Goofy / embarrassing or downright boneheaded moves you've made

Kevin

We have a supermarket about 1/2 a block from here . It's a small place , and most people generally use those hand-held plastic baskets for their shopping rather than the larger pushcarts .

Yesterday , I strolled in as I do nearly everyday , and my mind was completely on something else . I picked up a few items ( on a kind of mental auto-pilot , still thinking of something else ) and paid for them ( still in my own world ) , and instead of stopping and bagging the items and leaving , I proceeded to walk out the door - plastic basket in hand - all the way home , right past a number of people outside the shop and along the way home , all the way to my apartment . I didn't realize what I had in my hand until I set it on the sofa ... ! :P :doh: :laughing:

I just returned it about an hour ago , trying hard to look 'cool ' and nonchalant about it as I retraced my walk of mindlessness .

Edited by Guest

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there was the time I tripped on the big stairs of a stadium, but I didn't quite fall so easily. I was flailing my arms like a bloody windmill all the way down to the bottom, trying to keep my balance, and finally hit the bottom and scraped my chin. I had this gi-normous scab on me chin for weeks. Later on, I was skateboarding and fell face first... right on the chin!

:beatnik:

Edited by Guest

Hell, I wish I had that on camera, so I could watch it. At the time, it wasn't that funny. I thought I broke my jaw, but everyone's laughter sort of brought me out of the moribund state the fall left me in. Little things like that taught me that laughter is good even when your face hits the sandy pavement of a stadium.

Edited by Guest

I've fallen twice in the past few months at work, on freshly mopped floors. Now I place the blame on the floor guy...he leaves the floors too wet! My co-workers seem to find it extremely funny though. They had "caution, wet floors" signs made...depicting a caricature of a woman with long hair falling on her a**!

very funny guys. I step very carefully now.

Once last year I got up and went through my regular routine of getting ready and going into work(I teach at a high school). As I am driving into work I noticed that it seemed a little darker than normal. When I pulled into the parking lot I noticed that I was the only car in the lot. Even my buddy who gets to work at the "crack" of dawn so to speak wasn't even there. I then looked at my watch and noticed it was only 6 am instead of the usual 7 am when I normally arrive at work.

Apparently our power went off in the middle of the night and when I went to resest the radio alarm I did it incorrectly.

So I get to work and no one is there. I go to my room to get an early start. I unlock my door and go inside realizing I need to visit the little boys room. As I return from the little boys room I realize that I have locked my room door and the key is inside. Since everything is still pretty dark my only hope is to find one administrator that can get me into my room. I figured that I would have a decent chance of locating him because he generally gets to work around 5 am. Sure enough I find him and he lets me in. However, by now it is just about the time I normally would be getting to work so my chance of getting a head start on the day has gone down the drain.

rtstuff

"The early bird gets the worm" Sometimes!!

I'm sure Kevin will get a kick out of this one....I was waiting for the Mets to come on tv the other day so I see that they are having a rain delay or something...so I changed the channel and figured I would check and see if they are playing a little later....soooo, later I turned on the TV and I see they are finally playing....I mention to hubby "Wow the Mets are doing good again today!"....hubby says "ummm honey, that's yesterdays game they are showing"

:doh:

I have many bone-headed moves....I could be in this thread all day...

Another time at work, the nurse asked me to write down some very important info on the whiteboard about a new med that was coming in...so I picked up a marker and started writing away...after I was done I noticed I had used a permanent black marker instead of the "dry erase marker"...I used window cleaner to try to get it off, and other various things, nothing would work...finally I tried nail polish remover and that worked!.....My supervisor came in later that day and said.....What's that smell?, nail polisher remover????....Oh great now she probably thinks I was doing my nails instead of working!!!! :doh:

I once added one extra "0" to a contract with Lou Reed... and sent it signed (by my boss) to his manager. According to this, we were supposed to pay him one million dollars for a live show. Too good the manager called back laughing and told me to write and sign the contract again... with the due money this time, and send it back to her. I guess I would have been fired...

I too have done too many boneheaded things to count. Typically it's my mouth that gets me into trouble, as opposed to physical shenanigans. I've been known to call up vendors railing at them for sleeping on the job when I need my stuff and I need it NOW!! Only to find out that I'm yelling at the wrong vendor...

Yes , Joe , and the more talented amongst them know how to turn such a reversal into a dismissive " well , you still deserve it for ( insert other reason that she has saved that they have likely long forgotten here ) " kinda-thing and maintain the initiative , rather than retreat with egg on her face . :)