Update on filming of "We Are Marshall

rtstuff

Well it certainly has been like Hollywood around here lately. Major city thoroughfares have been shut down for periods in my little town for the last ten days. Many large vans with tons of technical equipment have been all over town. One scene was filmed at a cemetery about a block from my house. My mum and wife were extras in a scene today that was shot on campus at the Memorial Fountain. They said it was an experience of a life time. There scene will be shown at the end of the film. These Hollywood folks have actually seemed real down to earth people. The entire Warner Brothers team have been very complimentary about our town and the willingness of the locals to be of assistance.

I have seen some short clips and still photos on local news cast and on the internet. I truly believe these folks are committed to tell an accurate and sensitive story about this event.

A lot of people are really kind of "giddy" about all of this. When I found myself getting this way I just think about the memorial in the cemetery just a stones throw from my front door and I am jolted back to reality. My wife asked me if I was going to the cemetery the day of the filming for a look see and I couldn't bring myself to go there. The date may have been Nov 14th, 1970 but the thoughts of what happened are still too fresh in my mind.

Working at the student radio station as the play by play man for the team it was only a month earlier that the station manager and I chose not to fly with the team to Greenville, North Carolina.

This film will be tough for many folks in this town to watch.

rtstuff

Marshall University, 1971

Your welcome "Peaches". This will not be your typical football movie like "The Longest Yard" or "NOrth Dallas 40". This is about a town and its people never giving up after a terrible tragedy. It will focus on human spirit and courage. As a side note it will employ the theme of water being a sustainer of life.

rtstuff