Stoner Music???

I think of Jefferson Airplane, too....maybe it's just White Rabbit

They always sung about drugs, sex, revolution... and their music is quite good to let your mind fly. We used to listen a lot to JA, King Crimson, Santana, Pink Floyd, some Deep Purple, Stones (Mick taylor years), Janis& Bigbrother, Quicksilver MS...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of stoner music the other night when I was on the set of the Marshall movie they were using a somke machine to produce an effect in the movie theater. I got cracked up when I overheard one of the camera guys say that he felt like he was watching a scene from that infamous old classic, "Reefer Madness".

rtstuff

smoked in Huntington, West Virginia.

I recall hearing in my youth that the best way (and for some, the only way) to appreciate Frank Zappa was through herbal enhancement.

... whatever THAT means. :googly:

The only way? Preposterous!

I just watched "Live at Pompeii" by Pink Floyd, and Gilmour says "people often associate us with drugs, but we don't do that...you can trust us" and then he looks straight at the camera and grins.

Then it's a good thing you never met some of my more herbal friends from those days, Batman. There were a few that could not enjoy a great sunset without help.

That's pretty unfortunate...come to think about it, that's probably how I'll be describing a lot of my friends in a few years.

It's not classic rock (it's a 90's album) but I don't think I've ever heard music that was more marijuana influenced than "Sleep's Holy Mountain" by Sleep.

3892_216.jpg

songs like -

the long version of Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well

David Crosby -

Laughing

Traction in the Rain

actually most of his first solo album.

I'd Love to Change the World - Ten Years After

Pipeline - the Chantays

Alone Again Or - Love

Whispering Pines - the Band

Surfer Girl - Beach Boys

and

the Grateful Dead had their own chemist in the late '60s.

albums like

A Better Day - Brian Auger's Oblivion Express

Blows Against the Empire - Paul Kantner's first solo effort

Surf's Up - Beach Boys

Side 2 of Abbey Road - Beatles

Number 5 (side 1) - Steve Miller

Then it's a good thing you never met some of my more herbal friends from those days, Batman. There were a few that could not enjoy a great sunset without help.

That´s pretty stupid and sad... drugs were supposed to enhance our wild imagination, not to turn us into brainless people. I believe you just had to do it in the beginnings, take it as en experience just like going to the movies or falling or love or... but not as God Allmighty. I stoped triping in my head some years after I started and now I remember that as a a part of my youth. And I´m happy I knew it... :smile:

Blows Against the Empire - Paul Kantner's first solo effort

Side 2 of Abbey Road - Beatles

Those are some of my fave albums, though I came late to "Blows against the Empire", I wasn´t getting that stoned by the mid 70s anymore. I still love it with no chemical help...

;)

I bought the video diary on the making of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" album. It's a look back, as opposed to being something that was filmed at the time.

In it, Lindsay Buckingham strips down the different vocal elements on "Gold Dust Woman" and several others, and when all you hear is the primal screaming and weird noises of the band, it's eerie.

Anyway, while he's at the mixer doing this, Lindsay looks straight at the camera and says - with a big smile - "There was a lot of drugs involved with making this record." :grin:

maybe it was regional, but we did not have "stoners." We had "lodies" (as in loaded)

Right, Cee Cee?

Oh lord that's right! I left at 13, young and innocent! ;) Here it was stoners. Stoners, jocks, and rednecks, the big 3 in social classes.

maybe it was regional, but we did not have "stoners." We had "lodies" (as in loaded)

Marc, I grew up in SoCal, also (San Diego) and we had the loadies, the goat-ropers, the socs (pronounced "sosh" - long o, like socialite), the fish and the jocks. And then there was me. :grin: