The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

3301-00000571L.jpg

November 3, 2003

1. First Breath After Coma

2. The Only Moment We Were Alone

3. Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean

4. Memorial

5. Your Hand in Mine

"The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place," simply put, is a mind-blowing album. Explosions In The Sky creates incredibly atmospheric and epic music, seamlessly shifting and drifting from beautiful and melancholly to violent and intense. However, they do not use speed as means to attain intensity. Also, when the music becomes intense and violent, it is never abrasive; it is a smooth sort of intensity that is very unique. Very impressive is the fact that they make such airy atmospheric music without a keyboardist. Also impressive is how the incredibly simple guitar style is able to create such a full sound. It seems as if the lead guitarist is only playing eighth notes, and relies very heavily on echo and reverb, yet it never gets annoying, and contributes a lot to the overall sound. If Sigur Ros collaborated with Radiohead, it might sound like "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place."

"The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place" is an amazing album with a few minor flaws. Every song is so epic by itself, that upon my first listen, I was expecting an incredibly climactic and epic ending. The last song was about as epic as all the other songs. Some may view this as a problem, but some may view this as showing that all the songs on "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place" are equal. Also, some people may find this album predictable. While this didn't bother me, I can see why some people wouldn't like that aspect of the album. Fortunately, the good outweighs the bad so significantly that "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place" is one of the most awe-inspiring and essential albums of the post rock genre.

If anyone is interested in listening to selections of Explosion In The Sky's songs, here's an unofficial myspace site dedicated to just that :headphones: There is a bit of redeeming value to myspace after all, if you happen to be into music. Lotta fanpages spring up every month. I'm currently listening to a track called "Once More To The After..." (title cuts off). They sound more like a blend of Vini Reilly/Durutti Column and Dif Juz in that song. I also like the little factoid they mention: They used to go by the name "Breaker Morant", one of my all-time favourite films :beatnik:

Batman, which song would you say is most exemplary of what you like about this band? Or which tune made you think this band was worth listening and buying the album?

To be honest, I bought this album without listening to any songs, I bought it completely off of reccomendations (very strong reccomendations). And while it's hard to pick one track that's better than the rest, I'd say "First Breath After Coma" and "Six Days At The Bottom Of The Ocean" are pretty exemplary of the sound. However, it's much better if you listen to the whole album, as all the songs flow together.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think they are very good. They sound like the Arcade Fire without vocals. If you are going to do instrumentals, In my popinion it has to be smooth acoustic jazz, something with a lot of abstract sounds like Pat Metheny's stuff, or an amzing rock and roll guitarist.

I can see where sme people would like them a lot though.

Also, you're right, jazz is great for instrumentals, but plenty of non-jazz musicians and bands make great instrumental music. If you've got the patience for it, "( )" and "Agaetis Byrjun" by Sigur Ros are amazing instrumental albums. They're from Iceland, and their music is really cold.

Apparently they sound like Godspeed You! Black Emporer without the electronics, but I wouldn't know, because I haven't heard any Godspeed You! Black Emporer songs. They are pretty different than Mogwai if you ask me, though.

Here's a very simplified way to look at it

Radiohead + Pink Floyd + Tangerine Dream - electronics + Dramatic movie soundtracks = Explosions in the Sky

Apparently they sound like Godspeed You! Black Emporer without the electronics, but I wouldn't know, because I haven't heard any Godspeed You! Black Emporer songs. They are pretty different than Mogwai if you ask me, though.

Here's a very simplified way to look at it

Radiohead + Pink Floyd + Tangerine Dream - electronics + Dramatic movie soundtracks = Explosions in the Sky

i just asked because they are the only post-rock bands i know. i think i might try and give it a listen, i am very intrigued!

i just asked because they are the only post-rock bands i know. i think i might try and give it a listen, i am very intrigued!

As an old fogey (but one who likes off the wall and different music) can I ask a stupid question? I know what prog rock is, rock, and classic rock. What the heck is post-rock? Another evolution? Techno sounding? I'm just truly interested.

I'm not entirely sure what post rock is, but from what I know, it's a subgenre of prog. It's all current stuff, and is often classified as "alternative." It includes Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emporer, and Sigur Ros.

http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=32

Put that in your adress bar for a better explanation.

Actually, anyone who wants to hear an Explosions in the Sky song, they've got one you can listen to in that link. It's got free/legal songs you can listen to, with no downloads, and one is "The Only Moment We Had Alone" which isn't my favorite from the album, but it should give you an idea of the album's flavor.

I am listening to it right now from that link, "the only moment we were alone", and it's really good. It does remind me of Mogwai, but only their "happy songs for happy people" album, which is my fave anyway!

thanks for that, I think my boyfriend will appreciate it, he loves Mogwai and he is generally a big post-rock fan!

OK, Y'all I listened to most of it. I agree it's very progressive sounding. You'll say no, no, no, but in an ELP or maybe Pink Floyd kind of way, to me. It's just that is my scope of experience, that I can relate to you. It sounds similar to some early 70's or late 60's stuff. In the right mood I could listen to it

To me, it's more emotional and down to earth than most progressive rock. Take that how you will.

That just sounds like rock. Whatever you want to call it, it's really cool. I'm listening to the songs on that myspace and enjoying it very much.

Edited by Guest

However, genres are useful in reviews, when you're trying to describe music.

True. I just hate when you ask someone what they listen to and they give you some pretensious dissertation on some band you've never heard of. And of course they know you don't know the band, and that's why they feel so cool.