The circus left town

Mike

The Circus Left Town - Songfacts

conorclapton.jpg

Conor Clapton, son of famous musician Eric Clapton, died March 20, 1991 at the age of 4 1/2. The youngster fell out of an apartment window 53 stories in New York City. He landed on the roof of an adjacent four-story building. Conor who shared custody with both his parents was with his mother Italian actress Lori Del Santo at the time of the accident. Apartments in New York City since 1984 were required by law to have window guards, to prevent such tragic accidents from happening. An exemption for condominiums was passed the same year, thus leaving the onus upon condominium renter/owners. The apartment which Conor and his mother were staying in had no such window guards. The housekeeper had just finished cleaning the windows and left them open to dry. Conor ran right past the housekeeper and right out the open window.

The death of Eric Clapton’s son had a great impact on his life. He took a significant amount of time off in order to cope with his feeling of grief. Nine months after the tragedy, Clapton returned to the stage.

The day before had been one of the happiest days in Eric and Lory's life. 'It was a special day. Conor and I had come to New York for Easter to spend time with Eric and he had taken Conor to the circus on Long Island. They had such a great time. When Eric got back he looked at me and said, "I now understand what it means to have a child and be a father." He was so happy. That day I saw a new future for us. It was the first time that Eric had ever had Conor on his own. Eric was so happy and said from then on when he had Conor he wanted to look after him without any help. I was delighted and said, "Are you sure?" He insisted that he would look after him, cook for him and wash him all by himself. He said, "I want him to come to London where I can take care of him." He had finally discovered what is meant to be a father, then fate broke this.'

*Eric also wrote, “Tears In Heavenâ€, “Signeâ€, and “My Father’s Eyes†to help work through his grief.

I was 13 or 14 when this happened, I'd just discovered Clapton the previous year with the Journeyman album, which led me to seek out classic Clapton, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek & the Dominoes, etc. I remember being so devastated for Clapton, Conor's mom, the housekeeper - everyone affected by the tragedy.

As a parent, I cannot fathom the impact this would have on your life for the rest of your earthly days. Parents should never have to lose their children.