List 23

Elvish

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

If you have lost faith in modern music because of the technology that has taken it over, listen to this album. "Yoshimi" uses electronics incredibly, while still retaining a "real" sort of vibe. I hardly ever hear pop music that is this epic, adventurous, and experimental. For a great example of one of the Flaming Lips' songs, listen to "Do You Realize."

b0007n19rs01aa240sclzzzzzzz2pr.jpg

Adam Green ~ Gemstones

1. Gemstones

2. Down On The Street

3. He's The Brat

4. Over The Sunrise

5. Crackhouse Blues

6. Before My Bedtime

7. Carolina

8. Emily

9. Who's Your Boyfriend

10. Country Road

11. Choke On A Cock

12. Bible Club

13. Chubby Princess

14. Losing On A Tuesday

15. Teddy Boys

I heard that Adam Green is not that well known in America, and that's a shame.

He's a New York singer/songwriter, wrote his first song with 13 and in the band "The Moldy Peaches" (with Kimya Dawson) made the 'Antifolk' popular.

Think of Wayne Newton, all decked out in his finest rhinestone-encrusted suit. Now imagine that he's asking you to dance to the "Crackhouse Blues" or singing about going to a whorehouse. It's funny stuff, though the humor is often more instinctual than logical.

'Gemstones' is his 3rd solo album and he does what he's best at: a mixture of Blues, Folk and Rock'n'Roll with satirical, funny and sometimes vulgar lyrics.

Example :

Gemstones cracking, cause we're just too strong

Drum-sized yearning cuz the pressure's gone

Supervised love, crucified stuvs

Simmering red in the sex farm clubs

There's an exit to this desert

Dangling freely from the shingles in the snow

She's a show off, Xanax Zoloft

Blank faced footprints of the zebras in the glen

(Gemstones)

My favourit songs Gemstones, Down on a street and Emily.

This is the kind of music, while it's playing in your car, you sing along loudly, without really realizing what your singin about.

I nominate God Shuffled His Feet by the Crash Test Dummies. Most people think of CTD as one-hit wonders in terms of 'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm.' While you can't deny the genius of that song both lyrically and musically, it isn't wise to overlook their other work as well. For instance, God Shuffled His Feet is their way of looking at how people always seem to turn to God to solve their problems and blame him for whatever goes wrong. Afternoons and Coffeespoons is another of their more popular songs which takes a comical look at what happens within hospital walls. It's worth the effort to pick up this album. With all the 'hidden meaning' lyrics out there, it's nice to have a band with a mind of its own that says out and out what it means. Their focus is not on deep rooted personal traumas, but a factual ironic look at human beings in general.

This might elicit groans, but here goes:

Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell (1977)

Genres: Rock, pop, classic rock

1. Bat Out of Hell

2. You Took The Words Right out of My Mouth*

3. Heaven Can Wait*

4. All Revved Up With No Place to Go*

5. Two Out of Three Ain't Bad*

6. Paradise by The Dashboard Light*

7. For Crying Out Loud

* Songs that I think are the standouts

Written by Jim Steinman, and produced, arranged and mixed by Todd Rundgren, this album is still Meat Loaf's defining album. Each song is like a mini musical. These songs could fit in on the Broadway stage just as easily as they fit on classic rock radio airplay lists.

I'm not good at describing how something sounds, so here, you can listen to song samples here Listen

elvin.jpg

Rock My Soul - The Elvin Bishop Band

Elvin Bishop might be known as one of the 3 Bs ( Butterfield, Bloomfield & Bishop ) of The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, or through his late 70s pop-oriented hit Fooled Around And Fell In Love, but I only recently 'discovered' this rockin’ R&B style treat from ’72.

When I arrived at a birthday party last November, the host had just loaded a CD. As I was groovin’ to the title tune, he asked me, “Do you remember this? Know who this is?†Although the song seemed familiar and was absolutely exceptional, I had to admit I couldn’t name the artist.

As soon as he let me know, this went on my wish list for Christmas -- and my nephew came through with it as a gift.

Let me tell you, people, there’s not an underachieving track on this album. It was confidently produced by Delaney Bramlett ( of Delaney & Bonnie), highlighting Bishop’s Gospel-inspired energy. Elvin shared lead vocals (“ I recognized early on that I didn’t have the kind that was gonna thrill peopleâ€) with the late great (and thrilling) Ms. Jo Baker.

brr7uq.jpg

This is a great solo album John Fogerty did in 1973. It is a great combination of country, Gospel and the Bakersfield sound created by Buck Owens. All the songs are cover versions.He covers Hank Williams ( Jambalaya), Jimmie Rodgers ( California Blues), and Mel Tilli's,(I Ain't Never).

Fogerty also does,some traditional gospel songs, like Workin' On A Building and Somewhere Listening (For My Name). The singing is very spirited and you can tell he is having a good time.If you love CCR, you will love this.

Edited by Guest

" Man On Your Mind " - The Little River Band

Cool bass line ! Another of those simple yet clever ' Summery ' Aussie sad tunes with boat references ... catchy chorus - great shower tune ! ( just don't try it anywhere else ) :)

What happened to levis' Crash Test Dummies suggestion?

It has been quite a while since I've visited MOC, and I guess I don't understand how it works now.

Thanks for catching that, Bazooka. That's what I get for trying to hurry and post a poll (that and not setting them up correctly :doh:)

Radhi's selection makes the list by default :)

I'll post it later today...