread goes on...I can't really comment on the issue of topic because I am so lost. :confused:

Even twenty years after the Corporate take over of Rock Music, Rock remains the default option for most opinion-makers (magazines especially) and the way they talk about and view music. I point this out, because it goes to show Rock's grip on the "grand narrative" of Music. This grand narrative has been structured over the years through books, newspapers, magazines, conversations etc that all began with the critical observation of Dylan and the Beatles. From there it has evolved into an accepted wisdom and language that is commonly referred to as Rockism.

Edited by Guest

Um, music in general has been "corporate" for well longer than 20 years. And "critical observation" has been around since just a bit before Dylan...

I love how you refer to personal opinion as "wisdom", though. :thumbup:

Remember though we are talking about Rock music. During the 60's Rock was considered the music of the counter-culture--not music for the corporte culture. Also there may have been some 'critical observation' of Rock music before Dylan and the beatles but it has had little impact on the grand narration of Rockism.

I have to say this, I keep reading what everyone is posting and it's music folks. Something that can touch your soul, break your heart, make you smile, make you cry, or just laugh and dance. I don't want it explained to me, I have been doing fine for a very long time listening and feeling what I feel when the music plays. Can't music be something we don't have to put into label, like "rockism"??

I have to say this, I keep reading what everyone is posting and it's music folks. Something that can touch your soul, break your heart, make you smile, make you cry, or just laugh and dance. I don't want it explained to me, I have been doing fine for a very long time listening and feeling what I feel when the music plays. Can't music be something we don't have to put into label, like "rockism"??

Thank You April. MUSIC IS. If you want to narrow it further, ROCK IS. I suppose it depends on how your mind works, but some things don't need to be, nor shouldn't be, analyzed to death. Of course this is only my opinion, and I'm a more emotional person than analytical, but I kind of like things that way.

I'm no muppet and no brain sturgeon either, but the logic is beginning to blur for me too. Its sounding more and more like an invention of critics to describe something intangible and add justification to their existence...

Do we really need more critics in this world?

So what's the deal with this site? Why isn't anyone here interested in Rockism? Is this just a site for mindless Pop Culture consumers to come and make lists of their ten favorite Pop songs or gossip about a pop stars personal life? Rock music has alot to offer. It has a lot of meaning beyond the toe-tapping affect it has on corporate automatons as they slave their way through another corporate workday...If you can't dig beyond the superfical surface of the pop culture and try to really understand what is going on in this country, then I guess you deserve your fate as mindless sheep that are led about by your corporate masters...I for one, was hoping to find a little something more substancial here, but it seems obvious I have come to the wrong place...

...and I'm not talking about he CIA killed John Lennon thread I started--that was just a joke and a way to test the waters here...

I think that this thread did generate a lot of interest and discussion. If you read everyone's responses, you would see that a lot of people were trying to understand what you were talking about and gave their opinions

There are lots of people on this site who have extensive musical knowledge, if you care to find out. I learn a lot here every single day, and that is what I came here for.

If you can't dig beyond the superfical surface of the pop culture and try to really understand what is going on in this country, then I guess you deserve your fate as mindless sheep that are led about by your corporate masters

If this is the "attitude" of a rockist, then you can keep it.

116 replies doesn't indicate interest to you? 116 replies on something most people have not heard of?

Mindless sheep led about by your corporate masters. That's profound, there. Did you read that on a blog?

You come in here, posting about a topic most people could care less about and then complain one day later that no one has responded to your ungodly vague introduction. And then a long, detailed discussion ensues and that's not good enough for you.

Okay, you are right about everything. Rockism is the greatest movement ever started, and we are all better for being enlightened about it. Is that more substantial, and more to your liking? For a non-conformist you sure seem to be craving a unanimous opinion about this.

I think that if you came with a ' i'm just joking - so I'll test the waters here with a screwy John Lennon conspiracy thread ' - you got what you put in - so... Too-DA -loo !

The best thing you did was show yourself as one not to be rattled and gave us something curious to debate... don't be a stranger ! :)

At what point did you want to be taken seriously? After listing your occupation as "foole"? After starting a joke thread?

Despite this, I thought the majority of responses were at least trying to understand what rockism and you were all about.

I didn't chime in until today because, quite frankly, I didn't care about the topic. But anything that SongFacts regulars make this kind of effort to participate in had enough merit to read.

For you to dismiss the whole of SongFacts as something below your standards is flat out dumb. You need to learn how to win friends and influence people...hint: insults don't work.

Nothing like making your first impression with a thud! Everyone on this site has opinions to express daily, and we learn from each other. Some may have better knowledge than others, but that is what is so cool about coming here, to find out what someone is thinking. As stated in this thread most had not even heard of your "rockism", so be thrilled you had as many replies as you did! We are not sheep being led around, please, any person with intelligence could see that here on SongFacts.

PEW (quite fitting, actually), if you have an original thought we'd love to have you share it.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

...and I'm not talking about he CIA killed John Lennon thread I started--that was just a joke and a way to test the waters here...

Then it must have been Yoko... Rockism, Bagism...