Tommy Chong & Basketball Jones

Tommy Chong was the in-studio guest on the NYC classic rock station this morning. The DJ mentioned how comedy singles are a thing of the past. He then mentioned Basketball Jones as an example. Chong said it was wriiten like this:

"Cheech and I were going to a Laker game with Jack Nicholson. Jack was driving his big Mercedes and there was like a mile back up to get into parking. Jack decides to jump out of line and go against oncoming traffic, pretty fast, for a mile. Cheech was in the backseat in a panic over Jacks driving. Cheech just kept on singing "I got a basketball jones" over and over again. We'll the tune stuck and the next day I wrote the song/comedy bit."

I thought that was funny. The DJ ended the interview and said to Tommy, "It's 7:33, do you what that means?" Chong says, "Time to light up?"

Fun.

Tommy Chong made for a fun interview...worth sharing. He is really funny. He tours the country doing a three man comedy show called The Marijuana Logs. He spoke openly about his 9 months in jail...just funny stuff. Said he got the job on That 70's show because they were looking for a famous stoner.

Interesting fact about Tommy Chong: In the 60's he sang with a Motown group called Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers. They had a couple minor hits. One was a very good song called Does Your Mama Know About Me. Another favorite of mine was Melinda.

A little fact from Uncle's Almanac.

My mother had the album of Cheech & Chong's Greatest Hit. I believe it came with a giant rolling paper. I listened to it over and over again. The whole thing was hysterical. Blind Melon Chitlin' was the greatest. He was an old blues singer trying to record a new song in the studio:

Gonna go downtown

Gonna see my gal

Gonna sing her a song

Gonna show her my ding dong. :laughing:

I'm so amused I had to look up the track listing for it.

1. Dave

2. Earache My Eye

3. Let's Make a Dope Deal

4. Basketball Jones

5. Blind Melon Chitlin'

6. Sister Mary Elephant

7. Sargent Stadanko

8. Dave Cont.

9. Crusin' With Pedro De Pacas

10. The Continuing Adventures Of Pedro De Pacas And Man

11. Pedro And Man At The Drive-Inn

12. Trippin' In Court

SISTER MARY ELEPHANT:

Good morning, class. Good morning, class. Class? Class!? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.

As you know your regular teacher Sister Rosetta Stone is on a small vacation. However she does send her love, at least fingerpaintings, and desk club she`s making. I am your substitute teacher, SISTER MARY ELEPHANT.

Class, attention. Attention, class! Class? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.

Young man, now give me that knife. Thank you.

Now class, you all know who I am, so let`s find out who you are.

Class? Class!? SHUT UP!!!!!

CHONG:

Far out, man!

SISTER MARY ELEPHANT:

Thank you.

Now class, Sister Rosetta has informed me that your assignment for the last two months has been to write an essay in titled How I Spent My Summer Vacation. Who would like to read theirs before the class?

Class? Class!? Cla-- SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.

Young man in the first row, stand up, state your name, and read your essay.

STUDENT:

Who me?

SISTER MARY ELEPHANT:

Yes. Read your essay, please!

STUDENT:

Uh, I don`t have it finished yet.

SISTER MARY ELEPHANT:

Well then, read what you have, young man!

STUDENT:

Okay. The first day on my vacation, what I did on my summer vacation, the first day on my vacation, I woke up. Then, I went downtown to a quiet job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The second day on my summer vacation, I woke up, then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The third day on my summer vacation, I woke up...

SISTER MARY ELEPHANT:

Now that`s fine, young man!

STUDENT :

...Then I went downtown to look for a job...

SISTER MARY ELEPHANT:

Now that`s fine, young man!

STUDENT :

...Then I got a job, keeping people from here and out in front of the drugstore. The fourth day on my...

SISTER MARY ELEPHANT:

Young man? Young man? Young man!? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.

Now class, I have a surprise for you! I`m going to read you some poems out of this lovely book of poetry. The sun kisses the morning skies. The birds kiss the butterflies. The dew kisses the morning grass. Class? Class!? Cla-- WAKE UP!!!!!

CHONG:

I gotta go to the can, man!

"ET Eddie Torrez, The Man with the Extra Testicle

Cheech and Chong came to Huntington to do a concert in the late 70's. They came up to the local "Y" and played hoops with some of my friends. I was told they were actually pretty good athleticly. Tommy Chong was pretty good at hoops and Cheech did some weight lifting.

rtstuff