This old guitar - Neil Young

Mike

This old guitar - Songfacts

martind-28.jpg

The Martin D-28 Acoustic Guitar was played by Hank Williams, Neil Young, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Elvis, Jimmy Page, and others.

From Guitar Player Magazine March 1992-

Neil:

I buy guitars mainly to remember something by. If I'm enjoying a place, I will try to find an old guitar in that area, and that will always remind me of when I was there. The way it sounds is the way I sounded when I was there. I've written a lot of songs on a Martin D-18 that I really like, and I stole that out of [manager]Elliot Roberts' office. I always think of Elliot's office whenever I play it. And there are other reasons to buy guitars. You can buy them because they're classics. I collect 'em, so I'll buy an Explorer or a Flying V or a Black Falcon or a White Falcon just because that's what it is. But I got those now, so I don't need those anymore. Material things are becoming less and less relevant to me, so I'm not contingent to buy guitars.

Jas Obrecht:

Is any guitar so rare that you don't play it?

Neil:

No, nothing like that. I've got a Hank Williams' guitar, but I play it all the time. It's an old Martin D-28. I bought it from Tut Taylor. It's always great when someone understands what this is that they're holding, who understands the effect Hank Williams had on all of us. They are sort of awestruck by being in the presence of anything that he touched---to the point that to actually play his instrument elevates them to another level. It's a wonderful thing to have a guitar for that reason. A lot of people who should have played it, have played it. I'm careful about it, but I use it all the time. It's not on a wall in a museum.

edited: to add another of Neil's old guitars

thisoldguitar.jpg

Wow - that Martin needs to go to the Smithsonian when Neil's finished with it.

I think you did the same thing I did at first, Elvis. Read it again and you will see that the aforementioned people had that model guitar, but not all the same guitar.

• 5 months later...

GET OUT!

Kevin, you are lying~ tell me you are lying!

There you are ! - well , better late than never .

Yeah -I'm lying . I was the only name showing on ' online now ' , and laid out this bait to see if you were one of the anonymous users out there at the time . I forgot to delete it when I logged out yesterday , sorry ! :laughing: :angel: