Platinum Weird - Dave Stewart - George Harrison

OK, I heard a song on "Breakfast With The Beatles" this week. It was called "This Guitar" and was supposedly a work by Dave Stewart using tapes that George Harrison had given him. the DJ called the Band "Platinum Weird". It was George on vocal and at least some guitar. For the record the song was great and instantly became a Harrison favorite of mine.

It seems this Platinum Weird concept is a long term vision of Stewarts. Does anybody know anything about it?

I just found this:

Rock News: 'NEWLY DISCOVERED' GEORGE HARRISON TRACK AVAILABLE ON WEBSITE

Posted on Wednesday, March 22 @ 06:30:11 MST

A previously unheard George Harrison recording has surfaced online, as part of an elaborate hoax about the fictitious history of a new band, Platinum Weird. The band is the brainchild of Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, who was a friend of Harrison's, and pop singer-songwriter Kara DioGuardi, best known for writing songs for Ashlee Simpson and Kelly Clarkson, among others.

Dave Stewart

The track is a re-recording of Harrison's 1975 song "This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)," which he wrote as a sequel to the Beatles' 1968 tune "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." It appears on the website WWW.platinumweird.com, and is billed as a track from the band's upcoming album of outtakes and is described a being a 1974 performance -- which it clearly is not. The website, which features an elaborate multi-media "history" of the band, including cameo comments and video appearances by such "friends" of Platinum Weird as Mick Jagger, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Stevie Nicks, Annie Lennox, Bob Geldof, Christina Aguilera, Paris Hilton, and Harrison's son Dhani Harrison.

Kara DioGuardi

Beatles fans were not fooled -- Harrison's vocal and the production were a dead giveaway, as they sound nothing like the analog recordings that Harrison was making in the mid-'70s, and instead sound remarkably like the mid-to-late-'90s sessions that appeared on Harrison's posthumously-released Brainwashed album.

For more of the band's "history" and music, check out WWW.platinumweird.com. It also features links to multiple other "real" websites that chronicle the fictitious 1970's history of the band.

"This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)" was originally featured on Harrison's 1975 Extra Texture (Read All About It) album, and was released as a single, yet failed to chart. It was the final single released on the Beatles' Apple label.