Major Plots Twistage!

PSYCHOcatholic

Have you ever been totally surprised by some big plot twist in a movie? I just saw the movie Mystic River, it has a MAJOR MAJOR plot twist. For those of you who havent seen it, i wont ruin it for you. And if i ruined it by saying it had a plot twist...sorry! Lets just say it deserved those Academy Awards. Whats your favorite plot twists??

I saw "The Sixth Sense" twist coming a mile down the road. Shayamalan beat the audience to death with the symbolism and imagery.

I thought "Primal Fear" had a great twist. "Identity" was not the best movie, but it also had a neat little twist. I love movies that make you actually think, instead of mindless fluff.

And Sara, for the love of all that is holy, RENT RESERVOIR DOGS! You won't regret it.

I thought "Primal Fear" had a great twist. "Identity" was not the best movie, but it also had a neat little twist. I love movies that make you actually think, instead of mindless fluff.

Didn't see either of them coming. I'm real tired of watching Richard Gere basically playing himself, a middle-age successful type who supposedly cares for the little guy, or girl depending on the movie. Those beady eyes just have a frightening look to them. "Primal Fear", however is a great movie and I've suffered through watching Richard in it several times. I did like "Breathless" but that was before Gere became an annoying middle age successful type.

"Identity" wasn't the best movie but even the birthday thing didn't tip me off. Cusack is kind of the anti-Gere. I've always been surprised more people didn't like "City Hall". "Being John Malkovich" certainly had a twist at its ending with Cusack ending up forever trapped in the mind of the child. The whole movie was unusual so it wasn't like I could see where it was going anyway, but I didn't think it would end like it did. That's more because of the brilliance of the writer, Charie Kaufman, than John. No plot twists but I've already talked on these boards about how much I liked "High Fidelity". :thumbsup:

It's interesting to watch when actors reach the point that they can pick and choose roles. Gere chooses to play himself whereas Cusack always seems to pick really intelligent parts to play. A musical comparison of the two could be the Backstreet Boys compared to the Beatles. Flash vs. substance is all I'm saying.

Pshaw all you people, Identity was the best :coolio:, Liota was cool in it, Cusack was "da bomb" in it, what more can I say?

I also happen to love "Being John Malchovich, what a cool freakin' movie (and who can forget who the producer was, the one and only Michael Stipe :shades: :coolio:)

Pshaw all you people, Identity was the best :coolio:, Liota was cool in it, Cusack was "da bomb" in it, what more can I say?

I also happen to love "Being John Malchovich, what a cool freakin' movie (and who can forget who the producer was, the one and only Michael Stipe :shades: :coolio:)

"There you go again," Scott; to quote Reagan from the Mondale debate. Yeah, Cusack was great in "Malkovich". All I was saying is that Charlie Kaufman is a brilliant screenwriter and all the different plot twists are due to his writing ability, not the actors. Does everything have to be confrontational with you? Then again, I did just quote Reagan whom I'm sure you despise. Not really fair on my part. You did, however, make fun of Dennis Miller, so we're even. And I watched "Identity" twice, it's just not one of my favorites like "Being John Malkovich". Peace.

OK, definately worth mentioning is Memento. This movie offers a very unique version of film making in that it is filmed backwards. The beginning of the movie is actually the 'end' but it keeps jumping back in time to slowly reveal the plot.

Also, Donnie Darko, and Mulholland Dr have plot twisting ends.

These films all threw me for a loop.

The Last Seduction (1994) Directed by John Dahl. Written by Steve Barancik. Starring Linda Fiorentino, Bill Pullman. My highest recommendation.

House of Games (1987) Directed by David Mamet. Story by David Mamet & Jonathan Katz. Starring Lindsay Crouse, Joe Mantegna, with William H. Macy. Who's fooling who?

Wild Things (1998) Directed by John McNaughton. Written by Stephen Peters. Starring Matt Dillon, Kevin Bacon, Neve Campbell. Definitely twisted, and don't walk out before the closing credits.

and if you're OK with subtitles, a French film

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not ( A la folie ... pas du tout 2002) Directed by Laetitia Columbani. Written by Laetitia Columbani & Caroline Thivel. Starring Audrey Tautou, Samuel Le Bihan. Don't read the package when you rent it.

It can be a drag to be forewarned that a movie has surprises. When friends ask about a movie that has blown my mind, I try to be subtle in my comments so that they will get a "fresh" jolt.

Frailty, also had a good twist.

You are so right - Frailty had one of the best twists ever, as did Identity - I turned that one off the 1st time I rented it and my daughter made me watch it - Jacob's Ladder has a great twist and Usual Suspects - one of my favorite movies...as is American Beauty (kevin spacey is amazing)

I saw the butterfly effect a few months ago and it rocks- ashton kutcher really surprised me - also Donnie Darko.

As for Primal Fear - just watched it again a few weeks ago and edward norton as aaron - brilliant, whoever mentioned memento - great twist and fight club is friggin' incrdible!

Does anyone remember a movie in the 70's with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve where thry were alone in this apartment and playing this like weird game where you never kept thinking you knew what was going on and then you didn't. The Sting has one of the best endings ever, and Bound was really surprising as was mulholland dr.

Identity was not THAT bad of a film...but come on...honestly...was this not yet ANOTHER movie with John Cusack walking around in the rain???? :laughing:

Ms. Opie, I would like to know exactly what is wrong with John Cusack walking around in the rain? Because it looks pretty damned good from my point of view. :P

BTW, stop giving me Johnny and then taking him away. I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs!

Ms. Opie, I would like to know exactly what is wrong with John Cusack walking around in the rain? Because it looks pretty damned good from my point of view.

Well Ms. Peachy, nothing is wrong with it. ::

Maybe my joke (that I laughed out loud to when I thought it) was a lot funnier in my mind and somehow lost it's humor somewhere between typing it...and clicking "continue"?? :laughing:

I don't know....hey...if you can't amuse yourself some times...what fun is life? :)

Just for you, I will make no more mocking remarks regarding Mr. John Cusack because he IS a cutie.

The Last Seduction (1994) Directed by John Dahl. Written by Steve Barancik. Starring Linda Fiorentino, Bill Pullman. My highest recommendation.

Excellent recommendation.

Not since Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity has there been a more delightfully evil villain.

Most of her work was made easy by the ridiculously naive victim and that very observant PI, though. ::

I won't reveal the ending but it was classic.

It really wasn't a twist for me as I could see what a b***h she was the whole time.

Great acting.

I think my all-time favourite movie with shocking realism, acting and one hell of a twist is William Friedkin's gritty To Live and Die in LA

My highest recommendation.

Willem Dafoe is a master in this one.

Unbreakable ~M. Night Shyamalan

M. Night Shyamalan is excellent.

"It's allright to be afraid, David, because this part won't be like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it.

"

Samuel L. Jackson is great!!

• 1 month later...

Plot twists galore. If you like those, then these films are right up your alley:

The Bird With The Crystal Plummage

A Blade In The Dark

Diabolique (the original version)

The Vanishing (the original version)

Usually, the Italians are the ones who've done the whole plot-twist thing to death (pun intended) as part of their giallo genre. They're usually trashy, midnight movies, but ten times better than the American ones.