did the sex pistols kill punk rock?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sex Pistols certainly popularised the punk movement (something which my much adored Ramones had little success at).

The Ramones are basically ROCK... then, I´d also call them punk, maybe...

Long Live Ramones! :bow:

BF!!! I´m very glad to see you back!!

:):):)

I think one of the things that seperated Punk from Rock was that Punk was intentionally taking a pi** on the established Music Industry--punk didnt want their songs on the radio, they didnt want to play to jocks and hipsters in huge arenas, they didnt want 'polished' and slickly produced albums and songs, and because of this the developed a DIY attitude.

How about if you try reading a book called Too Much Too Soon--which is the NY Dolls story. Or a book called England is Dreaming and another called From the Velvets to the Voidoids or a book called Please Kill Me. They all make it pretty clear that the Sex Pistols were fabricated with the motive of getting fame, attentions and money. Malcolm McLaren stole the look and attitude for the Sex Pistols from Richard Hell. He made them into a bunch of posuers--I cant believe anyone could have really teken them serioiusly except for old British geezers who were so out of it that they really thought that a snotty teenage boy band could overthrow the Queen. 'The Great Rock-n-Roll' swindle was as choreagraphed as a BackStreet Boys video. I admit there was some talent in the Sex Pistols, but Malcom exploited 'punk' to make fame and money, that's why I want to wrap people upside the head who say the Sex pistols invented Punk or they were the greatest punk band, etc. They exploited punk and killed it.

Too Much Too Soon--which is the NY Dolls story. Or a book called England is Dreaming and another called From the Velvets to the Voidoids or a book called Please Kill Me. They all make it pretty clear that the Sex Pistols were fabricated with the motive of getting fame, attentions and money. Malcolm McLaren stole the look and attitude for the Sex Pistols from Richard Hell. He made them into a bunch of posuers--I cant believe anyone could have really teken them serioiusly except for old British geezers who were so out of it that they really thought that a snotty teenage boy band could overthrow the Queen. 'The Great Rock-n-Roll' swindle was as choreagraphed as a BackStreet Boys video. I admit there was some talent in the Sex Pistols, but Malcom exploited 'punk' to make fame and money, that's why I want to wrap people upside the head who say the Sex pistols invented Punk or they were the greatest punk band, etc. They exploited punk and killed it.

That's more like it, buddy. That post is actually coherent.

How about if you try reading a book called Too Much Too Soon--which is the NY Dolls story. Or a book called England is Dreaming and another called From the Velvets to the Voidoids or a book called Please Kill Me. They all make it pretty clear that the Sex Pistols were fabricated with the motive of getting fame, attentions and money. Malcolm McLaren stole the look and attitude for the Sex Pistols from Richard Hell. He made them into a bunch of posuers--I cant believe anyone could have really teken them serioiusly except for old British geezers who were so out of it that they really thought that a snotty teenage boy band could overthrow the Queen. 'The Great Rock-n-Roll' swindle was as choreagraphed as a BackStreet Boys video. I admit there was some talent in the Sex Pistols, but Malcom exploited 'punk' to make fame and money, that's why I want to wrap people upside the head who say the Sex pistols invented Punk or they were the greatest punk band, etc. They exploited punk and killed it.

What the PUNK?! This post is made of WIN :cool:

How old were you in '77? 12 or 13, right? Were you into Brit Punk at that time?

You mean at the time when you were 8 in Chicago (The Home of the Blues) ?

Where can we turn to, now, for those willfully unpolished, hopefully unpopular songs not to be broadcast that we crave ?

How old were you in '77? 12 or 13, right? Were you into Brit Punk at that time?

Truth be told, at that age (which you estimate correctly),I was into the stuff you heard on the Top40 radio show and saw on Top Of The Pops. So I liked the more commercial end of punk: Buzzcocks, Stranglers, Blondie, Rezillos, Undertones, Ruts, etc. as well as allsorts of other pop stuff besides. Having older brothers meant I did get to hear some of the heavier stuff from time to time. It was 1980, when I was 15 that I got really heavily into punk, and remained so for many years. I'm reasonably articulate and pretty well-read: it's several months since I recommended certain SFers read "England's Dreaming" for an informed critique of the naissance of punk /The Sex Pistols. I've rambled on enough times around here about punk and The Pistols: I really can't be bothered to deconstruct the argument you have posited above. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

My views can be found elsewhere on SF, if you search thoroughly enough.

I've lived in Chicago since 1991, before that I lived in small 'River' towns in Central Illinois (along the Illinois River).

When I was 8 I had a step father who was only 21. He listened to stuff like Aerosmith, Uriah Heep, Styx, Doobie brothers, Jethro Tull, etc. He had an 8-track player and a CB radio in his van (tht had shag carpeting, a bed and mirrors on the ceiling) so I was very much ensconced in the 'Dazed and Confused' environment as portrayed in the movie (although the movie was set in a small town in Texas it was exactly like the small towns I grew up at in Illinois).

Edited by Guest

My point was

... uh I guess I didn't have a point.

-----------------

What I still don't get:

Is it your concept that one of the punk 'missions' is to be 'not sucessful', achieve no mass appeal or fortune?

If so, isn't being 'killed' just about perfect ?