Stoner Music???

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy, I remember the term acid rock, we used it a lot when I was a teen. But for some reason listeners of the station I work at are calling it stoner music, probably because they are still stoned from the 70's. I did drop acid and it did make the music more interesting to say the least. From what I remember...glad those days are gone, so I can really enjoy the music and remember it! :grin:

Edna...now that is wild! The first time I dropped acid my friend and I did it after school right before we got on the bus, I was spending the night at her house, and we both thought that the bus was flying in the sky. We spend the night in her room listening to everything from her parents country music to the Beatles, very strange.

In 1971 or so, I recall the term "head music" and those that got stoned were termed "heads" (short for pothead) or "freaks." Head music was thought to contain something akin to a secret coded message that one might not hear if listened to straight. Silly now that I write that and read it back.

I like the latest term for doing pot that I heard; "Getting Stupid." To those among the SF family that still imbibe: I mean that in the best possible way.

I like the latest term for doing pot that I heard; "Getting Stupid." To those among the SF family that still imbibe: I mean that in the best possible way.

:laughing: :laughing: I only imbibe when I go to bed at night... I get so stupid that I´d better sleep till tomorrow...

;)

In 1971 or so, I recall the term "head music" and those that got stoned were termed "heads" (short for pothead) or "freaks." Head music was thought to contain something akin to a secret coded message that one might not hear if listened to straight. Silly now that I write that and read it back.

Ron, that is something I had never heard before. Always learning new stuff. When I was in high school it was "stoners" or "hoods" for the dopers. And the music was acid rock or just rock and roll. Your term is cool, I am going to ask some friends I know if they heard it back then.

Jane, we called them heads back in high school, too. Have you ever been to a head shop? They sell all of the pot related paraphanalia, but I loved them because of the groovy clothes and jewelry.

Well this is Ohio and we are a bit behind the times! :) And that is the same reason I went to head shops Peachy...the clothes and jewelry, at least that is what I told Mom! :grin: :beatnik:

We had them in the record stores too and for a time there were head shops in a lot of matress stores. Guess the theme all goes together if you think about it. Last time I was in a head shop was 4 years ago down in Tampa, I went with my brother, it was one that Tommy Chong had part ownership in, it was pretty cool!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

:laughing: :laughing: I only imbibe when I go to bed at night... I get so stupid that I´d better sleep till tomorrow...

;)

Reminds me of a Steve Martin riff.....

"Oh, I used to smoke marijuana. But I'll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening - or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early midafternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . . But never at dusk."

Not even LSD could make Tool sound good, that is unless you are passed out and can't hear the music at all!

:D :beatnik:

I enjoy Tool's music just as much (or maybe more) as Pink Floyd's (et al)

... meaning I probably couldn't sit through a whole album in one session ;)

but (geek that I am) I truly admire the technical skills that it takes to compose, conduct and play such music (where else can you find 12/8 timing?)

also, check out Lateralus...

I wish I could say I discovered that by myself, but I needed Songfacts for that :grin:

(Fibonacci numbers are quite important in Computer Science and other natural sciences)

Farin, you're a brave young man. :D

The station I use to work at was classic rock and new rock and all us DJ's would cringe when Tool showed up in our show. But we all have our taste in music. I forget the song that was so popular back then 2001 or 2002 but it was one I didn't enjoy playing in my show.

^ "Schism" probably... that's the one with the strange time signature ;)

and don't get me wrong, I'm not really a fan of Tool (because I'm not a real fan of Prog Rock), but there are a couple of their songs that I'm quite fond of (just like Pink Floyd)

but on the other hand I wouldn't go to one of their concerts, or listen to a whole album in it's entirety (just like Pink Floyd)

:grin: