Stoner Music???

So my boss tells me that he has had comments that I play a lot of "stoner music" in my show. Now some of you have heard my show, I think I play a good selection of 60's, 70's, and some 80's music. Now when I think of "stoner music" I think of a lot of early Floyd, Zeppelin, Traffic, Hendrix and so on, music where you get lost in the music and usually long songs or a whole album. Now knowing my listening audience, I am pretty sure they think anything from the 60's and 70's is "stoner music" regardless of the artist. And it does make me laugh, for many reasons, one being a lot of listeners think I am an old hippie chic living on flashbacks....LOL!! So what do you think of when you hear the term "stoner music"?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane, I'm with you on this one. Waaaay back when I was 14 and 15 and getting stoned on a pretty frequent basis (even though all it ever did was make me sleepy) the music I associate with that time was Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bad Company, Black Sabbath, Stones, along those lines. And that's because that's what everybody around me was listening to and at that age I was just trying to fit in.

It wasn't until I grew up, got married, got divorced - and a life - that I discovered I'm a goddess in my own right. :grin:

I guess there are just artists you think of if someone uses that term, "stoner music". I would not think of artists such as...Journey, Heart, and others along those lines. It was a feel at the time back then and many people still associate certain artists with being stoned. The artist and themselves both being stoned, I guess! :grin: But I love music and I like to play what I think the listener will relate to, so I guess this had told me a great deal of what my listeners are like, gee what a surprise! :laughing: :laughing: