Old School for the New School

I am 22, and so I have grown up on the "in general" crappy music of my generation. I do have many favorites from the 90's, but I know there is so much crap out there it makes me sick, especially in the new mellennium. So I have been turning to Classic rock for the last few years and have become in tune with that to where I listen to basically only that which drives most of the people I know up the wall. I have a pretty big collection of oldies, mostly the staples such as Beatles, Doors, Led, Floyd, Stones, Cream, Janis and many of the other popular bands from the 60s and 70s along with several records of my parents I dug up in the basement. What I am asking you old school people that grew up in this generation, is bands that were not really popular from this time to try that you liked to see if I would like them as well. Thanks for the help

Cowboy, you need to just cruise around the site a little. Check out The Songfators Choice Top Ten in the Music Discussion Forum. You'll probably find anything any of us would suggest, plus you'll see there are more than us "old school people" that enjoy classic rock.

Watch who you're calling "old" boy!! :shades:

Welcome to songfacts by the way!! :)

SP,

Here's a group from the late 70's that you should check out.

Starz

They were a rock group from New York City.

Michael Lee Smith (vocals)

Richie Ranno (guitars)

Brendan Harkin (guitars)

Pete Sweval (bass)

Joe Dube (drums)

Their 1977 album "Violation" is their best release.

Here's my review of the album in another thread.

Starz - Violation review

Here's a link to the Starz central website where you can follow a link to listen to a few of their songs, including "Subway Terror", which is also on their album, 'Violation'. You can read about them, including their reunion with the original members and a new bass player.

www.starzcentral.com

I wanna say Pavlovs Dog! I recently discovered them myself and I really like their music. It is a bit weird, a lot of people aren't into the lead singers voice. 'Pampered Menial' is my favourite album by them (they didn't do very many). If you like prog rock you might just like these guys.

Here's some info:

Pavlovs Dog Official Site

Pavlovs Dog Discography

By your post in this thread, Space Cowboy, I know you'd love mountain. They are very heavy. You may have heard "Mississippi Queen." Definitely worth checking out. I'm not sure why they aren't as famous as Zep and the other heavy blues bands.

If you want some really trippy stuff that will freak you out, listen to the song "Phaedra" by Tangerine Dream. Tangerine Dream is probably my favorite trance/electronic band to come out of Germany in the 1970's. It is music that actually does scare me.

By your post in this thread, Space Cowboy, I know you'd love mountain. They are very heavy. You may have heard "Mississippi Queen." Definitely worth checking out. I'm not sure why they aren't as famous as Zep and the other heavy blues bands.

NANTUCKET SLEIGHRIDE!!!! :bow: :bow:

I didn't grow up with this generation but still know a lot. You should check out:

Marquee Moon - Television

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers

Everything the Velvet Underground has released

Vagabonds of the Western World - Thin Lizzy

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

Everything Traffic has released

Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Fleetwood Mac's first 4 albums (with Peter Green)

Moby Grape - Moby Grape

I hope this is helpful.

You might like some of these:

Foghat

Budgie (a Welsh power trio)

Rory Gallagher (particularly the albums Photo Finish and Top Priority which are more blues/rock than straight blues).

The Allman Brothers Band - very bluesy southern rock

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Molly Hatchett - southern rock with an edge.

Bachman Turner Overdrive (particularly the album Not Fragile)

Welcome to Songfacts!!

:)

" Have you heard about the lonesome loser ? He's a loser but he keeps on tryin' ..."

Talk about a thread opportunity where everyone just shrugs back their shoulders and says, " Boy ! Am I goona tell YOU something ! "

:laughing: :laughing:

Thompson Twins "Hold Me Now " ... :crazy:

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions, some of them i have already gotten into, but there were several suggestions that I am going to check out. I was wondering about Humble Pie because I heard of them in Almost Famous, but didn't know if they were a real band or not. Thanks again everyone