Favorite Silent Movies

Batman

I haven't seen that many, but I really enjoyed "Faust" and "Nosferatu." Well...the problem with both of them is that around the middle they ran out of steam. But they're really dark and great. They've scared me away from ever going to Germany.

I've seen a few silent comedies (Buster Keaton and stuff like that) but I didn't like them so much.

To be honest, I don't like silent films. I've tried watching them loads of times but never been able to get into them. Oh well.

Anyway, for films which are in a similar style to the old silent ones, check out a few Guy Maddin films, if you can get hold of them. In particular I'd strongly recommend Tales from the Gimli Hospital, a bizarre, surreal independant film which is well worth seeing.

Carl Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr is another horror masterpiece which is quite similar to silent films (and with good reason, I suppose, since it was made in the 30's).

Then there's the superb Begotten, by E. Elias Merhige. It was made in the 90's and although it has a soundtrack there's no dialogue. Visually, it's one of the most stunning films ever created - according to several sites between eight to ten hours of optical work was required for one minute of film. It's pretty damn creepy, too. People do complain that it gets repetitive but it never bothered me and it's only about 80 minutes long. Unfortunately, depsite the fact this is an brilliant work of art it's very obscure and you'll probably have trouble getting hold of it for a reasonable price.

Have you seen Herzog's remake of Nostferatu? A great film by a genius of cinema.

Edited by Guest

I am surprised that Hollywood has not resurrected this genre of film. There is enough of an audience to warrant risking a budget on one. My favorite silent film remains Nosferatu. Awesome.

Ken.

I am surprised that Hollywood has not resurrected this genre of film. There is enough of an audience to warrant risking a budget on one. My favorite silent film remains Nosferatu. Awesome.

Ken.

At least make them available on DVD!

The Great Train Robbery gets my vote.

All of Chaplin's work:

He did 36 folms in 1914...one every 10 days!

On Screen Appearances

Countess From Hong Kong, A

King in New York, A

Limelight

Monsieur Verdoux

Great Dictator, The

Modern Times

City Lights

Circus, The

Show People

Gold Rush, The

Hollywood

Pilgrim, The

Souls For Sale

Woman in Paris, A

Pay Day

Idle Class, The

Kid, The

Nut, The

Day's Pleasure, A

Sunnyside

Bond, The

Dog's Life, A

Shoulder Arms

Triple Trouble

Adventurer, The

Cure, The

Easy Street

Immigrant, The

Behind the Screen

Carmen

Count, The

Fireman, The

Floorwalker, The

One A.M.

Pawnshop

Police

Rink, The

Vagabond, The

Bank, The

By the Sea

Champion, The

His New Job

His Regeneration

Hot Finish

In the Park

Jitney Elopment, A

Night in the Show, A

Night Out, A

Shanghaied

Tramp, The

Woman, A

Work

Between Showers

Busy Day, A

Caught in a Cabaret

Caught in the Rain

Cruel, Cruel Love

Dough and Dynamite

Face on the Bar-room Floor

Fatal Mallet, The

Film Johnnie, A

Gentlemen of Nerve

Getting Acquainted

Her Friend the Bandit

His Favorite Pastime

His Musical Career

His New Profession

His Prehistoric Past

His Trysting Place

Kid Auto Races at Venice

Knockout, The

Laughing Gas

Mabel at the Wheel

Mabel's Busy Day

Mabel's Married Life

Mabel's Strange Predicament

Making a Living

Masquerader, The

New Janitor, The

Property Man, The

Recreation

Rival Mashers, The

Rounders, The

Star Boarder, The

Tango Tangles

Those Love Pangs

Tillie's Punctured Romance

Twenty Minutes of Love

Joe, have you been reading your Oscar Wilde recently? Your being even wittier than usual and that's saying something, Unk...

Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die.

Wilde, O.

I just watched "Tonight, Tonight" by the Smashing Pumpkins. That video was inspired by Le Voyage dans la lune (A Trip to the Moon), a Science-Fiction movie from 1902(!). It was written, produced and directed by Georges Méliès, a former magician. Of course he also played the lead...

Edited by Guest

• 3 years later...