wireless festival dilemma

invisible_r

i'm between two days. i should probably go crazy and buy tickets for both but i can't really afford it.

wednesday: the strokes, belle&sebastian, the raconteurs, super furry animals, dirty pretty things, gogol bordello, bob mould, guilemotsthe like,

sunday: depeche mode, goldfrapp, gang of four, mystery jets, the dears, thomas dolby, ok go

• 1 month later...

If you go on the Sunday, don't miss Gang Of Four :bow: :bow: :bow: (Try to get to hear their classic album "Entertainment" beforehand.)

If you go on the Wednesday, don't miss Gogol Bordello. I don't know if you've heard (of) them: they're not that well known. I saw them a couple of months back and they put on one of the most lively and entertaining shows I've seen in a long time...

Bob Mould was in Husker Du forever, and Gang Of Four have also been around for ages.

Bob Mould was in Husker Du for quite a few years (8-9?) but they split up nearly 20 years ago. Since then he has fronted the band Sugar (one of the very few non-British artists to feature on the Creation Records roster)and subsequently recorded & performed as a solo artist.

The Gang Of Four haven't "been around for ages" at all, which is why it's so imperitive to see them while one can. They were around originally for about 6/7 years (late 70s/early 80s) recording three albums (I think: maybe four) before splitting. There was a reformation of sorts a few years back, including the release of new material, but the current gigging line-up is the first reformation of the classic original line-up in over 20 years. (Or rather it was when I saw them last year...) Fact is, Gang Of 4 have been "absent" for the vast majority of the last two decades...

Oh, you.

I merely meant that these two bands established themselves quite some time ago. Regardless of how long they were actually together you have seemingly always been able to find something by them. I would also say that the Beatles have been around forever, but I can see where you would take umbrage with that.

I think I have (or had) a Sugar album somewhere that I remember liking. And I believe that Bob Mould wrote the wonderful "Daily Show" theme. "Dog On Fire" it's called.

Edited by Guest

A "Rockist" would probably go on the Wednesday: that's when all the "cred" artists are on.

A "Pop-ist" would prefer the Sunday when the shallow pop-music is on (with Gang Of Four as a token exception, included only because of their crucial influence on the likes of Franz Ferdinand, Futureheads, etc.)

Don't pay any heed to anything I said there, I was just being mischievous.

The idea of Depeche Mode having any "cred" whatsoever remains one of life's great mysteries to me. For years they were quite simply the worst band in the world, with some of the direst lyrics imaginable. A Bowie or a Cave could eat a tin of Alphabet spaghetti and defecate better lyrics...But anyway, I digress. I'm not sure how a couple of decent tracks-"Enjoy The Silence" and "Personal Jesus"- managed to remedy that. But what do I know? The world seems to love them, and I'm in the tiny minority that still considers them to be a pimple on the buttock of modern music.