Best Jesus film

Mike

If you have a favorite film centered around Jesus, what is it?

Mine is Ben Hur I think it really captures the times and how someone would have "witnessed" His walk in this world. Albeit other films have been centered more exclusively on Jesus Himself, Ben Hur took an "outside looking in" approach.

Meaning in life: I should say so.

Ben Hur is a good one!

I'm a big fan of Jesus of Nazareth: star-studded cast and I love how much time they devote to His young life.

Robert Powell looks like the ideal of Jesus - blue eyes and all. Plus, his portrayal was excellent...

Jesus Christ Superstar. Ted Neeley as Jesus and Carl Anderson as Judas are positively phenomenal. The lyrics and music have just the right urgency and sentimentality, the imagery - telling the tale of Christ's final 3 days using styles paired with modern metaphors - is edge-of-the-seat exceptional, down to the subtle nuances each actor gives his/her performance, such as the facial expression and the accompanying visible gulp (complete with adam's apple) of Barry Dennen's Pilate upon realizing that he will have Christ's blood on his hands.

Just like I can't say enough about Roger, I can't say enough about this film. Watch it, and see if you "get" the metaphors.

If you don't mind a different kind of saviour, check out Alan Arbus as "Jesus out West" in "Greaser's Palace." Or, if you prefer it straight, no chaser, there's always "Godspell." :coolio:

Oh, man. How I could I miss THAT?! Yes! Sort of reminds of the lesser efforts by Jodorowsky: El Topo and Holy Mountain. Crappy movies, but still great curios to have. There's also Pasolini's short film, La Riccota.